Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shaking hands

I don't like it. It's not the first thing I think about when meeting someone. I'm usually taken aback.

And a "firm handshake"? It's just a firm handshake- not a window to your soul.

by Anonymousreply 5201/16/2013

You're weird.

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

"Taken aback" by shaking hands? What universe do you live in, OP?

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

I bet Op would rather sniff the person's butt

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

I totally agree, OP, but then again I have Asperger's. I have a weak handshake, don't like the physical contact and don't make eye contact when I shake hands.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

I agree with you, OP. Barbaric, unsanitary practice. The single worst part of being male.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

I should have known my landlord was evil when I shoot hands with him. He had catcher's mitt hands.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

I'm a frail and delicate orchid!

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

If you don't like "shaking hands," I'd advise you to avoid. Hanging aroundMichael J. Fox.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

It's a sign of a person's character. Aside from someone with Aspergers or a "reason" for it, a weak handshake indicates a tepid, milquetoast personality. Not a leader. Not a strong personality. Not always true and not always accurate but accurate enough. If one has never been TAUGHT to have a firm grip handshake, woe be to him. I cannot stand a limp wrist/dead fish handshake. Eeauuwww. It does not have to be one of those "pump your arm until it rips out of the socket" types of athletic handshakes, just a firm grip and focused eye contact. For both men and women. It someone does not look me in the eyes when I am introduced and smile at me, I am instantly put off and registering a negative mental impression. It might be a wrong one, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Howie Mandel posts here?

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

How very John Wayne of you, R9. I actually immediately dislike people with firm handshakes. They strike me as ass-kissers.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

r11, what kind of handshake DO you like, Goldilocks?

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

Funny, week hand shakes strike me as ass kissers.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

None at all, R12. And don't get me started on the overhugging menace that's creeping through society. I was watching a football game the other day and the opposing players hugged each other right before the coin toss. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

What about the handshake where you touch the person's arm with the other hand while you are shaking. Do you think that is nice, or pushy and creepy?

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

I hate when I shake someone's hand and I feel like I'm shaking a dead body. It seems so one sided to shake a dead fish hand. FFS, if you're shaking someone's hand, at least act alive!

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

When I shake hands I use my left hand to go in and grab the person between the elbow and tricep and squeeze while I'm shaking their hand.. It's a lot more intimate without being overfriendly. A nice variation.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

I like to wiggle my ring finger against the other person's palm.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

[quote]If one has never been TAUGHT to have a firm grip handshake, woe be to him.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

Back in the day they bowed, not unlike the Japanese today. Thomas Jefferson was the first president to introduce handshaking, Washington and Adams who preceded him used bowing. I guess the abbreviated version of bowing today would be a head nod. I can take or leave hand shakes and if someone has a firm shake that's ok; if someone has a kind of soft/limp one it's not the end of the world for me as it seems to be for some (I think those types must be from Texas or something), but I prefer something firmer as far as handshakes go--the limp ones are sort of amusing and leave me wondering where they learned to shake hands. Now men's asses are a different story as far as firmness or softness is concerned.....

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

I always find it funny when someone i'm shaking hands with tries to have a firmer handshake then me or they literally try to crush my hand. I WILL win that fight.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

"And a "firm handshake"? It's just a firm handshake- not a window to your soul."

Perhaps it's not a window into the soul, but other people seem to place importance on it, so if you don't want to look like a child you better grow a pair.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

I like you r21

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

A weak handshake is a career killer.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

Op is incessantly aghast.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

I'd prefer not to shake hands. I'm not a germaphobe, but I always think about what the other person may have on their hands.

I prefer a just a slight wave and a nod of the head. I really don't want to shake your hand. No offense, I'd just rather not.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

I worked as a legislative aide so I had to meet all kinds of people: lobbyists, constituents, etc.

Some of them apparently thought the firmer their grip, the more sincere they would be in their presentation, so I got my hand crushed many times.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

A flaccid,apathetic handshake and a vigorous,clamped handshake are more telling of a personality than the Myers Brigg could EVER hope to be.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

I hate shaking hands with clammy/sweaty people, and smokers. Awful feeling.

People who overdo it with a firm handshake are the types who believe all the crap they heard at their last motivational seminar.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

So, R5 -- women don't shake hands?

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

It's his father R31. *slap* It's his lover. *slap* It's his father and lover!

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

[quote] And a "firm handshake"? It's just a firm handshake- not a window to your soul.

Like the Chris Rock joke about the mother bragging, "I take care of my kids! I've never been to jail!", a firm handshake is significant only by its absence.

Being handed a clammy, cold fish of limp hand with a begrudging look (which never meets your eyes directly) turns a simple greeting that shouldn't bear a lot of thought and certainly no malingering regret or dread into an icky, unpleasant experience with a fucking creep.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

Donald Trump doesn't shake hands.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

And this is why we don't respond to trolls, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

How about upon meeting a cute guy we can all, in addition to shaking his hand, give his ass a smack and a squeeze?!

Actually, re the politicians--I have read that Bill Clinton has shaken so many hands in his life that his right hand has arthritis probably at least partly because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if other politicians have it too. Question--I wonder how many contestants hands Alex Trebek has shaken in all his time as host of Jeopardy?

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

Secret: homophobes will often not extend their hands to a gay.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

r32, in my experience, a much smaller percentage of women shake hands than men do. Others might not find that to be true. I live in the South, by the way; there might be regional differences.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

Shaking hands spreads the flu. Don't do it. People are dropping like flies this week.

A simple nod, smile (without showing your teeth) and "How do you do?" is sufficient--not just during the flu season, but always.

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

I'ts much better to do the Vulcan salute.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 4501/10/2013

"Anybody can say, 'hi, I'm Howard."

"Well, anyone named Howard."

"You are going to take his hand and in a firm MASCULINE handshake say, 'It's an honor to meet you.'"

by Anonymousreply 4601/10/2013

OP expects a quick curtsy and twirl. After all, it's what she does.

by Anonymousreply 4701/10/2013

Extend your wrist toward their chin with your palm down and say "Enchanté."

by Anonymousreply 4801/10/2013

A man should not extend his hand to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 4901/16/2013

My mom refuses to go to church during flu season because of that damned "sign of peace" handshake you have to do.

by Anonymousreply 5001/16/2013

Try a fist bump.

by Anonymousreply 5101/16/2013

I hate when someone is so quick to show off their firm handshake that they don't wait for your hands to be fully in place before gripping, and they end up just mashing your fingers together.

by Anonymousreply 5201/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!