Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brad Pitt In Talks for 'Pontius Pilate' Title Role

I wash my hands of this:

Brad Pitt is circling to star in the upcoming drama Pontius Pilate, but has not committed.

The 49-year-old actor would play the role of Lucius Pontius Pilate, one of the most well known villains in history.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Brad Pitt

The film would center on “the story of Lucius Pontius Pilate from his early days in Rome to the time he assists in the crucifying of Jesus.”

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Brad Pitt possibly starring in as a villain in Pontius Pilate?

by Anonymousreply 5001/10/2013

Type casting if you ask me

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

He is so inadequate for that. i see him more as jesus of nazareth's real father Joseph, the carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

OMG. That'll be hilarious. He can't do historic characters.

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

Will the proposed flick have Brad speak in "Modern English" or a phony dated style? Too funny. Who's writing the script? How soon before the religious protests start?

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

He's perfect - long stringy greasy hair! He certainly stepped outside his comfort zone for that!

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

Ooh what has Angie done to poor Brad. He looks like he belongs on skid row.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

Why don't him and Angie just stop making movies for awhile and watch all those damn kids? So tired of Brad and Angie's non-stop movies.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

Should be Fassbender.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Sounds like Warner Brothers is trying to drum up interest and maybe get financing for a film. Despite WB's attempts Brad has avoided WB since they fucked over The Assassination of Jesse James. Probably just BS.

Can't do historical drama? I remember plenty of people - here as well - squealing with delight at him in Troy. His bare butt from that is still making appearances.

Is there any real drama in Pontius Pilate? I barely know the man.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

File under Costume Drama Oscar Bait Snoozers.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

spoiler alert: brad pitt will gain 70 pounds and finally win an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

"Can't do historical drama? I remember plenty of people - here as well - squealing with delight at him in Troy. His bare butt from that is still making appearances"

He LOOKED hot in Troy...but his acting was terrible

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

Pontius Pilate is misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

Would someone please tell him he looks ridiculous with that long hair and beard? It just makes him look dirty and old.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

If you are the Christ, yes, the great Jesus Christ Prove to me that you're no fool Walk across my swimming pool.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

Apparently, "you're way too old for this part" are words that are never spoken in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

Do you think I should invite Brad and Angie to my wedding?

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

Gary Oldman played Pontius Pilate in the 1999 version of "Jesus" opposite Jeremy Sisto.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2013

R9, if only!

And R10, looking good in Troy does NOT equal the ability to be believable in a historical drama. Nobody was praising his *acting* with that squealing.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

Not religious at all, but can Pilate really be considered a villain if Jesus' persecution and execution is something that HAD to happen?

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

I think some believers still vilify Pilate because they see the human traits of jellied spine and deceit in a petty functionary. It's a timeless, visceral identification, rather than a symbolic persona, like Judas.

The "it had to happen" argument happens more with Judas than Pilate.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

According to Mel Gibson, Pilate was a patsy. It was the Jews who killed Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

I'd only be interested if it didn't involve the Jesus myth. Roman/Middle Eastern history = interesting, Christian fables = yawn.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

Pilate wasn't a villain.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

Yes he was. He slaughtered 10's of thousands of people which is the reason he was called back to Rome.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

I am sure Pontius Pilate did not know he was condemning the Son of God when he sentenced Jesus to death. As far as he and the other Roman occupiers were concerned, the Jews were a bunch of barbarians with silly customs and rituals who kept fighting among themselves and who were making it hard for Rome to do its job.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

Might be a good movie starring someone else.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

Why do I imagine him using the same accent he used in Inglorious Basterds? Gorlami. Gorlami.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

The thing with BP is that he thinks he's some huge talent and star. He will be way out of his abilities on this one as he is on most.

Sorry Bradly, you just can't act.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

R17, EPIC FAIL. That's Herod's song. In fact, the title is "King Herod's Song."

Pilate sang "Pilate's Dream."

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

Will he insist on wearing Reeboks in this period piece, too?

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

They should get Jim Caviezel to play the role/ That way he can say he play Jesus AND Pilate!

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

In the New Testament, the only reference to Pilate's wife exists in a single sentence by Matthew. According to Matthew 27:19, she sent a message to her husband asking him not to condemn Jesus Christ to death: While Pilate was sitting in the judgment hall, his wife sent him a message: "Have nothing to do with that innocent man, because in a dream last night, I suffered much on account of him."[1]

Pilate tried to get the crowds to release Jesus but they chose Barrabas instead. He then washed his hands of the matter. So, I don't think you could call him a villain as it related to Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

[quote]Apparently, "you're way too old for this part" are words that are never spoken in Hollywood.

Nope. Actresses over 25 hear it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

When will Brad Pitt realize he doesn't have any gravitas?

He's excellent in certain roles-the affable, good looking guy who is something of a fuck up.

But when he tries to do those moody roles-bless his heart.

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

R9 is right - Michael Fassbender would be great for this role. Brad Pitt is a lightweight compared to him.

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

Pontius Pilate should be played by Elias Koteas, in a tight loincloth that emphasises his impressive bulge.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

I would love to see a film about the creator of my favorite exercise rutine

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

Pointus Pilate : Kick Ass Jesus Killer

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

Pontius Pilate and his Nail Driving Five

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

Too bad Pete postelwaite died he could have played it.sybe James Purefoy?

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

Why the hell is someone hiring that dopey no-talent for a historical film? He's a weak enough actor in roles that he can relate to, but absolutely hopeless in anything out of his modern-day comfort zone. Even WWII threw him for a loop, in "Inglorious Basterds".

It's like someone wants to lose money. If someone wanted to try the scam from "The Producers", they could hardly do better than hiring Brad Pitt to play Pontius Pilate.

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

How many people even lived to be the age Pitt currently is back then? Wouldn't it have been like living to 90 is now?

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

I agree that Pilate is hardly a villain in the Bible. He tried to save Jesus. He is a tragic figure whose hands were tied. Jesus actually brought up the "This has to happen" argument to him in person.

The real guy was likely a villain, don't know anything about his reign.

The casting doesn't seem too bad. You'd expect him to be a little weak willed and Brad is definitely the best leading man for that.

by Anonymousreply 4601/10/2013

This sounds unsettingly like the Jesus musical that was the plot of "Hamlet 2*.

by Anonymousreply 4701/10/2013

Hamlet 2! I have it on DVD. If the movie ends up being anything like Hamlet 2 it might be pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 4801/10/2013

It'll only work if Pontius Pilate was a pothead.

by Anonymousreply 4901/10/2013

He must be doing this to piss off his fundie parents.

by Anonymousreply 5001/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!