Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Contact dermatitis - ugh

Anyone here have this? Basically my nose and forehead are red, flaky, and itchy. Now the tops of my fingers are too. Nowhere else. This has been going on for two months. Oddly, it goes away if I'm off (weekends, holiday vacation), then flares back up at work. Ha ha, maybe I'm allergic to work. But seriously: I am wracking my brain trying to fig. out what the hell I'm in contact with or allergic to and nothing. My dumb dermatologist gave me steroids, which did help, and a cream, which also helped, but I can't take steroids forever. The allergist I saw insists it's a dermatological problem. Anyone know how to deal with this?? I am about to scratch my skin off.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

Sounds more like dehydration.

In what state do you reside? Weather.

Are you dehydrating at work? Caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

I had a terrible problem with my fingers when I worked in a closed space in NYC - I had bandaids on every fingertip. Nobody at work seemed to care and my otherwise excellent dermatologist tried many things but nothing worked. I have since moved upstate and live on a 19th century farm and this problem has completely disappeared. I haul wood in the dry and cold winters, garden all the time in the summers and the only problems I have are 'normal' from doing this work, in other words, I get splinters and calluses. I am certain the problems I had in NYC were from the nasty air quality and dryness from working in an unventilated building. Good luck getting HR to do anything at all to help you.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

R2, did you expect everybody to circle your fingers and kiss them?

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

I have it on my eyelids all the time - in varying degrees and around my eyes sometimes. It's been so bad in the past I had bleeding. I use a warm cloth to clean the areas, a little Hydrocortisone Cream at times or plain Vaseline. I've found it gets worse when I am tired, getting sick, or if I use cheap eye makeup. I also have some Auto Immune issues though so I believe that is one reason mine flares.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

My dermatologist told me to use a superfatted soap, such as Basis, until the irritation cleared. Look around your drugstore in the skin medication section, as opposed to the soap and shower gel section, to find Basis or similar soap.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

If it is particularly related to work it may well be stress related so as well as using creams to try and calm it I would suggest you try some relaxation stuff as well.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

R5 Not quite.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

Soap in the kitchens/bathrooms at work? Or the towels? Start eliminating things at work one by one...You'll eventually figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

It sounds like a stress reaction, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

Mine erupted at age 43 after a very stressful day (I thought my boyfriend was going to break up with me and throw me out over a huge misunderstanding). It's never totally gone away, but I manage it with prescription tacrolimus ointment.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

Are you sure it's contact dermatitis and not seborrhoeic dermatitis? Does your fore head and the area under your eyes on either side of your nose get red and itchy and then flake and peel like a sun burn? If that's what it is, it's a fungal infection, and any anti-bacterial soaps or oil rich moisturizers are going to make it worse. Try using a dandruff shampoo that specifically treats this; Neutrogena and Head & Shoulders both make one. Lather some up in your hands and rub it on your face in the shower. If that doesn't clear it up, you may need a scrip for Loprox lotion

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

I don't understand why people go to dermatologists or other professionals whom they consider dumb. But it baffles me even more that when they are dissatisfied by the answers they get from these professionals, they come here for medical advice.

A couple of weeks ago in the NYer, there was a cartoon showing a man telling his MD something like, "I have to tell you, I got a very different diagnosis from someone named Poopsy-poo on"

I do realize that people come here for psychotherapy. I wonder if it's only the limits of cyber-space that prevent them from coming here for biopsies.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!