Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How the rest of the world handles grief

It seems the foreign countries either: 1) get riotously angry with bloodshed (Middle East, South America) or 2) forge stoicly ahead in a workman-like manner (Denmark, Sweden).

In the U.S. it is this cloyingly self-pitying hugfest, with the Jesus and the teddy bears and the flags. And the endless ceremonies and "honoring our heroes".

And after the boxes and boxes of tissues, then comes the lawsuits- cause someone has to pay *snif*.

I think I must be Norwegian or something...

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

How very broad-minded of you!

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

Actually I think all the hysteria that American society seems to be showing these days is relatively new. I shouldn't wonder that all the carrying on that OP refers to in American society today would be regarded as maudlin and obnoxious 50 years ago. I think there is alot to be said for reserve, self control and keeping private matters and concerns private.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

It's worked wonders for me.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

OP, I think the little TV box in the corner has a lot to answer for.

Whatever it shows never represents a full and true picture, basically just what it wants you to see.

Flowers and candles sell 'grief' to the public. The masses of people going ahead and minding their own business stoically does not.

That also should be represented, but isn't.

I speak as a Brit and it's the same here, we have to include Facebook and Twitter tributes to victims on national TV and newspapers now, with embarrassing, badly-spelt tweets being read out or shown, as if it represents everyone across the nation.

Very misleading. In as much that the many non-rioting muslims will never be shown in the middle east.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

OP = Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

Our way of grieving is not inferior to anyone else's, self-hating asshole. Even in grief, the "America is the worst EVAH" crew has to make waves. Just shut up or move, if you're American or just fuck off if you're not.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

[quote]get riotously angry with bloodshed (Middle East

The most racist thing on datalounge yet.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

[quote]Just shut up or move, if you're American

He should emigrate just because he doesn't like the way Americans grieve?

I wonder why you're so defensive? Maybe you're a just as obnoxious 'America's the greatest fuckin' country in the whole damn world' kinda guy.

Cool it, baby.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

the french sing their grief

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

Oh my, OP. You just have it so together and shit. Really, you're SO much more evolved than the rest of us. How'd you ever get to be so cool and, you know, 'real'?

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

R6 and R10 invested in Precious Moments.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.