Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Campaign Against Christine Quinn's Run For Mayor

Being a lesbian is not what has these people upset.

by Anonymousreply 15909/11/2013

So, if not she, then who?

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

She is a dreadful, dishonest creep.

Frankly, just about anyone but her.

Except, of course, a republican.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

Don't "Anyone But _____" campaigns usually end in Republican victories, though?

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

I"m gay and I'll vote for a MuniMeter before I vote for this horrid bitch.

She's a vile, obnoxious hypocrite and I not only hope she goes down in refulgent flames in her mayoral bid, but that she's kick off the city council

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

She's a bit corrupt and there's something offputting about her. But New York needs a Democratic mayor now. We've had what 12 years of Repubicans or Republican/Independents. A little balance is needed. I would like to see another Democrat however, and may vote against her in the Democratic primary. May not, on the other hand, gay loyalty runs deep.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

[quote]She's a vile, obnoxious hypocrite and I not only hope she goes down in refulgent flames in her mayoral bid, but that she's kick off the city council

Wouldn't that happen anyway? Wouldn't she be term-limited there, unless she and Bloomberg do another backroom deal?

I don't know, it's probably just a Southern thing, but mayoral politics have always struck me as being even sleazier than regular politics.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

She's not a candidate yet, has to win the Democratic primary. I'll vote for anyone but Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

12 years? Try 20, R5.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

Quinn is just a repulsive scum-bag. It's Bloomberg version 2.0.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

Last year a petition with a thousand signtures was hand-delivered to her office asking for help with the crime problem on Christopher Street.

Community meetings at St. John's Lutheran Church followed, she didn't show up and never contacted the Sixth Precint commmander. Christine was too busy preparing to be "Ms. Mayor" to care about the residents in her council district.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

She's a vile, obnoxious hypocrite and I not only hope she goes down in refulgent flames in her mayoral bid, but that she's kick off the city council

Beautifully put - I only wish I'd said it first.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

Yetta Kurland is running for Quinn's council seat.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

If just some gay would run against her in the primary.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

We've already had our first queer Mayor bitches. And she's fierce!

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

Along with Yetta Kurland, Corey Johnson is running in the primary.

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

A Gay Cuban-American has announced his run.

by Anonymousreply 1602/26/2013

Chris Quinn for mayor? No way

Manhattan: To Voicers Erika Saltzman and Adele DeLeva: I couldn’t agree with you more on how unfit Mayor Bloomberg’s puppet, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, is to be the New York’s next mayor. Quinn has betrayed New York City voters, violated the democratic process and broken the law while masquerading as a reformer — and behind the scenes has sold out the gay community. On top of all the slush funds she handed out to Council members for political favors, she did little to save St. Vincent’s Hospital and left her own district, consisting of the entire western quadrant of lower Manhattan, without a hospital. Quinn was subsequently rewarded generously with a campaign donation from the Rudin real estate dynasty that converted the site to a billion-dollar luxury condo and is now looking for votes from the middle class by promising some fairy tale affordable housing scheme. Who does she think she’s fooling? - Miles Mayer

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

The political club which launched her career may not endorse her.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

She sucks. She's ugly. She's Bloomberg's hand puppet. There has to be a better candidate than her.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

She supports the trash barge depot that will be built in my clean, upper middle class Yorkville neighborhood. There will be garbage trucks up and down York avenue 24 hrs a day, 6 days a week. I don't feel as bad for me or my neighbors because we have the means to move, my heart bleeds for the people in the housing project right near it. They can't move! No one wants this mess in our neighborhood, but she supports it.

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

For a minute I thought you meant Republicunt Christine O'Whatsherface.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

Christine wants everyone to think she doesn't cater to rich folk, which is why she wants the garbage transfer center on the Upper East Side which r20 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

It's sad that r5 "gay loyalty runs deep" would vote for anyone based on their orientation. We need a candidate who'll be best for the city. And from everything we know about Christine, her only interest is what's best for Christine. She follows in the footsteps of Mr. Vanderbilt, "The public be damned."

by Anonymousreply 2302/26/2013

Cynthia Nixon, the gay marriage advocate and “Sex and the City” star, is backing Bill de Blasio over Christine Quinn for mayor

Nixon said her vote was decided over the candidates’ positions on paid sick leave legislation.

De Blasio, the New York City Public Advocate, backed a bill requiring minimum paid sick time, while City Council Speaker Quinn said it could kill jobs in the struggling economy

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

Christine does not want to allow council members to vote on a bill giving sick leave to workers in private industry.

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

Yetta Kurland is an evil piece of crap. She carried a gun until very recently because she claimed she needed it to protect the "language" school where she worked. She's a really scary bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

Good point #20 except there was a trash transfer station in your neighborhood until the late 90s. It won't be "new". You can't locate everything those poor neighborhoods that aren't "clean" and "upper middle class".

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

I hope the candidates for Quinn's City Council seat will have a forum at the Community Center. We need to know where they stand. Yetta is pushing for a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

The Democratic mayoral candidates in the most recent elections have been a dismal bunch. It can't get any worse, right?

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

I wish Fran Lebowitz could be mayor of NYC, but that's never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

I'm sorry Anthony Wiener screwed up. He'd be the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

What bad things has Quinn done? Be specific.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

You ask, we answer, r32

by Anonymousreply 3302/27/2013

She's a self-serving and deceitful cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3402/27/2013

It sounds like she has some serious mental issues.

[italic][bold]Offstage, a Proudly Brash Quinn Isn’t Afraid to Let Her Fury Fly[/bold]

Christine C. Quinn was not pleased.

A session of the New York City Council had descended into chaos, and lawmakers were openly questioning her leadership. Ms. Quinn, the Council speaker, decided there was one person to blame: Betsy Gotbaum, then the city’s public advocate, who had been presiding.

The response was sudden and fierce. Ms. Quinn summoned Ms. Gotbaum to an office nearby and, with little warning, began shouting at her in increasingly angry tones about appearing weak in front of other lawmakers.

“You were like Bambi in there!” Ms. Quinn exclaimed, slamming her hand on a table for emphasis, according to Ms. Gotbaum, who was on crutches at the time.

Ms. Gotbaum was stunned. “I didn’t merit that kind of unprofessional behavior,” she said recently.

As she pursues a high-profile bid for mayor, Ms. Quinn, a Democrat, has proudly promoted her boisterous personality, hoping that voters will embrace her blend of brashness and personal charm.

But in private, friends and colleagues say, another Ms. Quinn can emerge: controlling, temperamental and surprisingly volatile, with a habit of hair-trigger eruptions of unchecked, face-to-face wrath.

She has threatened, repeatedly, to slice off the private parts of those who cross her.

She is sensitive to slights: When a Queens councilwoman neglected to credit Ms. Quinn in a news release, the speaker retaliated by cutting money for programs in her district.

Ms. Quinn’s staff, concerned that angry tirades could be overheard by outsiders, added soundproofing to her City Hall office. Wary of her temper, they are known to ask one another: “Did she throw up on you today?”

Ms. Quinn is by no means the first hotheaded politician in New York — Fiorello H. La Guardia and Rudolph W. Giuliani, both former mayors, were famed for their outbursts.

But those who have felt Ms. Quinn’s ire up close — in meetings, on telephone calls, even over lunches in restaurants — say they are often stunned by the intensity of her episodes.

“It’s just old-fashioned screaming, in a way that you just don’t hear that much,” one former city official said, describing a noisy encounter with the speaker.

In an interview last week, Ms. Quinn readily acknowledged her angry moments.

“I don’t think being pushy or bitchy or tough, or however you want to characterize it, is a bad thing,” she said. “New Yorkers want somebody who’s going to get things done.”

“Sometimes I yell, sometimes I raise my voice,” she added. “I am trying to do it less, because it’s not always attractive. It’s not always the right thing to do.”

A former housing activist, Ms. Quinn is an adept practitioner of the arts of municipal power, unrelenting in her negotiations and not afraid to intimidate. Her supporters say she has brought much-needed discipline to a Council once dismissed as ungovernable, hammering out useful legislation and calming relations with the mayor.

More than two dozen current and former city officials, lobbyists and political operatives recounted being berated by Ms. Quinn, but few would speak for the record, citing a fear of retaliation. They offered nearly identical accounts of their altercations, describing a rapid escalation of voice and vitriol, occasionally laced with vulgarity.

“Her eyes get really wide, she points her fingers,” one official said. “She gets really close to you. It’s really in your face.”

A former campaign donor who had been called to Ms. Quinn’s office to discuss a legislative proposal said: “She screamed at me for 10 minutes, uninterrupted, and used the ‘F’-word at least 20 times. I was just so startled, I didn’t know what to do.”

On telephone calls, Ms. Quinn can begin unexpected diatribes, her voice growing so loud that callers often have to hold their phones away from their ears.

“I couldn’t get a word in edgewise,” said one city official, who disagreed with the speaker over a piece of legislation, “so I just hung up.”[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

[italic]“I couldn’t get a word in edgewise,” said one city official, who disagreed with the speaker over a piece of legislation, “so I just hung up.” (Ms. Quinn called back to extend her harangue.)

Ms. Quinn, who often publicly pokes fun at her own brassiness, is fully aware of her aggressive tendencies, once bragging in an interview that she could “open up the bitch tap and let the water run.” In an e-mail exchange with advocates, Ms. Quinn once offered a wry self-description: “control freak! Lol.”

“When I end up yelling, it’s not really deliberate,” Ms. Quinn said last week. “It’s usually out of some moment of passion or frustration or real desire to get unstuck.”

In the interview — which the speaker briefly interrupted to down an Advil with a swig of Starbucks coffee — Ms. Quinn offered no apology for her behavior, saying, “I am who I am.” But she also said she was working on becoming kinder and more measured. “Sometimes I try to give myself a beat or two before I say what I want to say,” she said.

Still, she signaled that modulation was not her top priority.

“At this point in my life, I’m not going to spend a lot of time focusing on dissatisfaction with who I am, and I’m not going to spend a lot of time tempering my personality,” Ms. Quinn said. “Whatever job I have next, I’m going to be somebody who wants to get things done.”

“I want to be a better Chris Quinn,” she added. “I don’t want to be a different Chris Quinn.”

Ms. Quinn is not the only mayoral candidate who has displayed a temper. One of the Republican candidates, Joseph J. Lhota, apologized last year after a board meeting at which he castigated a 77-year-old Holocaust survivor, challenging him to “be a man.”

Ms. Quinn’s aggressive style extends to private sessions with her staff, with whom she can be demanding. Her aides operate under a Quinn-imposed “15-minute rule”: e-mails or text messages from the speaker must be acknowledged within a quarter of an hour, or there will be consequences.

In strategy sessions, Ms. Quinn can speak colorfully of other lawmakers, often saying, “I’m going to cut his balls off.”

In Ms. Quinn’s parlance, the phrase can apply to women, as well: in the interview last week, she volunteered that using that phrase with a gender-neutral pronoun — “their” — is “a good way of doing it, so you don’t have to wonder about the gender.”

In caucus meetings, Ms. Quinn is perceived by lawmakers as aloof and dismissive, rarely looking up from her BlackBerry and loudly cutting off council members who try to raise concerns about pending bills.

At the end of meetings, Ms. Quinn asks, “Any other issues?” She does not wait for the answer before ducking out of the room, adding, “Bye!”

Even those subjected to a Quinn dressing-down say that, in happier times, the speaker is also unusually adept at turning on the charm. Her anger can be followed by bursts of ingratiating sweetness.

Colleagues recall telephone calls on birthdays and cheek-kisses at public functions, only days after a high-decibel shouting session. And the members of her staff are strikingly loyal, with close advisers staying by her side for years.

The yo-yo effect, colleagues and advocates say, is disconcerting, leading them to wonder if Ms. Quinn’s tantrums are a calculated tool to maintain order, or the byproduct of a stormy temperament that even her staff is helpless to soothe.

“She can boomerang from Miss Manners to Archie Bunker in 30 seconds,” said Dan Mathews, a senior vice president for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, who clashed with Ms. Quinn over a proposal to ban horse carriages in Central Park.

When Mr. Mathews met Ms. Quinn for lunch at an Italian restaurant in Chelsea, the speaker hollered across the table, “We’re not friends,” drawing stares from other diners. She continued, “If we saw each other on the street, we would hiss at each other.”

“It seemed to me like she was a wrestler jumping in the ring,” Mr. Mathews recalled, “trying to establish her dominance at the get-go.”[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

[italic]Ms. Quinn disputed neither the events of lunch with Mr. Mathews (although she said she viewed the behavior of animal-rights activists as harassing) nor her encounter with Ms. Gotbaum (she is now a fund-raiser for William C. Thompson Jr., another Democratic candidate for mayor). She did, however, deny comparing Ms. Gotbaum to Bambi, saying she had instead described her pleading expression as featuring “Bambi-like eyes.”

Several people said that Ms. Quinn’s anger could extend beyond conversation: as speaker, she has used her control of the Council’s funding accounts to punish members who have defied her.

When Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley issued a statement to community newspapers in her Queens district that took credit for saving local firehouses from the annual budget ax, she failed to praise Ms. Quinn. Within an hour, Ms. Crowley was called into a room at City Hall, where a livid Ms. Quinn began to shout at her, demanding to know who had authorized what she considered to be a premature and poorly worded release.

An aide to Ms. Quinn, Ramon Martinez, criticized Ms. Crowley’s abilities as a lawmaker, at one point telling her, “You don’t know when to shut up,” according to people familiar with the episode. (Mr. Martinez, in an interview, said he did not recall using those words at the time, but added, “I certainly could have said that to her” in a separate conversation.)

Shaken, Ms. Crowley left, thinking the worst was over. Days later, she learned that Ms. Quinn had cut the Council contributions to senior centers and youth sports programs in her district. The two now rarely speak.

Asked about the episode last week, Ms. Quinn said that Ms. Crowley had committed “a completely inappropriate, attention-grabbing act” and violated Council protocol. “She was told it was not acceptable, and I did not mince words in telling her that,” she said.

Did Ms. Crowley have her funding cut as a punishment? “It is what happened that year,” Ms. Quinn replied.

Pressed on whether the move was an act of retaliation, Ms. Quinn just smiled: “It is what happened that year,” she said again, signaling that the matter was closed.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

If you want a good person to run for mayor of Houston, you will not line up behind DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

R38, please check your internet GPS. We're talking about New York City.

Quinn reminds me a bit of Rudy Giuliani. Crude, loud, unpleasant, egotistical and selfish, with an elephant's memory for slights (both real and imagined).

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

I've always liked her based on the issues. I had no idea she may be personally, well, a creep. She sound a bit like Anthony Weiner and the horny former Gov Elliot Spitzer. Just goes to show that Democrats can be assholes too.

Bloomberg has been a terrific mayor. I never understand all the nasty posts about him. He is not perfect, but damn he is taking on the good fights right now- for public health- he seems to be the only operative in the US right now with guts.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

If Bloomberg REALLY cared about public health, St. Vincents would still be open.

Quinn's buddy Bill Rudin is building condos on its site.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

Sunday's episode of UP w/ Chris Hayes features a round table with 4 candidates for NYC's next mayor. Of course Christine Quinn didn't have the balls to show up. Found it interesting that she refuses to fight for New Yorkers in low wage jobs to have a few days of sick leave.

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2013

r42, when and where is U w/Chris Hayes seen?

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2013

It's on MSNBC. You can probably find it on their site.

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2013

For the record: Chris Hayes HAD the mayoral candidates. I'm sure the show is posted by now.

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2013

Christine Quinn obviously has the same sort of lesbian rage issues that Rosie O'Donnell has.

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2013

Voting for Christine Quinn for mayor IS a vote for a Republican. She is swine.

That tongue-bath that Jonathan Van Meter at NYM gave her last month was one of the most disgusting pieces of shit I have ever read. I just thank FSM that there was a virtual riot in the comment section for the FACTS.

by Anonymousreply 4703/26/2013

Let a tear down begin:

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2013

Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker, who, despite being a dog lover, has been a longtime target of animal rights advocates because of her support for horse-drawn carriages in Central Park.

Ms. Quinn’s rivals in the Democratic primary have taken notice. Bill de Blasio, the public advocate, has promised that on his first day in City Hall, if elected, he would ban the famous carriages. He described the conditions of the horses, which have trotted through Central Park for decades, as “inhumane.”

On Wednesday, Mr. de Blasio stood before dozens of self-proclaimed animal lovers at an Upper West Side fund-raiser hosted by the famed Pop artist Peter Max. Mr. de Blasio pledged to pursue a bill requiring sprinkler systems in pet stores.

by Anonymousreply 4904/15/2013

New TV Ad Slams Christine Quinn for Role in St. Vincent's Hospital Closure

A new television ad debuting Wednesday claims St. Vincent's Hospital couldn't have been closed without the support of City Council Speaker Christine Quinn while urging voters to opt for another mayoral candidate.

Released by the political committee New York City Is Not for Sale, the ad called "Nowhere to Go" criticizes Quinn for supporting the zoning change that allowed the ailing Greenwich Village hospital to be redeveloped into luxury condos.

"When Christine Quinn allows the things that are most important to New Yorkers to disappear, how can you support her for mayor?" a voice in the ad asks over images of an NYU Langone Medical Center ambulance and a gurney being raced through a hospital hallway.

This is the second TV ad bought by New York Is Not for Sale, which was co-founded by communication workers union Local 1180 president Arthur Cheliotes, Hugo Neu Corporation CEO Wendy Kelman Neu, and the group New Yorkers for Clean, Livable and Safe Streets.

“Today’s new ad calls attention to a community where residents have nowhere to go in the event of an emergency or health crisis," Cheliotes said in a statement. "Christine Quinn played an integral role in letting St. Vincent’s disappear and we cannot support a mayor who would let her donors dictate development at the sacrifice of our communities.”

The ad claims Quinn took $59,400 from Rudin Management Company in 2007, but city Campaign Finance Board records show she received half that amount, $29,700, from its executives.

A spokesman for Quinn's mayoral campaign declined to comment on the ad.

Poll results released earlier this month placed the City Council speaker in the lead to replace Mayor Michael Bloomberg and trailed by ex-Rep. Anthony Weiner.

by Anonymousreply 5004/25/2013

Cynthia Nixon and Alan Cumming are fundraising for De Blasio.

by Anonymousreply 5105/14/2013

Most lesbians and many gays are strongly against Christine Quinn, which is a blow to her ego and to her campaign. And they're lining up in favor of Bill De Blasio. With Liu (how can he even consider a shot at the mayorhoood) and the cockhound and appropriately named Anthony Weiner hot on her heels, it could be one of the funniest and ugliest mayoral races leading up to the primary in recent NYC history.

by Anonymousreply 5205/14/2013

The horse drawn carriage issue is bizarre. Not that I'm a huge fan, but I live near the stable. it's not exactly different from the last 10,000 years that horses have pulled carriages, and it's not like they're plowing fields! Go start a puppy rescue site!

by Anonymousreply 5305/15/2013

As for the post by "Anonymous" about the horse drawn're half right. Horses DO love hard work. They wouldn't mind pulling the carriages all the livelong day, but the conditions need to change. They just have a shitty life. The work isn't the problem, its the way they live when they're NOT pulling a carriage that needs improvement. And they shouldn't be pulling when it's above 88 degrees or higher.

by Anonymousreply 5408/02/2013

Bill de Blasio leads in the latest Quinnipiac poll taken on Tuesday, August 13.

de Blasio 30%

Quinn 24

Thompson 22

Weiner boy 10

by Anonymousreply 5508/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 5608/17/2013

Chris Quinn showed up at this week's debate in a skirt and blouse. It was sort of lilac and purple and clashed with her carrot top mop of hair. Instead of looking femme, though, she just seemed really uncomfortable and a little out of place.

by Anonymousreply 5708/17/2013

Bloomberg's ape is going down.

by Anonymousreply 5808/18/2013

Isn't there anyone on Weiner's staff who has the balls to tell him to just give up now?

by Anonymousreply 5908/18/2013

De Blasio that's the who to the anyone but Quinn question. He will be the best and fairest mayor NY has had in decades and decades.

by Anonymousreply 6008/18/2013

I agree, r60. He's spot on.

by Anonymousreply 6108/19/2013

Agree about Bill de B. Solid guy. And his wife is openly bi!

by Anonymousreply 6208/19/2013

That cunt is getting what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 6308/19/2013

Of course her being a lesbian is not why a great people oppose her. I'm a gay liberal New Yorker. I would love to have a gay mayor of NYC. I would love to see NYC have its first female mayor. But I don't think she's the best candidate for the job.

Team De Blasio!

by Anonymousreply 6408/19/2013

What will Quinn do in retaliation if she loses? She's vindictive against her enemies and if the people of NYC don't give her what she wants, Big Chrissy will be very angry. Will she still be Speaker?

by Anonymousreply 6508/19/2013

I really can't stand this witch.

by Anonymousreply 6608/27/2013

I've known her since she ran the anti-violence project and I'm supporting her in this race.

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

by Anonymousreply 6708/27/2013

Let the Republican win then, you pack of harpy queens!

by Anonymousreply 6808/27/2013

There's breaking a few eggs and there's emotionally unbalanced R67 -- Quinn [italic]would not[/italic] make a good mayor.

Oh! There's also the fact that she is morally corrupt.

Bill de Blasio will have my vote.

by Anonymousreply 6908/27/2013

Christine Quinn IS the Republican, you fucking moron r68.

by Anonymousreply 7008/27/2013

She's a corrupt Bloomberg-Real Estate puppet.

Does anyone have the latest poll numbers?

by Anonymousreply 7108/27/2013

I still can't over all three NYC newspapers endorsing Chris Quinn. Especially the NY Times, which has held her in contempt on every occasion they've published something about her this year. And the endorsement is so glowing you'd think she walked on water. I think someone's buying favor!

by Anonymousreply 7208/28/2013

Never getting my vote. I'd sooner vote for Weiner.

by Anonymousreply 7308/28/2013

The New York mayoralty is not really a partisan position. It doesn't matter whether the Mayor calls himself a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent. In fact, there really is no Republican party in New York.

by Anonymousreply 7408/28/2013

I'd vote for Weiner before her too.

by Anonymousreply 7508/28/2013

TPTB seem to be DEMANDING that Quinn be anointed the candidate. They're quite pissed about Diblasio and Thompson. They didn't see them coming. They thought Quinn would have a cakewalk in front if her due to bloomberg's blessing. They may yet pull some kind of shit on Election day. I'd beware, NYers.

by Anonymousreply 7608/28/2013

Quinn is about as stable a dyke as Rosie O'Donnell. Is she does get to be mayor, it will be a crazy four years.

by Anonymousreply 7708/28/2013

Never voting for that corporate bought bully. If she's the democratic candidate I'm going to vote for one of the independents.

by Anonymousreply 7808/28/2013

I don't buy it either r72. I think those endorsements were bought by her pal Bloomie.

by Anonymousreply 7908/28/2013

If there was any question that Bill de Blasio is the mayoral race’s new front-runner, there isn’t any more.

A new poll conducted by Quinnipiac University has the city’s public advocate with 36 percent of the likely Democratic vote, placing him within reaching distance of avoiding a widely-expected runoff election.

The two other leading Democratic candidates, Council Speaker Christine Quinn and former Comptroller Bill Thompson, posted 21 and 20 percent respectively. Former Congressman Anthony Weiner earned just 8 percent, while current Comptroller John Liu trailed with 6 percent.

by Anonymousreply 8008/28/2013

I love with cretins are forced to reflect on their despicable behavior. Queen Christine thought she was Bloomberg's heiress apparent, but people see right through her act. Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 8108/28/2013

He's got my vote. The hell with Bloomberg's poodle.

by Anonymousreply 8208/28/2013

I love that they even have Thompson beating Quinn in a theoretical run-off. From r80's link:

[quote]Mr. de Blasio also blows away the competition in a theoretical run-off, according to the poll, beating Ms. Quinn 59-30 and Mr. Thompson 52-36. If the race came down to Mr. Thompson and Ms. Quinn, Mr. Thompson would best Ms. Quinn 57-33.

by Anonymousreply 8308/28/2013

Let her go run for Manhattan Borough President since the rest of NYC only exists to people like her when she needs votes.

We still remember being buried under snow for days unable to get around, while Miss Bloomberg made sure "the city" got cleaned up because some tourist waiting to see "Spiderman" is far more important than millions of taxpayers needing to get to work or to the hospital, and emergency vehicles unable to get around.

by Anonymousreply 8408/28/2013

I really like de Blasio, and his wife in fascinating. And his son has a cool Afro!

by Anonymousreply 8508/28/2013

Showed in? Go see a Broadway show!

-Bloomberg, jetting off to the Bahamas - which is NONE of your business thankyouverymuch.

by Anonymousreply 8608/28/2013

I got all tingly reading this.

Quinn’s rationale for giving Bloomberg a third term is because the City was in throes of the economic crisis, and Bloomberg was the only guy to steer us through. By that logic, Bloomberg should have run for president because the entire country was in crisis.

Rudy Giuliani wanted to extend his term after 9/11. That idea was rejected and somehow the City managed. Opportunists can always find a reason to stay in office.

But that is how dictatorships start. It’s happened too many times. A popular leader runs for office, is elected, and then uses crisis as a means to rig the system so they become permanent office holders, dictators.

The country changes presidents in war time. The City can change mayors in a crisis. The City can surely survive a change in City Council. If someone is deemed “irreplaceable” then we have to change the job. No one is, or should be indispensable. Bloomberg could have had a heart attack the next day and been unable to serve. Would New York City have fallen apart? As Charles De Gaulle said, cemeteries are full of indispensable people.

When term limits was first proposed in the 1990s Peter Vallone Sr. was dead set against them. He said there would be “absolute chaos” if the City Council was overhauled because of term limits. Well, the sky didn’t fall. The City has done fine without the senior Vallone and his 1990s colleagues. A good argument can be made that the City is better than ever – better since term limits removed entrenched incumbents.

We refuse to overlook the vote to extend term limits. It is not a matter of moving on, forgiving and forgetting. This is not some isolated vote or position. The issue is enduring because Christine Quinn continues to benefit.

We don’t need a mayor who flouts the will of voters. We don’t need another mayor who doesn’t listen to the people. Christine Quinn only listens to the voice of self-interest.

by Anonymousreply 8708/29/2013

Poll Troll, are you out there?

How is the Comptroller race stacking up?

by Anonymousreply 8808/29/2013

POLL TROLL!!! Good times - I miss the Poll Troll - I wish he was a New Yorker.

I love you Poll Troll - wherever you are...sniff....

by Anonymousreply 8908/29/2013

I'm not Poll Troll, but I know that Spitzer has a pretty big lead in the polls (around 15%-20%) over Stringer.

by Anonymousreply 9008/29/2013

This is why we need Poll Troll and/or Nate Silver!

[quote]August 29, 2013 - Stringer - Spitzer Comptroller Race Is Dead Heat, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; Voters Can't Name A Public Advocate Candidate

Ugh, I do not want Stringer winning this thing.

by Anonymousreply 9108/29/2013

I have not seen a single Christine Quinn commercial. Who the hell is running her campaign? It's like she doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 9208/29/2013

After she loses the primary, she can get a job bartending at The Cubby Hole. She is a phony obnoxious condescending dyke. She marched with the workers of fast food joints this am screaming like the angry lesbo that she is. Hate her so much.

by Anonymousreply 9308/29/2013

C. Quinn only marched with the fast food folks to look like a populist. All of her schemes of the past few years have reinforced the Bloomberg oligarchy - which opposes the interests of fast food workers - or any working people for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 9408/29/2013

r91 - you would trust Spitzer?!

by Anonymousreply 9508/29/2013

PS: r93 What makes you think they would put up with an obnoxious, unnattractive bartender at the Cubbyhole? Those ladies are young and mostly very hot.

by Anonymousreply 9608/29/2013

If she wins, I'll know it's fixed. Outside of Manhattan, no one likes her.

by Anonymousreply 9708/29/2013

Ha, I saw her marching with the fast food workers too and thought, "What an opportunist!"

Quinn does have at least one commercial, the one announcing her endorsements from all three major NY papers. However, DiBlasio and Thompson seem to be on the air more.

Last week, it seemed that I got mail from Thompson's campaign nearly everyday. I've also seen a lot of Thompson mailings coming through my job, I don't think I've seen any for Quinn (or DiBlasio either).

by Anonymousreply 9808/29/2013

I'm voting for DiBlasio. At least he stands for something more than just real estate development, selling out to special interests and political grandstanding.

I'm sick of Christine Quinn and her Bloomberg-lite agenda.

by Anonymousreply 9908/29/2013

Di Blasio is surging ahead of Quinn. No one likes Quinn -- in fact, most New Yorkers loathe her. She is corrupt, vicious, dishonest, and has sucked up so much to Bloomberg that her face is permanently attached to his mouth.

Look at the latest poll, attached,

by Anonymousreply 10008/29/2013

Also, in the latest polls, Stringer has caught up with Spitzer.

by Anonymousreply 10108/29/2013

R97. There aren't that many people in Manhattan who like Quinn either. Her sleeping with the real estate moguls and her helping Bloomberg overturn term limits make her anathema to loads of people. Of all the world's cities, New York should be the ideal place for a woman mayor and a lesbian, but it ain't gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 10208/29/2013

The rise of Bill de Blasio and fall of Anthony Weiner in 1 chart.

But it isn't about all about Weiner's failure. He's running as a good old fashioned liberal candidate and it appeals to voters. Even the white guys.

by Anonymousreply 10308/29/2013

But...but... the three newspapers in town have endorsed Christine Quinn. But even as they have, with great enthusiasm, De Blasio's numbers continue to rise. Who do we trust: the papers or the polls?

by Anonymousreply 10408/29/2013

Fran Lebowitz should be mayor of NY.

by Anonymousreply 10508/29/2013

[quote]Fran Lebowitz should be mayor of NY.

God, I wish. The first order of business would be rounding up all NYU students and shipping them back to the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 10608/29/2013

I am ready to delete my NY Times app and cancel my subscription due to my disgust with the Times reporting on de Blasio. They HATE him, and are utterly contemptuous of him in their articles.

by Anonymousreply 10708/29/2013

R107. You mean the way they were about Quinn until they endorsed her last week?!? I wonder who paid to get that approval notice of Big Chris.

by Anonymousreply 10808/29/2013

If she loses, I bet she'll poor a two-liter bottle of Coke on Tmes Square.

by Anonymousreply 10908/29/2013

Yes r109, but will she crab-walk down the TKTS red stairs?

by Anonymousreply 11008/29/2013

r95 Jesus christ, quit acting like a straight woman. You're not his wife. You also have NO evidence that Stringer would be as good at the job as Spitzer has always been at his. In fact, I bet you don't know anything of Stringer's record at all.

I trust Spitzer. You are a fool or involved in organized crime if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 11108/29/2013

Eliott Spitzer's professional qualifications are exceptional. Question his personal failures, but not his ability to be an effective Comptroller.

by Anonymousreply 11208/30/2013

It's a shame Spitzer didn't remain attorney general. That was his calling, I think.

De Blasio is pulling in a lot of money now.

by Anonymousreply 11308/31/2013

[quote] I bet she'll poor a two-liter bottle of Coke on Tmes Square.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 11408/31/2013

FRan Lebowitz doesn't have anything to offer the 21st Century, for God's sake, especially personality.

by Anonymousreply 11508/31/2013

You know it's KILLING the Times that De Blasio is eating Quinn's lunch.

by Anonymousreply 11608/31/2013

I've lost a lot of respect for the New York Times due to their endorsement of Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 11708/31/2013

I'm from faraway on the left coast and I'm fascinated with this mayoral election. Why do you folks think the NYT endorsed Quinn whom they'd pilloried as an unstable and unforgiving, undemocratic city council member and spokesperson? The NYT's endorsement might just proclaim its editorial indecision and stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 11809/01/2013

R118. And its venality. Lot of chatter suggests people think all three papers were bought. (Well it does replace long-gone advertising revenue and might explain De Blasio's huge lead in the polls.)

by Anonymousreply 11909/01/2013

[quote]Lot of chatter suggests people think all three papers were bought.

No idea what you're talking about

by Anonymousreply 12009/01/2013

The only Quinn ads I've seen have been the one trumping her endorsements from the Times, News and Post. Which goes to show how out of touch her campaign managers are. Right now she's running in the Democratic primary and bragging about getting the Post's endorsement seems so counter intuitive in terms of persuading liberal voters to vote for Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 12109/01/2013

De Blasio will make NYC affordable again.

by Anonymousreply 12209/01/2013

Any gay person I know wouldn't be caught dead voting for Quinn. It's either De Blasio or Thompson but no one is for the carrot-top sellout.

by Anonymousreply 12309/01/2013

[quote]De Blasio will make NYC affordable again.

That will never happen, no matter who the mayor is. The old NYC is gone forever, and it will be the city for the 1% for the rest of our lives.

by Anonymousreply 12409/01/2013

I think all three papers endorsed Quinn and Stringer, and that's all you need to know that you shouldn't vote for either one of them.

by Anonymousreply 12509/01/2013

A real possibility is that after September 10, we will realize that Florida Republicans aren't the only crooks to fuck with voting machines.

by Anonymousreply 12609/01/2013

Is the New York Times schizophrenic, or inept, or both? First, they spend the early days of the campaign dissing Chris Quinn at every possible moment, then they do a complete about face and endorse her, enthusiastically, as the only candidate for mayor. They had no complaints in their endorsement. Today, they return to criticizing her for her role in the overturn of the term limit issue, and suddenly De Blasio is given some positive press. They know, of course, that it's Labor Day, and probably the paper has its lowest possible readership (in a recent line of low readership). Has the paper finally lost its position as the paper of record?

by Anonymousreply 12709/02/2013

Nobody under 40 reads newspapers anymore, r127.

by Anonymousreply 12809/02/2013

Nobody gives a fuck what people under 40 allegedly "do" or don't.

by Anonymousreply 12909/02/2013

[quote]Any gay person I know wouldn't be caught dead voting for Quinn. It's either De Blasio or Thompson but no one is for the carrot-top sellout.

And if she wins the nom, which she will, then what? You wanna stay home/vote for the Repug? Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 13009/02/2013

R130, please come back in 2 weeks so I can gloat when your cankled queen gets her ass kicked.

by Anonymousreply 13109/02/2013

She may have been a Bloomberg supporter but so what. It gave her access to power to better serve her constituents.

Now it's wrong to have a powerful ally? Since when?

She's savvy to the ways to get things done, so she'd make an effective mayor.

You may disagree with some of Bloomberg's policies but I think an objective assessment of his tenure will find the city in better shape now than 12 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13209/02/2013

In better shape for the 1%, maybe. Everybody else is no longer welcome.

by Anonymousreply 13309/02/2013

r128 Most people under 40 don't vote, so their opinions are irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 13409/02/2013

ABQ, R132. ABQ. For me, voting for Lhota is a possibility if it means keeping that vicious, soulless person out of office.

by Anonymousreply 13509/03/2013

[quote]And if she wins the nom, which she will, then what?

If she wins the nom, we'll know it's bullshit. NO ONE outside of Manhattan likes her. Bloomberg was good for Manhattan and told the rest of us to go fuck ourselves despite the fact that we also pay tons in taxes - we don't get a break for being an "outer borough."

The majority of the city lives outside of "the city," so Bloomberg's toady can go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 13609/03/2013

The latest Quinn mailer that I saw, aimed at Latinos, proclaimed that she's for affordable housing and better wages. Right, ok.

I still haven't decided who to vote for for mayor (although it definitely won't be Quinn), comptroller, public advocate, or city council.

On a side note, there is a council district in the Bronx in which three openly gay candidates are running in the Democratic primary.

by Anonymousreply 13709/03/2013

That sounds desperate on Quinn's part. Would they actually believe it? Now DeBlasio has opened up a lead (43%) that would let him avoid a run-off.

by Anonymousreply 13809/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 13909/03/2013

Don't forget to watch the last Mayoral Primary Debate tonight on WNBC at 7:00pm.

by Anonymousreply 14009/03/2013

Interesting that Quinn is far too stupid to realize that by bragging about getting the endorsement from the NY Post, she's turning off all the liberal voters, which is about 95 percent of the primary turnout. What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14109/03/2013

WTF?! Mayor Bloomberg states Quinn and Lhota are the best candidates to replace him then goes on to call De Blasio a racist for featuring his inter-racial family in ads and he complains about "class warfare" of De Blasio's campaign. This may help seal the primary for DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 14209/07/2013

He also used that Fox News argument about the poor not really being that poor, compared to the rest of the world.

"They have air conditioning and cars!"

by Anonymousreply 14309/07/2013

Nanny Bloomberg is so out of touch with the people of New York. He's elite and he can't see anything else except the 1%. Good riddance, Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 14409/07/2013

I thought that too, r142. It's only going to help deBlasio.

I don't want Quinn to lose. I want her crushed in a humiliating defeat, her mayoral hopes smashed to smithereens.

by Anonymousreply 14509/07/2013

De Blasio will finally make NYC affordable! No more outrageous rent hikes. Maybe I can finally breathe again.

by Anonymousreply 14609/07/2013

Do you really believe it? Cheaper rents? Affordable? I think it's a pipe dream, although I'll vote for De Blasio too. And hope there's no need for a runoff.

by Anonymousreply 14709/07/2013

I read in the Times that this cunt actually screams in her offices and at staffers when she is mad. Screams. Can you imagine? Who would vote for someone who lacks such control of themselves? It is almost as bad as voting for Weiner. Does she realize how bad she makes herself look, and how she is giving herself the label "bitch" even if she is a smart and effective lady, just because she loses her temper and screams? The article also says she is very vengeful, pulling the plug on projects if the sponsors piss her off. Oy, I'm voting for Thompson. At least he won't put a trash plant in Yorkville.

by Anonymousreply 14809/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 14909/09/2013

She's finally running her ads. She doesn't seem to have a message other than "Christine Quinn: the Establisment's Choice"! She's really not watching the polls if she thinks that's what she needs to win.

by Anonymousreply 15009/09/2013

Charter schools: darling of Right Wingnut policy

Where does Quinn stand on them? She LOVES them of course! Fuck the public education system, she wants MORE charters!

[quote]Ms. Quinn is unapologetic in her support for charter schools. She wants to expand their number over the next several years. But she has also called for giving communities more say in choosing sites for charter schools, and she has pushed for a deeper analysis of enrollment trends.

by Anonymousreply 15109/09/2013

Quinn got KICKED TO THE CURB tonight!

by Anonymousreply 15209/10/2013

Guess not enough people bought into the Ny Times whoring of Chris. The paper of record seems to have become the paper of being bought!

by Anonymousreply 15309/10/2013

How embarrassing for the NY papers to have all endorsed Quinn only to see her lose in such a smashing defeat.

I thought more highly of the NY Times at least. I'm glad that their editorial board was at least split between her and de Blasio who the endorsement article did admit aligned more with the Time's political philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 15409/10/2013

Quinn fucked herself by running a "scorched earth" campaign. I don't picture anyone wanting to work with this woman after the way she has conducted herself. I feel sorry for her partner tonight. You just know Quinn is going to be mighty churlish tonight!

by Anonymousreply 15509/10/2013

"No nooky tonight, Kim!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 15609/10/2013

Meanwhile, that barebacker whore Corey Johnson won her City Council seat.

Great role model.

by Anonymousreply 15709/10/2013

Lesbian Bed Death.

by Anonymousreply 15809/11/2013

[quote]Charter schools: darling of Right Wingnut policy. Where does Quinn stand on them? She LOVES them of course! Fuck the public education system, she wants MORE charters!

That's because she was sucking up to her master who is a huge supporter of the charter school movement and Michelle Rhee's erroneously named "Students First."

by Anonymousreply 15909/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!