Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Great Hope Springs"

Did this movie do well? My god, I was bored to death. I get it, old couple tries to get back into the sack in order to save their marriage, hilarity expected to ensue -- though it doesn't.

I was just left cold by this movie. It tried to be funny, but failed. It tried to be touching, but failed. It just dragged on, and was pretty unbelievable in parts.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

Hope Springs, OP? I haven't heard of Great Hope Springs.

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

$65 million domestic, another $35 million foreign. Modest success.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

I thought both Streep and Jones were fantastic. It's a shame that the script was so damn boring. It was actually an interesting premise.

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

I just watched it again last night - the director was at fault in my opinion - layering on ridiculous songs to very deep, emotional scenes undercut the actors. It was as if he was directing Cameron Daiz or Jennifer Lopez for Christ sakes - if you have Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, you don't need cheesey songs added to the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

Yes, the late-added Annie Lennox song "Why" was the worst overkill moment.

The pensive near-loss overnight montage could have had the power and impact of great cinema if he'd just used the actual sounds.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

Streep Troll bait!

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

Meryl needs to work with more challenging material and directors. I don't know what her next film projects are, but I hope she does not just make commercial garbage. August: Osage County wrapped last year, so I am sure she is on the hunt for new work. I remain available for strong roles.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

R1, in early posters and trailers, it was advertised as Great Hope Springs before it became simply Hope Springs.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

I thought it was one of the best comedy release from Meryl and Jones. OP, if you were that bored, then go watch your Transformers.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Agree that performances were good but David Frankel relies too much on pop songs to lull audience. Would love to see MS work with a more talented director, like Kathryn Bigelow, Paul Thomas Anderson, or Ang Lee.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

I thought it was awful. Didn't care for Streep and Jones in it. Embarrassed to see Streep giving a blowjob to a banana.

Why on earth she accepted this piece of shit when she's done outstanding comic films in the past is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!