Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Advocate's New List: America's Gayest Cities, 2013

At least they explain their criteria this time. I am shocked to see SLC and Colorado Springs, of all places, on the list.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

The same criteria as last year, and mostly the same results, so I'm not sure why the surprise.

Six (of only 9) criteria are, again, fairly ridiculous, leaving Transgenders and Bisexuals and Fabulists to steer the car:

Concerts by Scissor Sisters, Uh Huh Her, Girl in a Coma, and cast of Glee 1 point for each stop since 2009

Fabulous shopping 1 point each if a city has Whole Foods, West Elm, or Pottery Barn stores

Transgender protections 1 point for every jurisdiction with laws prohibiting discrimination, according to National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

Gay rugby 1 point for each team

Bisexual resource groups 1 point per organization, according to BiNetUSA

Roller Derby 1 point for each league

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

THE CRITERIA

LGBT elected officials According to Victory Fund; 1 point for each federal, state, and local official in office or elected in 2012 +

HRC Corporate Equality Index 100s 1 point for each company located in a city +

Concerts by Scissor Sisters, Uh Huh Her, Girl in a Coma, and cast of Glee 1 point for each stop since 2009 +

Fabulous shopping 1 point each if a city has Whole Foods, West Elm, or Pottery Barn stores +

Transgender protections 1 point for every jurisdiction with laws prohibiting discrimination, according to National Gay and Lesbian Task Force + Gay rugby 1 point for each team +

Bisexual resource groups 1 point per organization, according to BiNetUSA +

Roller Derby 1 point for each league +

Marriage equality 5 points

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

15. St. Louis

14. Salem, Ore.

13. Colorado Springs, Colo.

12. Providence, R.I.

11. Oakland, Calif.

10. Twin Cities, Minn.

9. Atlanta

8. Madison, Wis.

7. Eugene, Ore.

6. Salt Lake City

5. Seattle

4. Washington, D.C.

3. Spokane, Wash.

2. Springfield, Mass.

1. Tacoma, Wash.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

This is so silly. The Advocate is desperate to stay "relevant".

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

Believe me, there is nothing fabulous about Tacoma or Spokane. Two fairly depressing locales. Not sure how Seattle ended up being at the bottom of the 3 Washington state cities. This just goes to show these lists are meaningless. Why didn't they take away points for things like having Focus on the Family having a headquarters?

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

[quote] Concerts by Scissor Sisters, Uh Huh Her, Girl in a Coma, and cast of Glee 1 point for each stop since 2009

[quote]Fabulous shopping 1 point each if a city has Whole Foods, West Elm, or Pottery Barn stores

This is why I hate us.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

This may be the stupidest list I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

Colorado Springs is on there because it is the HQ of US Figure Skating.

(Figure skaters have a bit of a rep for this)

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

These lists are only interesting if they come up with 'surprising' results, so they are forced to come up with ridiculous criteria to get them there. And these are pretty ridiculous criteria.

Not all of the cities are bad. Madison, Eugene, and Springfield are actually all pretty wonderful in their own way, and all three are gay-friendly. But the suggestion that St. Louis a gayer city than Chicago (or a more gay-friendly city); that Oakland is gayer than San Francisco; or that Providence is gayer than New York are ludicrous, defying both common sense and any reasonable list of criteria that would actually impact a gay person's life.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

LAST YEAR'S LIST

15. Denver

14. Long Beach

13. Austin

12. Portland

11. Little Rock

10. Grand Rapids

9 . Atlanta

8. Knoxville

7. Minn./St. Paul

6. Ann Arbor

5. Seattle

4. Ft. Lauderdale

3. Cambridge

2. Orlando

1. Salt Lake

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

Is this a real list or just political posturing?

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

The Advocate left out nude yoga classes this year.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

These kinds of lists are just playing to a demographic. For every city listed they know a good number of people from that area will post the link on their Facebook, Twitter etc and drive up the revenue rates.

There's not a shred of actual journalism here. It's just demographic cat- calling.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

R9 correct.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

I had no idea the Advocate had gotten so idiotic. That's the dumbest list of 'criteria' I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

I know these lists aren't meant to be taken so seriously, but I think the first problem is in bunching up LGBT into one ball.

Obviously, the top cities for gay men aren't necessarily going to be the same as the top cities for lesbians/bi/trans/etc.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

It's interesting that Chicago, L.A. and NYC didn't even get a mention. They lose all credibility with those omissions.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

Did they not include Palm Springs because it's too small? Because there's no way that it is less gay than Grand Rapids or Colorado Springs!

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

You can't swing a dead cat anywhere within the Dallas city limits without hitting a gay. Every gay boy and girl from small town Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas moves there.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

R19 I've always heard that Houston was gayer than Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

Springfield, Massachusetts? What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

Really? Who cares and further...who the hell travels to the US anymore.m I'll tell ya...no one.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

Colorado Springs? No way. My family lives there and I travel there quite often. Maybe it's the areas I'm in while I visit, but I just don't see that many gay people, especially couples. In fact when I see a couple out in a restaurant, it's always kind of a shock because it's that rare.

Salt Lake City on the other hand is more progressive than you'd think, and it's where the gays, progressives, non-Mormons, etc. flock to in the state.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

Does anyone need to live in a "gay" city? Quality of life is neither straight nor gay. Live where you feel comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

Please!

#23 Cincinnati

#24 Fort Lauderdale

There is no comparison!

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

Salt Lake City? Mormon Country? I hardly think so.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

Here's my list (criteria: common sense)

1. New York City 2. Seattle 3. Boston/Cambridge 4. Washington, DC 5. San Francisco 6. Los Angeles 7. Baltimore 8. Chicago 9. Portland, OR 10. Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

R27 Baltimore? Just because John Waters is there?

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

Well, we're all talking about the list and that seems to have been its raison d'etre. "Advocate" is stirring shit and getting press.

If they had framed it as "America's Gayest Small Cities", they would've kept their credibility.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

Houston has a gay mayor. But Austin is the gayest city in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

Here's my list: 1. San Francisco 2. New York City 3. Chicago 4. Los Angeles 5. Atlanta 6. Washington, DC 7. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 8. Seattle 9. Houston 10. Minneapolis-St. Paul

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

I live in Providence, and I have yet to see any signs of a gay scene. I'm vaguely aware that there's a gay bar somewhere around, and there's a pride festival every June that seems to draw everyone between Woonsocket and Little Compton and even as far away as North Dighton, Mass., but compared with other places I've lived (some of them a lot smaller and and not particularly gay) this is hetville.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

jessica lange was definitely hot and sexy in "king kong."(1976),"All that Jazz."(1979),"How to beat the high cost of living."(1980), and her very hottest movie was "The Postman Always Rings Twice."(1981),the rumor was that jessica lange had SEX with jack nicholson on-screen/off-screen. It did look to me tha JESSICA LANGE AND JACK NICHOLSON were really having SEX.i think they did.Jessica lange had a great face,Boobs(36C),Hips/Ass(36)waist(24),overall a perfect 10 body figure.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

[quote] Fabulous shopping 1 point each if a city has Whole Foods, West Elm, or Pottery Barn stores

Truly cool, gay friendly cities have LOCAL stores that offer great food and/or wonderful, unique furniture.

FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.