Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I've started taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D daily, and I feel amazing

Way more energy, far less depressed, less groggy in the morning. The flu has swept through my office, and I've stayed healthy.

I've been taking the liquid form, so it doesn't have to be digested like capsules.

Has anyone else experienced this?

DL MDs, is this OK to continue until spring?

by Anonymousreply 6907/13/2013

Do you take it once a day or is this the liquid that you need to take 5 times a day to be effective?

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

I'm doing it too mainly for my skin. I can't tell any big difference in energy. What kind are you taking? I know some vitamins are superior to others.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

Most ppl are Vit D deficient. Especially those who cannot be in the sun daily (which is nearly everyone).

Go up to 6000IU per day. 10,000 is the cutoff where regular ingestion becomes toxic. 10,000 once in awhile if you forgot a day is okay, but generally, work with 6000 and see how it goes.

In the sunny months, you could try 2000IU per day, unless you're a real sunhound.

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

You only need to take it once per day, to be effective.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

Dr. Mercola has tons of info on Vitamin D.

When the weather gets warm, for me the best thing to do is go in the back yard near sunset, remove my shirt and sit in direct sunlight for 15-20 minutes. Because it's sunset, the rays/radiation aren't anywhere near as severe. 20 minutes of sun gets you 20,000 IUs of natural D. Best way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

I use D Drops. One drop per day in a glass of water is all you need.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

R6, are you a doctor? No. Because that's ridiculously under-dosing to the point of being ineffective. I posted my doctor's recommendations.

If you have no deficiency (which nearly everyone does), you need 5 drops just to get to 2000IU which is the daily amount needed. If you're deficient, you'll do much better with 15 drops. Daily.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

Anyone from a northern climate will tell you vitamin D is THE survival tool for winter.

Russia's military used to give it to the army, running back to the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

You seem to have some serious anger issues, R7. Maybe lack of Vitamin D isn't really your problem.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

I'm taking Sundown Naturals liquid, once a day. Tasty orange flavor. $6.99 at Rite Aid.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

Ya got me, R9. I get perturbed when misinformation is given and it could hurt health. Vit D is important stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

Great info, R5.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

I take 10, 000 once a week. Doc prescribed, btw.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

That is another myth. Nearly all your Vitamin D is absorbed through your eyes, not your skin, so even if you're covered up head to toe, as long as you're not wearing UV sunglasses you'll be fine.

600 to 800 IU is all you need with 4,000IU being the upper limit.

People don't understand vitamins and Vitamin D technically isn't a vitamin as you can make it yourself. That is a key mark of vitamins that your body can't make it.

Vitamins are catalysts. Look at it this way, if you light a stove, the flame is the catalyst that lights the stove. If you use a tiny match or a blow torch it still lights. It doesn't matter how much fire you use. The minimum is enough to get it started.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

You guys seem smart...do you believe that caffeine/coffee depletes Vitamin D? Other vitamins?

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

[quote]That is another myth. Nearly all your Vitamin D is absorbed through your eyes, not your skin, so even if you're covered up head to toe, as long as you're not wearing UV sunglasses you'll be fine.

Citation please for some scholarly research that backs up this assertion. Your eyes can and do produce Vitamin D. But, they do not make all that we need, or anywhere near it. And 400-600 IUs a day is inadequate for the needs of most people.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

R4, Vit D, or any vitamin, absorbs better when taken in small doses throughout the day. 400 3x day is better than 1200 all at once.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

I had a Vit D deficiency test and my score was 11 (normal is between 50-60). My doctor put me on a 50K therapeutic dose (a once a week pill) which brought my score up to 49 after 10 weeks. I'm now on a maintenance dose of 5000 per day.

I didn't really feel all that different afterward.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

My MD, who specializes in nutrtion, advises his patients to take 4,000mg of D3 each day, not plain D.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2013

[quote] are you a doctor? No. Because that's ridiculously under-dosing to the point of being ineffective. I posted my doctor's recommendations.

R7, the poster never said what his/her dose was. What ever doseage R6 is taking depends on the concentration of vitamin D drops. You don't know how much is in one drop

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

Good point, R21. I made an assumption that all Vit D3 drops are 2000IU per 5 drops, which is what my bottle is.

R14, maybe? The S.A.D. lights say you must keep your eyes open and be facing in close proximity to their lights in order to reap the benefits (don't get cheap knockoffs - they don't have the light spectrum needed).

I too have heard that Vit D drops don't work for some; that it can only be obtained from the sun. The sun is the best, most natural, and cheapest. But if you live a modern life and have a deficiency, anything that mitigates your unnatural indoors-based life could benefit your health. It's worth trying. I'm thankful I feel less fatigue and blues when taking it, so I'll keep on.

R15, plenty online says caffeine strips nutrients. But so does sugar, and so do the phytates in all grains, seeds, nuts and beans that were not soaked before consumption (phytates keep seeds viable and dormant in nature until the rains come to sprout new life, but phytates strip nutrients from human bodies). It comes down to: how much time can you dedicate to creating health? Doing everything right takes a lot of work. Just do your best and make as many healthy choices as you can.

R16 with headaches - were there other ingredients in the product? Is it a quality brand? I'd give it up too if I suffered. Just like I gave up fish oil due to burps and gas. I just eat sardines and smoked wild salmon instead (NW only, as that's the only side of the U.S. that has trustworthy wild fish).

My doc says multi-vitamins are more useful when your daily dose is spread throughout the day, but if you are busy/forgetful, it's better to take them all at once than underdose. Her advice about Vit D differed when I asked if I should split it with Brek/Lun/Din and she said no, just once per day. I think it has something to do with fat-solubility, but I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

Isn't it true that if you get more Vitamin D your body will become Vitamin A deficient? Aren't these two vitamins in competition?

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

No, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

[quote]My MD, who specializes in nutrtion, advises his patients to take 4,000mg of D3 each day, not plain D.

There are two forms of Vitamin D: D2 and D3. You want to supplement with Vitamin D3 as it is better absorbed and more bio-available. D2 is hardly even sold in drug stores or supermarkets. It is mostly used to supplement foods, like cereal and bread.

[quote]4,000 IU being the upper limit.

That is simply not accurate.

[quote]Published cases of toxicity, for which serum levels and dose are known, all involve intake of ≥ 40000 IU (1000 mcg) per day.

I urge you to look at the information that is provided by the Vitamin D Council (linked below). For some parts of that website, you need to be a paying member, but some very good general content is free.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

There may be a link between Vitamin D over- supplementation and kidney stones.

Google "Vitamin D Kidney Stones" for the pro/con discussions.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

I'm afraid to take vitamin D because I had kidney stones.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

I was chronically low, so my doctor gave me the super stong dose for a bit and then down to a maintenance dose. Over all I have more energy and reserves. Odd thing though it seems to make my drowsy or maybe just relaxed so I take it at bedtime. Is that odd?

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

I'm on 50,000IU 2x a week. I feel nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

R28, you should have your D levels tested to see where you fall in the range. It might be helpful to take D3 under the advice of a doc, who can tell you how much and what to watch for. But yeah, if you've passed a stone before, it might not be worth it in the meantime. Most of us have some amount of malnutrition, actually. If the choice was mild malnutrition or passing a stone, I would not choose the stone!

Also, do you drink a lot of water? Hydration is very helpful for preventing kidney stone problems (not necessarily 100% effective, but highly helpful).

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

Placebo effect in action.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

It doesn't matter how effective the vitamin D is, if you use the "a-word" to describe yourself, you're a douche

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

A word? What do you mean? To whom are you referring?

Also, good info R33! That could save a few people who can't afford tests and doctors some money, while still promoting health. That's why I go on and on whenever I have health info. The more we can share helpful info that one of us has researched or paid an expert for, the more everyone has access.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

I try to drink a lot of water, R31

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

The "A-word" is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

It also clears your skin. Anyone have that reaction? I had a pimple a day for years and found out I was deficient. Start taking about 2000 IUS ,and skin clear for years since.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

The Vitamin D Council agrees with R7's recommendations. Most adults will need between 5,000 and 10,000 IU per day, though people with chronic health conditions such as autism, MS, cancer, heart disease, or obesity may need as much as double these amounts.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

I've been taking 5k IU of Vitamin D 5x per week, but I can not feel any difference. The only supplement that has made a difference for me is magnesium. I was having restless leg syndrome at night. After taking a magnesium supplement the restless leg syndrome went away and I feel calmer overall.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

Well now you have R42. I was taking high doses of Calcium, too high, and came down with a stone. I stopped high dosing and have been fine since.

by Anonymousreply 4301/10/2013

Save yourself some money.. I used to take 3000 units of vitamin D a day because I never got out into the sunshine.. now I go for a half an hour walk with face and arms exposed, every day.. either before 10am or after 2pm.. and my vitamin D tests have come back robust.. and I'm saving 50 bucks a month on pills.

by Anonymousreply 4401/10/2013

I take 5000 units of prozac a day with some vallium and a whisky chaser every day.. sometimes every hour.. and I feel terrific!

by Anonymousreply 4501/10/2013

[quote]now I go for a half an hour walk with face and arms exposed, every day

Hello, UV skin damage!

by Anonymousreply 4601/10/2013

[R46]

Before 10am or after 2pm!

by Anonymousreply 4701/10/2013

It's the end of the world, and I feel fine!

by Anonymousreply 4801/10/2013

Calcium pills have the potential of causing kidney stones.

by Anonymousreply 4901/10/2013

Vitamin D poisoning produces symptoms like the OP describes. And then the skin turns yellowish and the fingernails come loose. It's a terrible way to go, shouting, "But I feel so goooooood!"

by Anonymousreply 5001/10/2013

I've been taking a sublingual B12 for years that was advertised on TV and it has helped. I've heard that it's very overpriced and the same basic thing can be bought at other places. Any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 5101/10/2013

To the person who started the thread, are you maybe a vegan? Vegans and vegetarians have the most food allergies and vitamin problems. Eat enough meat, eggs, and some fish if you can get it and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 5201/10/2013

R40, please be careful with a 10,000IU daily dosage. Work with a healthcare practitioner on that, because 10k daily, over time, is a dangerous level. I could see for a short time, though, or not every day...

R51, you can get higher quality supplements, cheaper, if you get them from health care professionals (some therapeutic grade supps are not available without going through a doctor). But it could be any number of modalities: naturopath, chiropractor, chinese medicine doc, homeopath. Call around and ask what they recommend, do they sell directly, and how much.

I was taking what my health food store said was a high quality vite, and my doc showed me how the levels were lower than what hers offered, and her prices were cheaper too. I now use a brand called Omnivite.

by Anonymousreply 5301/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 5401/16/2013

OP I've started taking that dose daily and I feel good and I have avoided all the illness around me. So far so good. I've been hungry all the time, however, which is not good.

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

What is the absorption rate of softgels? Internet searches puts it at 5-20%. That can't be right.

by Anonymousreply 5601/20/2013

My results were 18. How much should I take? My doctor never called me.

by Anonymousreply 5707/10/2013

I did the whole 5,000 IU's of Vitamin D3 a day for three months earlier this year because I don't get much sunshine and because it supposedly helps with depression, and I felt no difference whatsoever.

More hype IMO.

by Anonymousreply 5807/10/2013

I thought that vitamin d was a fat soluable and as such not to be taken as a supplement...am i behind the times?

by Anonymousreply 5907/10/2013

[quote]Dr. Mercola has tons of info on Vitamin D.

Dr. Mercola is one of the biggest quacks in the world. Always a bad sign when an MD quits medicine to become an unregulated vitamin huckster. I can't believe people don't just use the search box and look shit up! Oh, Dr. Perricone is just as wacko.

by Anonymousreply 6007/11/2013

I would never cite Dr. Mercola as a source for anything, because his credibility is suspect and he advances some pretty wacky theories. That said, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I verify with independent and reliable sources any of his claims. Some of them are absolutely erroneous. Such as his assertion that substances in regular gelatin capsules (but not those used for his supplements) can coat your digestive tract and prevent you from absorbing nutrients. Absolutely false.

On the other hand, multiple studies are showing the benefits of increased levels of Vitamin D. Still, I'd never say he's an authority on anything.

by Anonymousreply 6107/11/2013

I take a single 50,000IU capsule once a week of D2. It was prescribed to me after I had bariatric surgery (I take other vitamins as well, to compensate for the malabsorption produced by the surgery). I do feel a little increase of energy, but can also feel a little drop later--and then it just evens out.

by Anonymousreply 6207/11/2013

Supplements might not get absorbs into the body instead it just leaves the body as waste. You should look into things that can aid in absorbing the supplements.

by Anonymousreply 6307/11/2013

Been taking Vitamin D3 supplements daily for over a year, can't get a serum level above 30%. Have done online research and have followed all the instructions to increase absorption. No go. I don't want to sit out in the sun, I've had 3 skin cancers and don't want to make it 4.

by Anonymousreply 6407/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 6507/12/2013

I take prescription 50,000 IU Vitamin D a week which is weird since I am in the direct sunlight everyday for at least one hour. I wonder why my body is not absorbing it.

by Anonymousreply 6607/12/2013

[quote]I'm on 50,000IU 2x a week. I feel nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6707/12/2013

Riddle me this: I surf at least 2x week for about 2 hours, I exercise outside 2-3x week outside for 1 hour. Often times for work, I work outside (if we're on location) and yet my doctor says I'm D deficient- she suggested 1000 IU/day. Yes I wear sunscreen on my face and neck, but not my arms.

by Anonymousreply 6807/12/2013

Great. Another thread for all the DL doctors and fucked up crazies to compare meds.

by Anonymousreply 6907/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.