Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What were your childhood competition science fair projects?

I want an idea of the breadth of expertise represented on datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

1. The effect of Listerine on mold.

2. Breeding of hamsters (had to ditch that one since one ate the other one and then ran away.)

3. Grafting roses

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

I still get livid at the memory of science fair projects. In grade 8 my single mom was too poor to afford any of the materials I needed to put together a project. I ended up doing some tragic thing about the fourth dimension being time. No actual project, just poster board with words I copied out of an encyclopedia at the library.

Requiring public school kids to pay for fancy stuff is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

We didn't have a science fair in our school. I frankly thought that sort of thing went out in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

R3 They still had them in the '60s where I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

R3 No, schools still have them. You just went to a crappy school.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

A scale model of the solar system. I represented each planet and the sun mounted on one board and then on a street map of the schools neighborhood, pin pointed where they would be located. It was kind of interesting because most people when they see a chart of the solar system they see the planets all lined up in a row evenly spaced. But really its not. Everything from Mercury and Mars was clustered around the sun but Jupiter was positioned like two blocks away.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

I was lazy, so my science fair projects included:

A volcano

An organizer (made from gift boxes)

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

1. Copperplating (Dad did 60% of the work; ribbon winner in my own junior high school, but lost badly in the state regionals, where the students from the county schools turned in complicated projects that were far better than the ones produced by effete city school students.)

2. Optical Illusions (Lame, but I enjoyed doing it. Big loser.)

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

I did a solar energy project (tin cans painted black and filled with water under black cloth under glass attached to a little greenhouse). It was the middle of winter and my little solar collector got up to 130 degrees during the day and killed the plants. At night it got cold but only once went below freezing. I then varied the stuff in the cans to see if I could improve the performance, but without anything workable. It was a cold winter. I didn't win, but I got an "honorable mention." I was irritated that people won whose parents did their projects for them, but my mother built the greenhouse and my sister edited the report. So I decided I would do it all myself without any help from anyone the next year.

The next year I tested the electric resistance properties of different insulation materials with a little home-made electric meter. The morning it was due my mother came to see it and was so offended that I didn't have a proper display that she nailed two pieces of poster board together with hinges and gave me multicolored construction paper to make signs for it. I did win in my school that year but I couldn't go to the regional science fair because it conflicted with the family vacation.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

We didn't have science fairs in my school district either, although we did many experiments and projects in class. I remember the baking soda volcano and the solar system models, and an osmosis project involving white carnations stuck in a jar of red food coloring.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

I participated in a team effort with 10 other guys who competed in a circle jerk. r5, I understand you are into scat, hurry over, I've got some runny diarrhea you might find interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!