Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How does one get addicted to prescription medications?

Okay, so Heath Ledger wasn't on stuff like marijuana and the like, but he died by od-ing on prescription medications which he got from doctors. How does one get addicted to stuff like that? I can't. I used to be prescribed acne cream, but you don't see me being addicted to the med. How does one get addicted to stuff like that? Do you like the flavor? Do you enjoy the effect? How does one do it? How did Ledger OD on prescription meds, with all due respect to Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

Considering that acne cream isn't addictive, your example is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

I will give this a try:

You take the drugs repeatedly, over and over, far exceedingly the RDA until such time as when you don't take the drug, either by choice or because you've run out of the drugs, your body reacts in such a way that it makes you mentally or physically sick/anxious/upset/etc. such that the only way to circumnavigate those ill feelings is to take more of the drugs.

The reason you first take the drugs can be valid (due to an injury, perhaps) or recreational (for fun) or because you've always been an addict (some genetic or behavioral aberration).

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

Oy veh. Heath overdosed on prescription painkillers OP, which are often opiates (like Vicodin, Percocet or Oxycontin). All you need is one doctor to be convinced that your back pain is legitimate or better yet just a doctor who wants to make money off of the appointments for prescribing you the meds and you've got yourself a potentially fatal addiction. Herion is also an opiate and that's why drugs like oxy are now killing so many people. They're far more addictive than marijuana or even cocaine because the withdrawal is much much worse.

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

Acne cream? Really?

OP you're a fucking idiot or a troll. Either way- just fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

I got addicted to my prescription suppositories.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

Also, he had anti-anxiety medications in his system which probably means benzos like xanax. Mixing that with opiates AND sleeping pills, he was probably seeing different doctors because no single physician would prescribe all three to one person.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

R5, perhaps your real addiction was to the insertion process.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

He had prescriptions from more than one doctor. One never knows what the other has prescribed.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

I was given a prescription for Vicodan after orthopedic surgery. I was given 60 pills and probably only needed about 8. I can see how people get addicted, it's a very nice high. In my case though, I couldn't really move, so I was high, flat on my back, and that gets a little boring. So as soon as I didn't need them for pain, I stopped taking them.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Marijuana? Nobody overdoses on that, what an odd comparative. Alcohol is more potent.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

It doesn't take long for your body to become dependent on opioid painkillers. Typically, if you have been involved in a car crash, or some other incident that causes chronic pain, even if you are a perfectly compliant patient, you will go through withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking your medication. If it turns out that you enjoy the way the medication makes you feel, you will want to continue taking it and you especially will not want to go through withdrawal, and you become addicted.

Discontinuing acne cream doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms and using acne cream isn't psychologically enjoyable, so it's not likely to be addictive.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

Many if not most prescription drug addicts probably have a history of drug and/or alcohol abuse. It's relatively rare to find a prescription drug addict who innocently began taking the drugs to control pain and then got hooked.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

Just don't snort the acne cream and you'll be OK. It is the snorting that causes addiction, oh and shooting up, so don't do that either.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

My doctor won't prescribe more than 25 Xanax pills at the time, and I better not come back for more any time soon. So, I have had the same bottle of pills for over a year. I just use them when I absolutely have to.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

Totally agree with R12. I liked the buzz from Vicodin after dental surgery, but I didn't view it as a recreational high. There were 28 of 30 pills left.

My pillhead sister stole what was left of my prescription, immediately got fucked up with it and nodded out at Thanksgiving dinner. My enabler mom kept saying, "Well, she wouldn't take it if she didn't NEED it!" Right, Mom.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

Opiates provide a buzz. They provide a feeling of euphoria. People can very easily get addicted to THAT feeling. What's hard to understand? Are you retarded, OP? Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

Heath was in fact doctor shopping. In fact he was getting drugs from physicians in the US, UK and Australia. All who claimed they had no knowledge of the others.

In the USA steps have been taken to try to keep track of medicines so you can't doctor shop. But using doctors in different countries, obviously won't stop those with money.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.