Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you a cat person or dog person?

Research has shown that there's a difference in personality between the two. Cat people tend to be more creative, adventurous but prone to anxiety;whereas, dog people tend to be more extroverted, reckless.

by Anonymousreply 8801/10/2013

I love both but have cats because they are simply easier to care for and I can leave for a weekend without worrying about them being walked. They are still slightly annoyed when I come home though and can act out. :-)

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

I like turtles.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

Same as r1. Love both but have cats because they are lower maintenance than a dog.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

I like both but prefer to live with cats also. All my friends with dogs spoil them and treat them like children (indulged, badly-behaved children). I feel sorry for those dogs, who need a dominant pack leader and some social hierarchy, not a helpless enabler who can't or won't impose boundaries and discipline.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

Cat lover.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

I have both, but they are outside. The only way I would allow animals in the house would be if that was the only way to get rid of worse animals, i.e. when I lived in an old farmhouse and had to have cats in the house to eat any field mice that came in.

There are 3 dogs in the dog pen, and their main purpose in life is to bark at strangers, and to eat food scraps that would otherwise attract varmints to the trash cans. There are two free roaming cats on the property, and their main purpose is to keep the place free of varmints.

The dogs are easy to train, but the cats seem to be trying to train me.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

I love both, but I have cats.

You have to train and discipline dogs, because if you don't maintain the pack heirarchy you get behavioral problems, but you can spoil cats rotten. If I wanted to train and discipline something, I'd have children.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

If you pet does not share the inside of your house/apt, its not really a pet.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Cat friend vs. dog friend:

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

neither. I am actually sick of people with pets. They treat their pets better than humans. They wipe their dogs asses and pick up their shit but wouldn't dream of taking care of their elderly parent or grandparent.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

Cats forever

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

Dogs for me.

Cats are evil.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

Fuck R11. I have two dogs. I love and take care of my father (mother and grandparents have long passed).

BTW, if you are a cat person, I have no problem with that.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

We have a 17 yo lab mix, a 12 yo chow mix, a 33# diabetic tuxedo cat, and a 17 yo tabby. All rescues. We run an animal hospice. They mostly sleep, but when they are awake, they are a pleasure.

We have a bushel basket of toys and balls we finally took to the basement because no one wanted to play with them anymore. The oldest dog has a "GD kids, get offa my lawn" look when he goes outside.

The dogs are a great early warning system when someone pulls in the driveway. But they also bark insanely when they see UPS, Fedex or PO trucks, because those three stop at our house frequently.

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

Forever pussy.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

Don't trust people who cannot love pets.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

ANYONE who says cats are evil are self-defined ignorant assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

I'm creative, anxious and introverted. Love dogs, not a fan of cats at all. Plenty of shy/quiet/introverted people are "dog people" - walking your dog is a great way to meet and interact with new people when you'd otherwise not know how to start a conversation. Plus, dogs give unconditional love.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2013

Could this be the grand DL war we've all been waiting for? Will breasts become waxen with rage, and will Diana Ross - who? - fall into oblivion? I'll fire the opening salvo:

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

I like cats, but I LOVE dogs.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

Have never understood why so many people think that we have to be one or the other. Love both, and my favourite thing is to have a cat and a dog at the same time. I love watching them relate. Also, agree with R18.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

Dogs are more lovable.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

R11, I have pet cats at home, volunteer with a feral & stray cat rescue group (trap/spay-neuter/return/maintain), AND help my sister care for our elderly parents (mom has Alzheimer's, CHF and vascular dementia ; dad is 85% blind).

Cats keep me sane and grounded. If it weren't for them I would run away and join the circus.

BTW, my other sister is a total dog person, and has lots of $$$$ and free time (retired at 48, the lucky bitch). She does jack shit for our parents.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

[quote]I feel sorry for those dogs, who need a dominant pack leader and some social hierarchy, not a helpless enabler who can't or won't impose boundaries and discipline.

There's a guy like this in the neighborhood where I take my walks. Such a wuss -- you can tell that his dog holds him in contempt, as do I.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

Situational cat person.

I volunteer with dog and cat shelters but only have cats at home. Due to a small apartment, finances and work, being a dog owner isn't in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

r21 = the 'waxen breast' troll

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

Just what is this "waxen breast" I keep hearing about?

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

I like them, but dogs are way too needy for me.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

I need to have a cat. I can't explain why just something about having one around me makes me feel saner. When I don't have one it feels like something is off. Having said that I wouldn't say I am a cat lover. I love MY cat. Other cats are on a cat by cat basis and most are just okay and I wouldn't care to have more than one at a time.

I grew up with dogs. I would like a dog but I can live without one. If I had a house and a partner to help me take care of it, I would definitely have a dog too.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

I believe it was a "waxy crimson breast" IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

I'm a cat person. I can't stand dogs and most dog people, but I find people with no pets very untrustworthy.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

I prefer dogs.

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

I [italic]LOVE[/italic] Cats!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

We are all the 'waxy / waxen crimson breast' troll. Seriously, though, I love that phrase.

R26 is a freak. Is he preparing to create a new master race?

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

Cats RULE, dogs drool!

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

I like dogs....

I ADORE cats!

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Which makes you a lousy judge of character.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

[quote]I love MY cat. Other cats are on a cat by cat basis and most are just okay and I wouldn't care to have more than one at a time.

The more the merrier, R31. Trust me -- I've been doing it for over 50 years, all happily.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

Cats are funnier

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

I have a dog, a cat, and a fish. Or, to be more accurate, I have a dog, the dog has a cat, and the cat has a fish.

All is well in my world.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2013

I don't understand the concept of pets. Why do people want animals in their house?

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2013

I'm a cat person. I imprinted on cats early, since I was born into a house that had two of them.

I've had some wonderful cats as pets over they years - if you treat them right, they can be such sweet, loving, intelligent, sensitive animals it breaks your heart.

So while I love animals in general, including dogs, I LOVE cats.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2013

[quote]I don't understand the concept of pets. Why do people want animals in their house?

You're fooled into thinking you're loved and you have something to love. I had dogs for years and then I had the world's best cat but now I'm done with pets. I enjoy my freedom and the absence of pet hair on my furniture, clothes and socks.

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

I have a dog and a cat and I love having both.

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2013

I love both but prefer cats. Smaller, independent, no huge, lolling, dribbly tongues, don't stink, and easier poo clean up.

I have had one dog and really loved her but my cats have been easier to manage. Not as overtly emotionally needy but they are loving and attached. I currently have one large funny orange and white male who I adore. He loves me, too.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

Dogs and even cats sometimes wipe their asses on the rug which I can't stand. Dogs are always underfoot and in the way then can't understand when their paws get stepped on. Dogs who are not thoroughly housebroken are of little use to anyone--who wants a house that stinks of dogshit and piss, at least cats almost always go in the litter box if they don't it's their way of saying something is wrong with them. Above all, I hate the puke--cleaning up cat or dog puke is horrible. In short, the amusement or companionship does not outweigh the cleanup of puke, piss, shit, and hair. Nor does it outweigh the vet bills which in this day and age are outrageous. My sister kept diabetic cats alive for years with expensive insulin. At the first sign of diabetes, I think it's time for euthanasia; in the wild an animal like that would have been eliminated long before.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

R43= Larry David.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

I have no problem with any who have no pets, but do not trust those who dislike animals. There aren't many, but I have known some. There's something not quite right with them. R48, there's frost burn where your soul should be.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

I like both cats and dogs and have had both, but if I could only have one, I would choose a dog.

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2013

Dogs have their own undeniable charm but can they do THIS?:

For this alone I think it gives cats the edge.

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2013

Both. An animal person full stop.

I also quite like people too.

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2013

I never felt a house was complete without a dog and a cat. In my family, they're something neutral we can all discuss when topics get awkward.

I thought I was done with cats when the last one died. Within a week, a neighbor with allergies said a kitten followed her home. Now, I have a one year-old who likes to bat at my dick when I'm trying to take a leak.

I adopted an old, fat, smelly girl two years ago so we'd have a dog. She's convinced she's a lap dog and I have to keep a napkin in the car so she doesn't wipe her ass on my leg. Since my dad died, her farts and snores keep me company.

Each carries its weight. They tell me secrets I don't understand and I do the same. I'll be closing the house soon and I'm lucky we're all welcome at the new place.

I don't plan on having any more pets, but only because they drop dead too soon.

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2013

R54, you sound cute.

by Anonymousreply 5501/09/2013

I like dogs and love cats. Dogs seem to lick your face, smell your butt, follow you around constantly, food obsessed, a few reasons why I can't really with one. I agree about people who seem to hate animals, they are not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 5601/09/2013

I'm more of a cat person.

by Anonymousreply 5701/09/2013

Gay men like CATS???? Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 5801/09/2013

I can't decide which one I like better. I have both cats and dogs even though my apartment doesn't allow pets. I have a 3 year old cat, a 4 year old tabby, a 6 year old siamese, a 10 year old black cat, a 12 year old ciaco, a 16 year old persian, and 6 kittens of varying colors, a 5 year old lab, a 4 year old pug, a beagle puppy, a 10 year old poodle and a 5 year old shit tzu. I love them all!

by Anonymousreply 5901/09/2013

How many of those are still breathing, R59?

by Anonymousreply 6101/09/2013

Of course all of them are still breathing, bitch. And no, my apartment doesn't stink. I wouldn't invite you over anyway. They're very particular with the people they share their space with, as am I.

Oh, and I also have a 7 year old weimeraner. OMG, how could I have forgotten about him. I'm sorry, Sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2013

Do they wear outfits, R59, or tell riddles?

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2013

I was a dog person until I saw this beautiful Iams cat food commercial concerning Ziggy the cat opening up autistic boy Jake's very private world. Cats rock.

by Anonymousreply 6401/09/2013

Of course I don't make them wear outfits; I'm not crazy. Well, except for Halloween; they do each get their own costumes then. I like to do themes with all cats in one theme and all dogs in one theme, never mixed. Tell riddles? Are you kidding me? Animals can't talk. Are you insane or stupid?

by Anonymousreply 6501/09/2013

I believe some of you resemble this individual:

by Anonymousreply 6601/09/2013

No reason you have to be one at the exclusion of the other. I have both a wonderful 14 year old male orange tabby and a 2-year old female Cavalier King Charles spaniel and they are best buddies and I love them both equally.

by Anonymousreply 6701/09/2013

Thanks r40 but no. I love animals and like I said I bond well to my pets when I have one but I prefer a one to one type thing. One cat, one dog. That's enough.

by Anonymousreply 6801/09/2013

I grew up loving dogs & hating cats. I've lived with & adored my 2 cats in my adult life now.

by Anonymousreply 6901/09/2013

Pussy lover here. Death to R3.

by Anonymousreply 7001/09/2013

what's up with gay men and cats? i just want to know, please. one would think if you don't like pussy then you should be adverse to the feline variety as well. i once had a bf who own a cat and i must have stood there for like 15mins straight, calling this animal's name and sapping my fingers just to be very briefly acknowledged by the rascal as it continued to look out the window at passing cars. i surmised that it only turned around just to see who was making all that noise. never once did it respond to its name and come running towards me as one would be led to believe by commercials. then on another occasion, i came over and wore this 100% wool sweater. now it noticed me and proceeded to use me as its own personal scratching post. now, i don't own either but i must say to hell with cats.

by Anonymousreply 7101/09/2013

I agree with R40, except with dogs.

by Anonymousreply 7201/09/2013

R71, are you competing for simpleton of the year award?

Gays like cats better than straight men because cats are glamorous and feminine.

by Anonymousreply 7301/09/2013

R1 here again. I totally agree with the other posters who said there is something wrong with people who dislike animals. Most of the people I've met like this turn out to be narcissistic and some may even have been borderline sociopaths.

I grew up with cats, dogs, rabbits, birds and guinea pigs. I dearly wanted a pot-bellied pig but the parents said no. I would happily live on an animal rescue farm if I could.

To everyone saying only gay men and women like cats how do you explain the many straight guys with cats? A lot of apartment dwellers opt for cats. My son and both of my brothers, all straight, love both cats and dogs. My son came home one night with a tiny little kitten in his palm he'd found in some weeds who runs the house now. I've posted pics of it here before.

by Anonymousreply 7401/09/2013

r50, I never said I didn't like them did I. I said I didn't like the expense and cleaning up after them, didn't I. I think you need to improve your reading skills, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 7501/09/2013

" I totally agree with the other posters who said there is something wrong with people who dislike animals."

My partner's brother always used to talk about getting a cat for himself because he thought ours were so personable, and then he could "just keep it outside most of the time". I asked him to please NOT get a cat, or a dog either, as that was an terrible way to treat any animal. He was kind of pissy about it, but ultimately decided he didn't want that much responsibility.

My sister kept the kids' aging dog in the basement, and then went compeltely the other way with their second dog, who ran wild in the neighborhood and turned out to be a bunny-killer. Poor dog was euthanized. Her comment to the kids: "You don't deserve a dog".

by Anonymousreply 7601/09/2013

r76, you need to come down from the clouds, there is no more wrong with people who dislike having animals around than there is with you, in fact, your holier than thou attitude about it is a big turn off. I'll bet anything you're a big fat frau. Some people just aren't cut out for having animals, some people aren't cut out for having children either but they still have them. None of this makes them "WRONG" (OH! did you hear about those two men living together? I think there's something WRONG with them.....), just different--learn a little forebearance, dearie, you'll live longer--not that that would be doing anybody any big favors.

by Anonymousreply 7701/09/2013

Oh lord it's the 'mo troll. Cats and dogs are for the 'mos and straights. Deal with it troll.

by Anonymousreply 7901/09/2013

R77, the thing is that most people don't want to interact with those "who aren't cut out for pets" because they lack empathy and are very narcissistic and irresponsible to all but their own needs. People who have pets enjoy sharing their time, company, money and assets and, more often than not, have a strong sense of empathy for other creatures, be they human or otherwise. Certainly, there are abusive pet owners just as there are abusive parents, partners, bosses, etc. but the majority of people who bother to adopt a pet tend to take pretty good care of them. And there are those who would love to have a pet and would be great pet owners but cannot because of finances or schedule, allergies and other things actually beyond their control, but no one who really has a desire to make the world a better place moves into a No Pets building if there are other options.

by Anonymousreply 8001/09/2013

My pussy looks like a dog got hold of it. Does that help?

by Anonymousreply 8101/10/2013

r80, it takes all kinds to make a world--Adolf Hitler was an "animal lover" and he wanted to make the world a better place at least for his people but I think we can all agree that he was "wrong" wasn't he? You seem to be desperately clinging to some sort of "us against them" position that is quite erroneous. If you want to make the world a better place I suggest you start planting trees anywhere and everywhere you can and quit judging others lest you are also judged.

by Anonymousreply 8201/10/2013

[R82] wow classy, yes please bring up a hitler reference. if you're doing that you should provide some linkage so we can actually verify it since you're the one bringing that shit up.

i think it's safe to say that majority of the people here who indicate that those who dislike animals are have less empathy speak from a place of experience, as do i, and to be honest, defensiveness and selfishness are one of the key traits of people who don't like animals at all if you ask me.

also, i'm pretty sure no one is dating you that has a pet since you're obviously mean-spirited that way. i'm betting $20 you'll prove my point and reply with something nasty/sarcastic that tries to prove that we shouldn't think that people who dislike pets are bad AKA STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE

by Anonymousreply 8301/10/2013

r83 are you that ignorant of history as well as punctuation and grammar that you have to fall back on a link? Look it up yourself, lazy frau! Learn punctuation--any third grader knows that every sentence begins with a capital letter; who are you, ee cummings?! Not only are you a hopeless bore, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had not a few, but many, screws loose upstairs. Have a nice life weirdo, if you can. I never said I disliked animals, you did, as fraus often stick words in other peoples mouths that don't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 8401/10/2013

r83=cat lady on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 8501/10/2013

Love cats..... and I'm not the least bit creative. My 2 childhood cats were the BEST.

I like dogs, especially ones that listen and don't jump all over me..... but I would never own one.

My dad and his wife have the cutest little Yorkie named BoBo.

by Anonymousreply 8601/10/2013

Neither...all they do is eat, shit and shed. Don't want any filthy critters in my house, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 8701/10/2013

That chester guy has Obama kitties this month on his webcam.

by Anonymousreply 8801/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!