Robert Taylor

Louis Calhern

Claude Rains

by Anonymousreply 11601/27/2013

Diana Ross

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

Ramon Novarro -- best known for Ben Hur, among other roles

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

Claude fucking Rains? Are you kidding? Casablanca? Now,Vovager?

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

R3, Claude Rains may be known to film watchers like ourselves of old movies, but he is a name lost to the general public and everyday discourse.

Perhaps I should specify in more detail what I meant by my thread title - I am referring to actors who did not make a sufficient enough impact to be remembered today in the way in which Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable or Laurence Olivier did. Actors who did not become a part of popular culture like Marlon Brando or who did not have a legendary role that is still remembered today.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

Those same people think Transformers is a good movie. Their opinions don't matter...

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

Charles Boyer Tyrone Power and believe it or not some in the 15-24 demographic don't know who Paul Newman is

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

John Payne, Dennis Morgan. Neither were Gable status even during their careers, but were solid, dependable leading men. And Dennis was cute. Cornell Wilde, too. He was quite a hunk of beef.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

George Brent Chill Wills Edward Everett Horton Robert Montgomery

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

[quote]John Payne

I agree with you that the name is largely forgotten, although people might recognize him somewhat from "Miracle on 34th Street" since it is on every Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

Joey Heatherton

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

Hurd Hatfield

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

Terrific Oscar winning actor, Fredric March. Not nearly as remembered as his peers, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

Norma Shearer and Greta Garbo.

Are there any young movie goers today who can say they know the legend of Garbo?

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

Mae Murray

Norma Talmadge

Mary Miles Minter

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

You can't really include silent film actors because most of their films were melted down for the silver. You can't replay films that no longer exists.

A lot of silent film actors never made it to talkies because their voice did not match what the audience "heard." John Gilbert and Clara Bow are two fine examples. Only classic movie fans and film historians know their names.

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

R4 if that is your criteria then those names don't qualify either. Unless their names are Marilyn and maybe James Dean, almost all are lost now.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

Roger Livesey Kenneth More Robert Donat

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

R15 Poor choices for examples. Studio politics forced those 2 particular actors out of the sound era, not their voices. Only classic movie fans and film historians know their names and the reasons for the demise of their careers.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

r18 that's a subjective statement. Many of them just didn't translate very well to talkies. Sound was new and the studios didn't know how to transition them. Garbo was one of the lucky few who easily transitioned into sound.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

OP that makes for a very long and kind of pointless list.

If you don't know Claude Rains then you don't know Humphrey Bogart of Rita Hayworth or Laurence Olivier or Ingrid Bergman or Bette Grable or Lesley Howard or Edward G. Robinson except by name.

Never mind the truly lesser knowns. Either you watch old films or you don't. My pretty old mother won't watch black and white movies, simple as that.

I realize that John Wayne and Bette Davis and Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart are known in some way by most everyone, but like I said the rest of the list is too long and arbitrary.

Do you really mean popular culture or just DL culture ? They are not the same thing.

But I will still play.

Karen Black

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

R19 It's been well documented that LB Mayer sabotaged Gilbert's talkie career after an altercation.

Bow's career problems (from Wiki):

"The quality of Bow's voice, her Brooklyn accent, was not an issue to Bow, her fans or Paramount."

"But the pressures of fame, public scandals, overwork and a damaging court trial with her secretary, Daisy DeVoe, took their toll on Bow's fragile emotional health. As she slipped closer to a major breakdown, her manager B.P. Schulberg began referring to her as "Crisis-a-day-Clara".[110] In April Bow was brought to a sanatorium, and at her request, Paramount released her from her final undertaking: City Streets."

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

r19, Gilbert and Bow are not the only 2 silent film stars that did not transition into well into talkies. I gave those 2 as examples and you're making hay over it. Yes. Gilbert had many, many issues. Low self-esteem, alcoholism. LBJ did not like Gilbert. However, Gilbert's nasal voice portraying Romeo had the audience laughing. A romantic lead whose crucial scene was a mockery. His daughter Leatrice Fountain documented it all in her book.

When I saw Queen Christina, I thought Gilbert looked ridiculous. So out of place in that beautiful film. It wasn't the hair or the costume. It was the way he delivered his lines.

So many silent film stars just "disappeared" when sound came. Lon Chaney. Mae Murray. Lillian Gish didn't have much of a career after sound came. Not all of it was studio sabotage.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

Kay Francis

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

Sally Fields

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

Robert Taylor was his gorgeous,distinctive arched eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

R19 You be the judge.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

Audie Murphy

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

farley granger was perfection hitchcocks strangers on a train or rope.....such a gorgeous guy !

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

Van Heflin, Farley Granger, John Garfield,Clifton Webb,Cornell Wilde,Stewart Granger,Glenn Ford,Dana Andrews,Alan Ladd and Charles Boyer for the boys.

Jeanne Crain,Gene Tierney,Yvonne DeCarlo,Larainne Day,Loretta Young,Greer Garson,Ann Sheridan,Myrna Loy,Joan Fontiane,Olivia De Havilland,Betty Hutton and Merle Oberon are some of the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

Dumb thread idea for the oldsters to pull out their film esoterica.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

Then maybe r30 you could think of some more recent examples to wrest the thread from the desiccated claws of the eldergays.

Or you could bitch about it.

Warren Oates

Gene Hackman

Michelle Pfeiffer sp?

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

Michael Sarrazin

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

You poor dear you don't know how to NOT click on threads that don't interest you....

Did anyone say Sterling Hayden? He reminded me of Ken Ryker...

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

Michael Sarrazin

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

My point was that they are mostly all forgotten to most and who thinks that anyone could name a film of Laurence Olivier, but not Claude Rains ?

Dumb construct.

I said Karen Black.

I ain't gonna type this crap for days...have fun.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

George Segal

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

Biggest names in Hollywood at the beginning of the sound era, all but forgotten a decade later:

Ann Harding

William Haines

Kay Francis

Robert Montgomery

Ruth Chatterton

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

Sharon Peters

Ben Dover

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

Lee Remick. Best scorned woman/drunken housewife ever.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

Helen Twelvetrees.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

[quote]Did anyone say Sterling Hayden? He reminded me of Ken Ryker...

God, Hayden as a young actor was fucking hot.

How about these two:

Vilma Banky (who lived to the ripe ol' age of 90!)

Beulah Bondi

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

Charles Boyer. Irene Dunn.

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

She's so forgotten, that R42 couldn't remember the correct spelling of Irene Dunne's surname.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

Raven Symone Hillary Duff

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

My group watches the BluRay remaster of "Lawrence of Arabia" this past weekend, I had forgotten what wonderfully under acted intelligence came with the on screen presence of Claude Rains . . .

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

I'm in my late 40s and teach at a small university. It doesn't surprise me anymore that 18-24 year olds do not know who film actors or actresses from the 30s, 40, or 50s are. My generation grew up watching movies from those decades on television which was limited to non-cable for most. Marx Brothers' films and silents featuring Buster Keaton were a regular staple of Spirit Days or whatnot in high school. This is no longer the case. Technology changed it. The Internet is a great tool to allow famous and not so famous actors and actresses to be remembered. But the volume of the content and the plethora of choices on the net and on cable TV guarantees too that they may be lost in the shuffle.

18-24 year olds also do not watch TV, as my generation did. I remember watching Superman, Batman, Lost in Space, Star Trek, the 4:30 Movie, Dinah Shore, Mike Douglas, Godzilla movies, and cartoons in the afternoon after school and sports, or on Saturday mornings and afternoons. The 18-24 yr olds did not grow up watching TV like this.

More and more, too, have never seen "I Love Lucy," except for an episode or two on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2013

Thank God people have forgotten Robert Taylor. He was a bad actor, a closet case, a momma's boy, and named names to the House committee looking into Commies in Hollywood. He ruin Howard De Silva's career. He was a true asshole. Spent his honeymoon night with his mother and not his bride. Some people deserve to be forgotten. May Mark Walhberg suffer the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

[quote]Hurd Hatfield

Played the title role in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in 1945 opposite the Oscar-nominated Angela Lansbury. Only Angela is remembered from that film today, though. Even George Sanders is unknown to today's generation, despite being a big star at the time.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

Keanu Reeves

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

Louis Calhern was in some of my all time favorite movies, The Asphalt Jungle, High Society and Notorious. I remember him well.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

Jack Carson

Melvyn Douglas

Deanna Durbin

Nelson Eddy

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2013

Baby Jane Hudson

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2013

Jo Stafford

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2013

Jo Stafford was a singer.

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2013

Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 5501/10/2013

David Huffman, very cute character actor who was everywhere in the 70s and early 80s. Baby-faced, all-American, Ryan O'Neal type; I had a huge crush on him.

The poor guy was murdered after chasing a teenaged purse-snatcher into a woodsy area of Balboa Park; he was stabbed twice in the chest with a screwdriver. I remember the news reports actually showed very disturbing footage of his dead body--during the afternoon broadcast. Very sad. David's widow, Phyllis Huffman, was a respected casting director; she died in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 5601/10/2013

G, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 5701/10/2013

Ronald Colman Robert Donat

by Anonymousreply 5801/10/2013

Steven Keats, who held his own opposite Robert Mitchum in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" and was Carol Kane's leading man in "Hester Street". He died of an apparent suicide in 1994. Worked steadily until his death, but his later roles never lived up to his early promise.

by Anonymousreply 5901/10/2013

Rory Calhoun

Brian Aherne

John Hodiak

June Haver

Eleanor Powell

Miriam Hopkins

Inger Stevens

Don Murray

Ali McGraw

Michael Sarrazin

Steve Railsback

Carrie Snodgress

Christopher Jones

Andrew Stevens

by Anonymousreply 6001/10/2013

David Huffman

I knew him best as Eleanor's father in Franklin and Eleanor, but r56 is correct in that he was all over the screen in solid supporting roles through the 70s and 80s.

I think he saw the kid breaking into the RV of some European tourists, gave chase into the trees, where the illegal alien kid stabbed him.

In those days, illegal aliens were called illegal aliens, especially when they added to their initial crime of intruding over our borders by killing one of our most respected character actors and a patron of the Globe Theatre in the park.

by Anonymousreply 6101/10/2013

I was going to say Michael Sarrazin and Keir Dullea, both of which have already been listed.

What about Chris Sarandon?

Hugh O'Brian?

by Anonymousreply 6201/10/2013

John Cazale would easily fall into the "forgotten" category if not for the fact that all five of his feature films were instant, Oscar-nominated/winning classics.

By the way, Cazale lived with Meryl Streep for several years prior to his death from cancer in 1978. She credits him with teaching her everything she knows about acting.

by Anonymousreply 6301/10/2013

Jessica Harper.

She worked constantly in the late '70s and early '80s and had a string of critical successes including "Stardust Memories," "My Favorite Year," "Inserts" and "Pennies From Heaven."

Plus she was in two big cult movies -- "Phantom of the Paradise" and "Shock Treatment" (where she played the second Janet Majors).

Then she was gone. Now she has a homemaking website called "The Crabby Cook."

by Anonymousreply 6401/10/2013

I would beg to differ about Lon Chaney being a casualty of talkies. He knew he was ill by the time he remade his silent THE UNHOLY THREE for sound. Before his illness he was poised to enter a new phase of his career.

by Anonymousreply 6501/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 6601/10/2013

[quote]God, Hayden as a young actor was fucking hot.

According to some websites, Hayden Christensen is named after Sterling Hayden because Hayden's mother had a crush on him from watching his films.

by Anonymousreply 6701/10/2013

[quote]Plus she was in two big cult movies -- "Phantom of the Paradise" and "Shock Treatment" (where she played the second Janet Majors).

[italic]Three[/italic] big cult movies: you've forgotten the one of hers with the biggest cult following of all, "Suspiria."

by Anonymousreply 6801/10/2013

Yep, the only movie I've ever seen Jessica Harper in is Suspiria.

by Anonymousreply 6901/10/2013

Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont, best known for their roles in the Dueling Cavalier.

by Anonymousreply 7001/10/2013

Greta Garbo is NOT a "forgotten actor." She's GARBO, for God's sake.

I was watching one of Loretta Young's films on TCM (they're doing a tribute to her) and saw a familiar character actor named Wallace Ford. He was good-looking in a very ordinary guy way and he was in a ton of movies; over 200 in a span from 1932 to 1935. He's probably best remembered for the cult film "Freaks." He aged quickly and got heavy and grey-haired, but still got roles. His last major role was Old Pa in "A Patch of Blue". He was quite good in it. It was his last film before his death in 1966. He's buried in an unmarked grave. Sad. He really was a talented actor who did a lot of interesting work.

by Anonymousreply 7101/10/2013

Once.... you won't remember...

When you said Hollywood, she was the face you'd think of!

Her face, on every billboard...

In just a single week, she'd get 10,000 letters!

by Anonymousreply 7201/10/2013

Nobody is forgotten, how could you mention them, if they were really forgotten?

by Anonymousreply 7301/10/2013

Steve Bond.

by Anonymousreply 7401/10/2013

Neely O'Hara.

Of course, I use the word 'actor' very loosely. Yet, she did make a string of shitty movies, so I suppose that counts.

by Anonymousreply 7501/10/2013

Apparently I was fucking forgotten today.

by Anonymousreply 7601/10/2013

R6: '...believe it or not some in the 15-24 demographic don't know who Paul Newman is'

I have found it to be true as well.

It's interesting that everyone else just skipped over the post to write about many actors and actresses more obscure than Paul Newman.

In fact, the thread turned into a TCM thread, was that the OP's intent?

by Anonymousreply 7701/10/2013

Al Parker

by Anonymousreply 7801/10/2013

People who know about movies are very familiar with a lot of these "forgotten" actors. If you're interested in movies you know who Clara Bow, Norma Shearer, John Gilbert, Ramon Navarro, Eleanor Powell, Robert Tayler, Charles Boyer, Melvyn Douglas, Deanna Durbin (and many others) are. If you don't know about the big stars from bygone eras their names mean nothing.

Michael Sarrazin was in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", which is pretty memorable movie.

Keir Dullea was in "2001: A Space Odyssey", an unforgettable, classic film. I think he's remembered just for that.

Inger Stevens was in "The Hitchhiker" a classic Twilight Zone episode. It's a fan favorite. She'll always be remembered as the overwrought woman being followed by the gentle-faced hitchhiker through the Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 7901/10/2013

[quote]She'll always be remembered as the overwrought woman being followed by the gentle-faced hitchhiker through the Twilight Zone.

I think she'll be remembered for "The Farmer's Daughter" and for having an affair with Bing Crosby and then committing suicide.

by Anonymousreply 8001/10/2013

Jensen Ackles

by Anonymousreply 8101/10/2013

Teresa Wright, first person nominated for Oscar in two categories the same year. I think.

by Anonymousreply 8201/10/2013

Gilda Radner, of course.

by Anonymousreply 8301/10/2013

Casey Donovan

by Anonymousreply 8401/10/2013

Grant Williams

Mara Corday

Barbara Rhoades

Candice Azzara

Barbara McNair

by Anonymousreply 8501/10/2013

Gene Hackman, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 8601/10/2013

Rula Lenska

by Anonymousreply 8701/10/2013

Kristy McNichols

Erin Murphy

Gil Girard

Nancy Dusseau

by Anonymousreply 8801/10/2013

Lily Pons.

by Anonymousreply 8901/10/2013

Valerie Perrine.

by Anonymousreply 9001/10/2013

Anne Revere

Gale Sondergaard

Walter Brennen

Jane Wyman

Claire Trevor

Patsy Kelly

Nina Foch

Dorothy McGuire

Joan Blondell

Anne Sothern

Elsa Lancaster

Glora Grahame

Barry Sullivan

Eve Arden

Joan Davis

Ann Blyth

Jennifer Jones

Robert Walker

by Anonymousreply 9101/10/2013

Victor McLaglan

Barry Fitzgerald

by Anonymousreply 9201/10/2013

Deborah Kerr

Mary Astor

Betty Field

Susan Strasburg

by Anonymousreply 9301/10/2013

Lenny Baker, star of "Next Stop, Greenwich Village"; Tony Award winner (Best Featured Actor in a Musical) for "I Love My Wife"

Maria Falconetti, star of 1928's "The Passion of Joan of Arc". Her performance is considered by critics and historians to be the greatest ever captured on film, and it was completely silent. She didn't win any awards for this, because there were no film awards then. "Passion..." was her last film role.

by Anonymousreply 9401/10/2013

Joan Crawford. Who watches her anymore?

Bette who?

I am 19. 28 inch waist, 9 inches, thick, and I shave. My favorite movies at "The Lord of the Rings" triology and "The Dark Knight." Anyone want to meet me?

by Anonymousreply 9501/10/2013

Candy Samples

by Anonymousreply 9601/10/2013

[quote]Elsa Lancaster

She's so forgotten that people can't even get her name right. LANCHESTER, people.

by Anonymousreply 9701/11/2013

The great Roland Young

by Anonymousreply 9801/11/2013

Robert Ryan

Ralph Bellemy

Melvin Douglas

Richard Conti

by Anonymousreply 9901/11/2013

R95 call me when your bush grows out and your hole is good and hairy

by Anonymousreply 10001/11/2013

I know every name listed. I even know R95. Cums too fast. Kid needs to beat off at home before.

by Anonymousreply 10101/11/2013

The late, great Sudie Bond

by Anonymousreply 10201/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 10301/11/2013

Susie Bond was a stage actress. Mostly off Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 10401/11/2013

Wendell Willkie

by Anonymousreply 10501/11/2013

Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 10601/11/2013

i miss moira kelly

by Anonymousreply 10701/11/2013

Rebel Wilson

by Anonymousreply 10801/11/2013

Anne Baxter

Gene Tierney

Wendy Hiller

Greer Garson

Molly Picon

by Anonymousreply 10901/11/2013

Pablo Schreiber

Mary Boland

Bill Cullen

by Anonymousreply 11001/11/2013

Estes Kefauver

by Anonymousreply 11101/12/2013

Dolph Lungren after it turns out that he really WAS straight.

by Anonymousreply 11201/13/2013

[80] Bing Crosby seemed to have that effect on people.

by Anonymousreply 11301/13/2013

Robert Williams, starred opposite Jean Harlow in Platinum Blonde, wonderful actor who died at 37, older than Harlow was when she died, but had fewer films to his credit, and is thus more completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 11401/13/2013

I wonder if anybody remembers Pete Duel and Ben Murphy? Their high point was the series "Alias Smith and Jones" where they played Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid-like characters who were trying to reform. The show make them into teen idols; they were both gorgeous and had a lot of chemistry onscreen. Duel was extremely talented but oh so fucked up; a manic depressive and an alcoholic. In a drunken stupor he killed himself with a bullet to the head. He was replaced on the show with Roger Davis but it didn't work and the show was soon cancelled. Murphy's career went nowhere after that. I haven't seen any photos of him lately, but he aged into quite a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 11501/27/2013

R114 I adore Robert Williams. I got to see "Platinum Blonde" years ago at the Film Forum and he really is terrific on a big screen (he doesn't have the same presence on a tv screen). A real loss that he died so young.

by Anonymousreply 11601/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!