Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can You be a Stateless Person?

No, not a person without a country like Gérard Depardieu, I'm talking about not being an official resident of any State.

Let's say I move to Amsterdam, I have no assets in the US, and all my income is from passive sources like dividends from traded stocks, and the monthly statements are delivered to my email address. I cancel my voter registration, and give up my driver's license.

At that point I'm still a citizen of the US, but will some State try to claim me for taxes, especially inheritance tax? If so, can I get a Federal Driver's license? I'm still a citizen, so how and where do I register to vote?

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

You vote in Amsterdam as an ax pat. And taxes are taken care of via tax treaties..

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

You know that they have states without state income tax, don't you? Set up an address in one of those and keep all your money off shore!

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

Nevada and Texas are two I know of without state income tax.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

According to this linked site, it can be complicated, and depend upon your most recent home state.

The short version is: a few states make it easy to relinquish their claim on you as a resident (namely, those with no state income tax); four of them make it very difficult (meaning, you have a very high threshold to prove you are no longer a resident of the state); and the rest are neutral, meaning they can make a claim on you going forward, but don't make it terribly difficult to claim that you have relocated to another state.

As best I can tell, US citizens can never get to a point where they have "no" home state.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

I lost my Cuban citizenship when I left the Island in 1962 so I was technically stateless until I became a U.S. citizen in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

What a load of bull shit. You pay state tax in the state where you work and the state where you reside. Unless your state has a reciprocal agreement that eliminates this.

I remember for awhile Indiana and Illinois failed to come to an agreement and one year people had to file state tax in both states, if they lived in one state and worked in another.

Now Illinois has agreements with all border states, that border it, that eliminate that.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!