Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Gloria Vanderbilt broke?

After getting ripped off to the tune of millions by her former lawyer and psychiatrist, she lives in an apartment now and sells her scary paintings.

What happened to all the family money?

by Anonymousreply 4909/06/2014

OP, I think they let rich people live in apartments in NYC. I would think that she is too smart to let a lawyer or a psychiatrist steal millions from her, but even if that is true it would just be a drop in the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

She's lived in an apartment forever OP but it's probably about 10,000 sf. This is not news.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

Correction -- Most of her money was made by GV in her lifetime, apart from her relatively modest inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

If mummy is broke, Andy will take care of her. Actually there is a good book on the Vanderbilts called "Fortune's Children" by Arthur T. Vanderbilt. I believe the author is descended from one of Cornelius's relatives (a sibling maybe), therefore a very distant cousin to Gloria. He does cover the uproar that occurred in the 1930s during the custody battles between Gloria's Aunt Gertrude and her mother, Gloria. Gertrude was something of an artist and it would seem that Gloria must have gotten her inspiration in art and design from her. Looking at some of her work though, one might find it rather "busy" although not unpleasant. Does anyone think there were some interesting parallels between Gloria Vanderbilt's life and Judy Garland's? Judy Garland I think was 2 years older, both married musicians, both tried acting, both had dominating female parents/guardians. I think Gloria Vanderbilt had the good sense to stay away from drugs and alcohol, unlike her father Reginald Claypoole Vanderbilt who died of cirrhosis. Anderson Cooper has said that to be a Vanderbilt means carrying alot of baggage along with the name. Most of the Vanderbilt descendants today are not worth millions and as r3 pointed out, Gloria's money was largely made by herself in her own right but did start out with what then was a hefty trust fund passed down to her. I think a few informative programs hosted by Anderson Cooper on the Vanderbilts perhaps showing Biltmore, Hyde Park and The Breakers or riding the Amtrak route of the New York Central would be fun to see.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

Poor little rich crone

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

Gordon Parks and Bobby Short both died and didn't leave her anything in their wills.

by Anonymousreply 701/10/2013

She has to pay CNN to employ her son. And CNN gives AC the money. You don't honestly think anyone would PAY him for that crap do you?

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

Actually she inherited a trust as a child which was big money then. That she did not manage it well is an understatement. It was long gone by the time she began to earn significant money with her various ventures in the 70s and 80s. And she blew those wads as well.

She is not poor- and her son he very wealthy- but her life gas been marked by blowing large sums of money.

I have shared before the reason she was rejected by a top NYC coop years ago- had nothing to do with her friendship with Bobby Short as reported in the press. She did not meet the financial requirements of the coop and WAS being mislead by her lawyer at the time, Roy Cohn. The coop board advised her to get rid of him and even offered to cooperate with disbarment procedures. He was disbarred years later, although she was not the cause.

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

who the the fuck is the bitter R10 queen amd why don't you just leave this planet.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

Was there a biography written on Bobby Short? I once saw an auction catalog for sale in Ebay on Bobby Short's estate. He had elegant taste. Was Bobby Short gay? I have that vibe that he was.

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

She's not broke today, but it's true she was ripped off for millions by her shrink and lawyer. She had to sell her home in Southampton and liquidate her investments to pay her debts, including back taxes, in the late 80s.

Her co-op apartment is paid-off and she still makes quite a bit of money from licensing her name. So, she's OK, but certainly not super rich.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

I really feel sorry for her, she's suffering so.

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

she better not start stalking tig!

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

Gloria will never be broke as long as AC has a bank account.

by Anonymousreply 2101/13/2013

[quote]Did Amy Vanderbilt jump or fall?

I understand that it was a very small window. She was indisputably, um, less than lithe. The odds of her simply tumbling through were apparently very, very remote.

by Anonymousreply 2201/13/2013

Andy Coopie got a huge bank account; she ain´t broke!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2301/13/2013

(R5) Judy Garland "tried acting." Funniest thing I've ever read on here!

by Anonymousreply 2401/13/2013

She paints like an autistic 6-yr. old.

by Anonymousreply 2501/13/2013

Holy shit, those are vomitous!

by Anonymousreply 2601/13/2013

Anderson's got enough money to take care of her, doesn't matter what she lost, he's more than made up for it by now.

by Anonymousreply 2701/13/2013

Oh my. Those paintings are .... quite interesting.

They certainly suggest a young naif painted them at the very least.

I do wonder what is going on in Red Balloon.

by Anonymousreply 2801/13/2013

The people in those paintings have no faces. I think that's very telling. I sometimes wonder what it was like growing up in her household. One son committed suicide, another one has been estranged from her for over 30 years. She doesn't strike me as having been the best prepared for motherhood, probably resulting from her own tumultuous childhood. I have a feeling there are many demons in Anderson's closet (no pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 2901/13/2013

[quote]Was Bobby Short gay? I have that vibe that he was.

Please turn in your gay card as you leave.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 3001/13/2013

Make that "poor little rich little poor little crone."

by Anonymousreply 3101/13/2013

R26, I checked your link out, LOL! I couldn't agree with you more! The prices for her art is outrageous! I can picture these stupid new rich people saying, Oh my gosh!! Gloria painted this!!! Did anyone check out her "Magic Boxes"? LOL! Oh my oh my! I was laughing so hard when saw her "Magic Boxes" in addition to her other "Art". BTW, Gloria changed her name. Her name now is Gloria Vanderwarhol, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

R32, "The prices... is outrageous"? Clean up your act before you LOL three times at others.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

Mrs. Joan Crawford!!! R33!! That is enough! Control yourself!

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

I like her paintings. They're not at all what I expected from her, though. Given her background, i thought they'd be more formal, but they have the spirit of good folk art. I wonder if that's a choice, or because of lack of ability to do anything else. Either way, i think they're wonderful, and I wish her well with them.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

Bobby Short never could get hard for Mom, but he did for me!

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

I cannot believe the absolutely horrid comments written. It is shameful. Clearly a bunch of non educated inbreds who are jealous of others having success.

by Anonymousreply 3709/01/2014

Real Vanderbilt money has been gone for ages. I recently read Fortune's Children The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt. It details the family history and how, in a matter of two generations, they blew through what would have been billions of dollars today.

As soon as it reached the hands of those who didn't earn it the money got pissed away. You should read it. I couldn't put it down. It was a fucking fantastic book.

by Anonymousreply 3809/01/2014

Wow... when it comes to talent she's right up there with Thom Bierdz and those elephants who paint for charity.

by Anonymousreply 3909/01/2014

Yes, but those people are buying history. Gloria's money may be gone, but her heritage isn't.

by Anonymousreply 4009/01/2014

Great wealth is not as easy as most assume. The vultures nip at the heels continually in all areas of life.

There is no one to trust. No one.

by Anonymousreply 4109/01/2014

And never touch your principal.

by Anonymousreply 4209/01/2014

I like her paintings.

by Anonymousreply 4309/01/2014

In one of Nick Dunne's books, he inferred she was sleeping with an undertaker at Frank Campbell's Funeral Home. Amongst the corpses.

Another good book to read about Gloria and her friends is "Among the Porcupines" by Carol Matthau.

by Anonymousreply 4409/01/2014

[quote]Real Vanderbilt money has been gone for ages. I recently read Fortune's Children The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt. It details the family history and how, in a matter of two generations, they blew through what would have been billions of dollars today.

Another vote for this book--it's very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 4509/01/2014

When Anderson's brother fell from that balcony, his father had already died from a heart attack? Is that correct? They were living in a River House apartment at that time. Weren't they? Isn't that in Turtle Bay and isn't that one of the stuffiest and snobbiest and most difficult of co-op boards in the city to this day? Does she still live there?

by Anonymousreply 4609/01/2014

Anderson must be worth 100 million by now, he wouldn't allow her to be broke.

by Anonymousreply 4709/06/2014

Ironic that the Vanderbilts way down in North Carolina are filthy rich while their yankee cousins aren't doing so well.

by Anonymousreply 4809/06/2014

Rice Paddy to Rice Paddy in three generations. Rarely does a family fortune last more than three generations.

You have to have a hefty portfolio to live large. If you use the rule you never spend more than 4% of the principle, $1,000,000 will only yield $40,000 a year in income. $5,000,000 will only yield $200,000 a year allowing you to live a sold upper middle class life in the Mid West. A decent house, a couple of nice cars, private school for an only child,a nice family vacation once a year and a housekeeper once a week. If you live in LA, Chicago or New York your solidly in the middle class.

Certainly not a Kardashian or 1 percenter life style.

by Anonymousreply 4909/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!