Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BAFTA Nominations: No Spielberg, DiCaprio

PICTURE: Argo/ Les Miserables / Life of Pi / Lincoln / Zero Dark Thirty

BRITISH FILM: Anna Karenina / Best Exotic Marigold Hotel / Les Miserables / Seven Psychopaths / Skyfall

DIRECTOR: Michael Haneke / Ben Affleck / Quentin Tarantino / Ang Lee / Kathryn Bigelow

ACTOR: Ben Affleck / Bradley Cooper / Daniel Day-Lewis / Hugh Jackman / Joaquin Phoenix

ACTRESS: Emmanuelle Riva / Helen Mirren / Jennifer Lawrence / Jessica Chastain / Marion Cotillard

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Alan Arkin / Christophe Waltz / Javier Bardem / Phillip Seymor Hoffman / Tommy Lee Jones

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Adams / Anne Hathaway / Helen Hunt / Judy Dench / Sally Field

by Anonymousreply 7001/10/2013

Suck it, Tom Hooper.

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

No McConaughey for "MM" in Supporting.

No Watts for "Impossible" in Lead.

Should be very interesting when the noms are read.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

Ben Affleck for acting in Argo is a surprise; no one had recognized him for that previously. Will probably be replaced by Denzel in Flight tomorrow.

Otherwise everything looks as expected. Will probably be one of the more anticlimactic Oscar nominating slates.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

It's Judi!

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

Very interesting BAFTA nominations. Best actress nods for 2 French actresses: Riva and Cotillard ... I think it will be Riva's turn this year though Cotillard is the critics' darling, but she had already won, and Riva in her 80s is astounding.

Trintignant not nominated for Best Actor though Haneke gets Best Director nod. I imagine AMOUR will scoop some major prize being the arthouse crossover hit of the year.

LINCOLN, LEZ MIZ and ZERO DARK THIRTY, HITCHCOCK or the Tarantino have not actually opened publicly here in the UK yet...and no director nod for Spielberg but yes for Quentin ! Affleck may be the dark horse here.

THE MASTER only gets best original screenplay and actor nominations ... I still dont want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

Ben Affleck is a good director but everybody knows his acting is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

Hooper not getting nominated in his home country is a major indication of how his direction is being viewed. He sinks the movie's award chances.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

Aaron Taylor-Johnson should get a supporting nomination just for being so gorgeous in Anna Karenina.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

I just can't imagine a Best Supporting Actress slate that doesn't include a first-time nominee. It's the one race that most often has at least one (last year there were four). I've also been seeing several articles about Ann Dowd on various sites. Her personal story and the fact that she's exactly the kind of journeywoman actress for which Best Supporting Actress was originally intended to honor, could all work in her favor tomorrow.

I find it interesting that we have potential re-matchups between Helen Hunt/Judi Dench (this time in BSA) and Tommy Lee Jones/Leonardo DiCaprio in the spear race. Calls to mind their former showdowns in 1997 and 1993, respectively. Those were both hotly contested at the time and seem to be cited over the years as examples where the lesser performance prevailed.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

Les Miz? Maybe they were watching a different version than I was.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

r11, maybe people liked the film and you didn't. Maybe your opinion is your opinion and not a fact. Maybe you don't know everything. And maybe you have poor taste.

Les Mis got 4 nominations. Plus nominations for Best Picture and Best British film.

r1, Hooper was snubbed along with Spielberg, even though Lincoln is a strong front-runner for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

Affleck gave a good performance in ARGO but to nominate him over John Hawkes, Denzel Washington, and Jean Louis Trintignant is ludicrous.

Having said that Affleck gave a much better performance than Phoenix, whom everyone is raving about because his performance is wildly dramatic and actory.

Spielberg should have done himself some favors and not resorted to his trademark over the top moves in the last 20 minutes of the otherwise fine Lincoln. Having said that, his direction is far superior to Tom Hooper's uneven and sometimes inept mounting of Les Mis. Thank God BAFTA did not nominate Hooper.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

Ben Affleck - Best Actor nomination?

Denzel Washington was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

How the F**K is Affleck nominated and not Washington? Did anyone see Flight?

And I'm probably in the minority opinion, but Philip Seymour and Amy Adams were awful in the pretentious "Master" I feel the awards shows just go through the motions at this point, and probably don't even watch the performance individually, without taking into account past performances, reputations, "who's due for something?" etc. Its really too bad. This looks like a Golden Globes list - not even as credible.

At least Helen Hunt and Javier Bardem were not overlooked - in my opinion, easily, the Best supporting actors this year - and I've actually seen everything thus far, with the exception of Zero Dark Thirty (yet).

Ahem, ok I'm settled now - that I remember Hollywood is a business and like "high school" - the best doesn't always win

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

Where the hell is John Hawkes? You nominate Helen Hunt, but not Hawkes? I realize it's a crowded Best Actor field, but Affleck and Jackman ahead of Hawkes!

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

r4, it's also Christoph, and not Christophe.

He's not a Frenchman.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

[quote]Judy Dench

It's Judi, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

r18, meet r4

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

R19, I hadn't signed my full name above, so the first post doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

Interesting that Tommy Lee Jones was nominated for Supporting Actor for 'Lincoln'. Could that happen at the Oscars tomorrow too?

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

[quote]Otherwise everything looks as expected. Will probably be one of the more anticlimactic Oscar nominating slates.

Are you serious? Best actress only has 2 locks, Chastain and Lawrence, there are like 10 contenders for 5 spots in supporting actor, supporting actress only has 3 locks, Hunt Hathaway and Field. Will Kidman or Dowd make the cut? both of them? Dench, Smith or Adams? Same with best director; Is Hooper finally out for good? Haneke, Tarantino and Russell, all strong candidates for that last spot.

It's been the most interesting race in years

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

Of course it will happen, r21

And I think Bradley Cooper is also a sure thing for a best actor nod tomorrow. He made it to all the precursors, and before you say Tilda Swinton remember that "We need to talk about Kevin" was a very difficult film and Cooper is the star of a critically acclaimed rom-com.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

[quote]I think Bradley Cooper is also a sure thing for a best actor nod tomorrow.

How did we get to the point where Bradley Cooper is an Oscar contender?

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

What if Ben wins BOTH nominations and Matt gets so excited he runs up and tongue kisses him?

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

And how did we get to the point where someone like Jennifer Lawrence, who has virtually no acting ability, is now a regular Oscar contender?

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

Apparently R26 hasn't seen "Winter's Bone". I mean, that scene where she has to cut off her dead father's arm much? That cry was so real, it was almost painful to hear.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

I hate how people like R24 automatically use someone's filmography against them without seeing the film that person is being touted for. Cooper does a swell job in SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. If you think he can only do HANGOVER and rom-com tripe, then you're mistaken. Watch the film before you make stupid judgments.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

I could say the same thing about Hugh Jackman, r24

And Jennifer Lawrence has no acting ability? bitch, please.

Awards season is fun but stop acting like the Oscars are something other than a popularity contest with the ocasional deserving winner. Mary Pickford won the second lead actress in the history of this show back in 1930 and she was dreadful, they lost their credibility right there. Nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

[quote]I could say the same thing about Hugh Jackman

I agree with you on that one. I'm hoping he is not nominated. He shouldn't even be in Lés Misérables - he has no ability either.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

R26 = troll

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

R31 = Jennifer Lawrence fangirl

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

It's a popularity conntest usually attached to a worthy performance.

And very often, it's not a popularity contest at all. Kathy Bates, Marion Cotillard, Emma Thompson, Geoffrey Rush, Jean Dujardin, were hardly 'popular', or even well-known, before they won. They just delivered great work that couldn't be ignored.

In any case, Emmanuelle Riva needs to be nominated tomorrow, or I will cut a bitch.

If they got their act together, they'd also nominate J-L Trintignant.

Plus Ann Dowd! We need a battle of the Ann(e)s in the supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

I don't think Hunt is a lock for a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

She is, r34.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

Amy Adams is also a lock for a nomination at this point, and stands the best chance of winning it.

And I agree that Bradley Cooper is a shitty actor. Even Madonna has given a good performance or two, but I doubt anyone would call her a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

Adams lost out on SAG though, r36. That takes away her lock. I'm rooting for her, but I'd say she's got a chance of being left out.

Since the nominations are tomorrow, is anyone interested in making their final guesses?

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

Also, Supporting Actress is just a fucking mess this year. I've seen both Lincoln and Les Miserables, and personally, I thought neither of them were terribly impressive.

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

No Rachel Weisz for Deep Blue Sea?

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

Judi's nomination was for .... ?

Don't tell me SKYFALL. That's pure British jingoism.

That slot should have gone to Dame Maggie Smith for MARIGOLD HOTEL, if they wanted to nominate a British National Treasure.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

DiCaprio could not be bothered to make a choice whether his character loved his sister or dick.

The pacing of Lincoln was slower than the economic recovery.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

For Best Actress I'm going with:

Riva (please!), Lawrence, Chastain, Watts, and Weisz

....with hopefully Riva for the win but most likely Chastain. Wouldn't be unhappy if Watts got it either.

Hathaway, Field, Adams, Dench, and Dowd (please!)

...with Hathaway (I know ugh) for the win

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

If the impossible happens and Anne Hathaway does NOT get a nomination tomorrow, I predict that this site will be down for days due to excessive bandwith usage.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

I am, r37.

Supp. actress: Field, Hathaway, Hunt, Adams, Dowd.

Supp. actor: Tommy Lee Jones, PSH, Arkin, DeNiro, Waltz.

Actress: Riva, Lawrence, Chastain, Cotillard, Weisz.

Actor: DDL, Hawkes, Washington, Cooper, J-L Trintignant.

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

WHERE'S THE MERYL LOON!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2013

Maggie Smith is the most overrated actress out there. She plays the same character over and over and over again, and Marigold is no exception.

It is telling that even BAFTA shut her out this year.

If she gets nominated tomorrow, it'll be because Americans confuse her upper-class characters with good acting.

Judi Dench and Vanessa Redgrave, meanwhile, are truly vesatile actors, who take on different characters with each new film project.

And that is.. the truth.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

I am here, r46. Always will be.

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

Hugh Jackman will get a nomination tomorrow and Smith will likely as well. I think Best Marigold will do surprisingly well with nominations from the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

Hathaway - blech - she'll get the nomination but I hope she's snubbed on Oscar night.

As for Affleck, I felt pretty much like R6 until I saw "Hollywoodland" in which he was excellent. I haven't seen "Argo" yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave a respectable performance.

Helen Hunt? Oh for fuck's sake, have we not honored that vile cunt more than enough for her lifetime? (Yes, yes we have.)

Most important of all, let us remain united in denying Oscar employment and audience tickets to the odious Debbie Allen.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

Picture (if there's 10): Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Argo, Django Unchained, Moonrise Kingdom, Life of Pi, The Master, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Director: Spielberg, Bigelow, Affleck, Tarantino, Russell

Actor: Day-Lewis, Cooper, Hawkes, Jackman, Washington

Actress: Lawrence, Chastain, Watts, Cotillard, Weisz

Supporting Actor: Hoffman, Jones, Arkin, DeNiro, DiCaprio

Supporting Actress: Hathaway, Field, Hunt, Adams, Smith

Original Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Amour

Adapted Screenplay: Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, Argo, Life of Pi

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2013

Dear Meryl Loon,

Are you devastated with these noms?

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2013

[quote]I haven't seen "Argo" yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave a respectable performance.

OK performance. Kind of stiff and bland. By no means deserving of any kind of nomination.

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2013

I am R52. I have been eating my own shit all day!

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2013

No, I'm not, r52.

Also, keep in mind the noms haven't been announce yet.

So, your question is somewhat nonsensical... and makes you sound like a loon, not me.

by Anonymousreply 5501/09/2013

Oh Meryl Loon, you make me laugh. Never leave the DL. Thanks for all you do.

by Anonymousreply 5601/09/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 5701/09/2013

I bet most of the people here saying Dowd haven't even seen "Compliance". Dowd was good, but it is a lead role. If she gets a nomination tomorrow it will be category fraud like Steinfeld in "True Grit".

The only thing that was award worthy about the pretentious "Deep Blue Sea" was Simon Russell Beale. Weisz won the NYFCC only because the critics couldn't decide between Lawrence, Chastain and Riva.

by Anonymousreply 5801/09/2013

Don't fret, r56, I won't.

And you're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 5901/09/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 6001/09/2013

Sorry but to include Ben Affleck & Bradley Cooper in the Best Actor category instead of John Hawkes or Denzel Washington is just absurd. And omitting Speilberg is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6101/09/2013

Cooper was great in SLP. It maybe be his first good performance ever, but it was good. Affleck was just mediocre as usual.

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2013

Love is the Meryl Loon.

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2013

[quote]And I agree that Bradley Cooper is a shitty actor. Even Madonna has given a good performance or two, but I doubt anyone would call her a great actress.

If Cooper is nominated or even wins for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, it won't be a statement saying that he's the greatest actor of all time. Oscars are (supposed to be) about the best performance of the year. So if he were to win, it would be just the Academy's opinion that his performance in SLP was better than the rest in the category.

by Anonymousreply 6401/09/2013

Like anyone has a shot in hell against Daniel Day Lewis. His is the only name that's consistently mentioned as a winner in his category.

by Anonymousreply 6501/10/2013

Does Dench stand a good chance of winning the BAFTA for "Skyfall"?

by Anonymousreply 6601/10/2013

Why am I not nominated, like, ever?

by Anonymousreply 6701/10/2013

Kristen, you actually have a BAFTA. Of course it was one of those plastic, fan voted awards, so it doesn't really [italic]count[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 6801/10/2013

Hello??? Aren't the Oscar nominations Tuesday, Jan 15th?

by Anonymousreply 6901/10/2013

No, dear, they are this morning, January 10th.

by Anonymousreply 7001/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!