Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay poet named to be Inaugural Poet

Gay Cuban American poet Richard Blanco was chosen to write & read a poem at Obama's 2nd inauguration.

And he's darn good! Bravo Obama & Bravo Richard Blanco!

by Anonymousreply 4701/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

Is he having his gay-hatin' preacher, Rev. Wrong, again?

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

No, the invokation is going to be given by Medgar Evers' widow Myrlie Evers-Williams.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

And he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

Damn I didn't know there was a competition. I coulda written an inaugural poem!

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

I can guarantee I'd do a better job than that kid, who looks like his real job is working out and styling that hair.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

I got a scoop on the poem he wrote just for the inauguration:

There once was a man from Havana,

Who thought he could play the piano.

His fingers slipped,

His zipper unzipped.

And out popped his Cuban banana!

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

Kid? He's 45 years old! I think you may be too old for the Internet, R6.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

Richard Blanco is smart, talented, and HOT! Definitely husband material. Sadly, he is already taken.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

Of course, he HAD to be labeled as "Cuban" because, you know, just being "gay" would cause a bit too much heat. We needed a deflector. ..Just in case.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

Obama needs to have all groups represented at his Inauguration. With Richard Blanco, he tskes care of both gays and Hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

I'd rather see Maya Angelou after a couple bloody mary's.

Kelly Clarkson is singing "America, the Beautiful."

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

Kelly 'I backed Ron Paul' Clarkson? wow.

They said he was cuban so you knew he had a big cock.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

Cuban dreamboat.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

he is HOT

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

All right, I have to play devil's advocate here. This guy was chosen because he's Latino and gay. And ok, I'm all for visibility and having a seat at the table.

But how about, for once, we honor the truly amazing poets in this country, regardless of their demographic? There's not much indication this guy is truly among the best poets this country has to offer. I don't like seeing poetry used as nothing more than a boost for minority self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

I'd let him blow me.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

Pres. Obama believes in quotas, and he's got a trifecta in Blanco.

He then appeases the opposite demographic: fat stupid rightwingers, with the fundie Chik-Fil-A fuckwad religious nutbag doing the homily, or whatever religious crap he'll be spewing.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

Are you saying he is not an amazing poet R16?

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

Upon reading some of his poems, he doesn't strike me as especially talented. His poems are very ordinary and safe, which is probably why he was chosen.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

I like this poet:

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

[quote]Kelly Clarkson is singing "America, the Beautiful."

She can sing okay, but there's no way that she'll be able to compete with Aretha's hat. That hat nearly stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

Whoa, somebody got diversity within the gay community right for 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

This to neutralize the anti-gay pastor selected for the benediction. I can't wait for the day when the last tyrant is strangled with the entrails of the last pastor.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

What rhymes with pinga?

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

To counter all that GAYNESS...

Obama Managed to Find Another Inauguration Pastor Who Thinks Gay People Are Evil

Louie Giglio is the new Rick Warren: Just like last time, President Obama's inauguration will feature a prayer from a religious leader with a history of anti-gay remarks. Giglio, the pastor of the Passion City megachurch in Atlanta, will deliver the benediction, according to an announcement today, while the less controversial Myrlie Evers-Williams, widow of murdered civil rights leader Medgar Evers, will give the invocation. It didn't take long for ThinkProgress to track down Giglio's mid-nineties sermon "In Search of a Standard – Christian Response to Homosexuality" (available here as an mp3!). "Homosexuality is sin," he says. "If you want to hear God's voice, that is his voice to this issue of homosexuality. It is not ambiguous and unclear. It is very clear." We've heard this kind of stuff before. Giglio compares being gay to alcoholism and overeating; says homosexuals aren't getting into heaven; calls it a lifestyle; and begs them to change. "And the only way out of a homosexual lifestyle, the only way out of a relationship that has been engrained over years of time, is through the healing power of Jesus," he preaches. "It's not easy to change, but it is possible to change." Granted this was a long time ago, but that's some pretty definitive language. "A spokesman for Giglio was not immediately available to respond to questions about whether this sermon represents Giglio's current thinking," according to ThinkProgress. Salon also points to Giglio's 2006 book Wired: For a Life of Worship, which says teenagers are "wired for the opposite sex, for sure," as well as a 2010 endorsement from the anti-gay American Family Association. Additional raving about Giglio can be found at In 2008, Obama's selection of Warren was seen as a conciliatory gesture toward conservative Christians, but also considered something of a betrayal by his progressive supporters. As if anticipating the same reaction this time around, Giglio said in a statement, "During these days it is essential for our nation to stand together as one. And, as always, it is the right time to humble ourselves before our Maker." And for the record, Giglio's dad created the Chick-Fil-A logo.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

That makes sense, R21. Robert Frost is a 'safe' poet - I know someone will deny this, but he is very plainly spoken compared to people like Gerard Manley Hopkins or John Ashbery - and Maya Angelou's later poetry is also very 'safe'. This guy's work is probably something so anodyne and cliche that no one could be offended.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

Why does Obama find it necessary to counter every gay affirmative act with an anti-gay act?

This Louie Giglio anti-gay pastor does not add anything to Obama's legacy or beliefs. Unless Obama is still not quite comfortable with the gays.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

To be fair the pastor is the hottest thing on the youth revival circuit. That he is also anti-gay is a given.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

WTF?! I can't believe Obama will have a fucking aggressively anti-gay minister giving the benediction! Just when you think they're for justice & equality for us they go and make like unwanted guests at the inauguration.

Who can go listen to this hateful ignorant pig now? It's ruined yet another inauguration with hate.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

Woof! Where can I get one of those?

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

Obama has fooled the gays once again. Barack you suck! Take your religious bigots and just fuck off back to Jesus where you belong.

What a fucking asshole you've turned out to be.

by Anonymousreply 3401/10/2013

[quote]Who can go listen to this hateful ignorant pig now?

There is a need to have a big uproar over hate-monger Louie Giglio.

by Anonymousreply 3501/10/2013

So, Garrison Keillor, the homophobic dochebag that he is, gives his response in this article. I never liked Prairie Home Companion... changed stations whenever it was on.

by Anonymousreply 3601/10/2013

Richard Blanco....Muy Caliente!!!

by Anonymousreply 3701/10/2013

I want him in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 3801/10/2013

Louie Giglio "pulled out" over this.

by Anonymousreply 3901/10/2013

Garrison Keillor is exactly right, though. No one is there to here an obscure poem, especially when it is 25 degrees outside. The WAPO music critic had an article that basically said the same thing about the inclusion of classical music as being "music at its most utilitarian: It represents art without necessarily being art." The whole inauguration ceremony has gotten out of hand. They should just do the swearing in somewhere inside and then maybe have a parade.

by Anonymousreply 4001/11/2013

For the record, Rev. Louie Giglio is no longer giving the benediction at Obama's inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 4101/11/2013

Richard Blanco is gay and Cuban, which gives him twice the hotness.

by Anonymousreply 4201/13/2013

[quote]They should just do the swearing in somewhere inside and then maybe have a parade.

For RR's second inaugural, the weather turned bitter cold so they moved it inside and cancelled the parade. Millions of dollars down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 4301/13/2013

"Ode to My Uncut Pinga" has a nice ring to it. But Richard Blanco will probably recite a kiss-ass poem, comparing Barry O. to Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and (both) Roosevelts.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

Whose his bf?

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

The press doesn't say, only that Blanco and his partner live together in rural Maine.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

My local paper tried to get a statement from Mr. Blanco but had to make do with his straight (but more talkative) brother.

by Anonymousreply 4701/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!