Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Neil Patrick Harris' Super Bowl Ad Slammed For 'Pushing Gay Agenda' On CBS

Neil Patrick Harris is being slammed for "mocking Christianity" with a new Super Bowl ad.

Harris is featured in a new commercial wearing eye black printed with "Feb. 3, 2013," or the date of Super Bowl XLVII. The ad is a direct nod to New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow, who won't be participating in the Super Bowl but is known for posting Bible verses in his eye black.

The "How I Met Your Mother" star's move has sparked the ire of conservative news site WND. Writer Joe Kovacs condemned Harris, who he deems as "making no secret of his homosexuality," as well CBS for the clip:

"CBS, the television network airing the big game this year, is now using an outspoken homosexual actor to mimic Tim Tebow’s style of trumpeting messages in eyeblack on his face. One football fan who watched the CBS promo Sunday made the connection between Harris and Tebow, saying, 'They’re pushing a gay agenda by using him, and they’re mocking Christians at the same time.'"

As Towleroad pointed out, this isn't the first time eye black has sparked controversy on the field. Toronto Blue Jays shortshop Yunel Escobar took the field earlier this year with an anti-gay slur ("maricon") written in his eye black during a game against the Boston Red Sox.

The phrase (with a slight spelling fix) is most commonly translated from Spanish to English as "You are a faggot," according to the Toronto Star.

Editor's note: While criticism has come for what some have called Neil Patrick Harris' mimicking of Tim Tebow's eye black, others have pointed out that NPH's image is actually referencing these promotional shots of Beyonce, who will be performing at the Super Bowl this year.

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2014

NPH has become such a fame whore.

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

1. If it IS mocking Tebow and Christianity, GOOD! Let it raise questions and poke a stick at the Tebow and his moronic fans.

2. Yes, NPH is a fame whore and is about as overexposed as an old roll of Polaroid film.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

anytime Tim Tebow is mentioned my dick gets rock hard

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

How is he any more overexposed than any other celebrity?

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

R1 = idiotic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

This is working out quite well! Outraged moralists! Too funny!

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

The Christian right-wing whackos are paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

Hey! They finally realized we're mocking them!

Only took them a few centuries.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

[quote]NPH has become such a fame whore.

Not nearly as bad as countless straight celebs (Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc).

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

anything that pisses off the religious right is fine by me. Oh and Fuck Tebow for not keeping his religious views out of football.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

R6 is right.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

"2. Yes, NPH is a fame whore and is about as overexposed as an old roll of Polaroid film."

I'm outraged because I thought polaroid was a cartridge for instant pics and kodak had rolls of film. No?

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

And why shouldn't CBS use one of its biggest stars to promote the biggest game of the year?

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

Controversy is good.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

Is he wearing a red shirt in the ad? If so, he's promoting communism.

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

The guy that play mike on mike & Molly has an ad exactly like this. Notice these homophobes are fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

I like watching the christians get their panties in a wad.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2013

Why shouldn't those hypocrites be mocked? They're not Christians, they're just a bunch of ignorant, sanctimonious lemmings.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

Mohamet? Isn't that an Egyptian Pharoah?

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

r22, most people have realized that guys like Tebow (or the Jonas Bros. back then) use Christian values as a sales (or public image) gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

Tebow is legit with his faith. However, he is not the only one to put writing on the face black. Many players do, but the "War on Christmas" campaign didn't work this year, so the annual ejaculation of Christian outrage has to manufacture a target. It is also an opportunity for Kovacs to get some interviews on the cable news stations so that he can further his own career.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

r22 - did NPH think up, produce and pay for this ad himself? He was asked by CBS to do a promo. I'm sure he has no knowledge of Tebow's writing bible verse numbers in his eye black. I never knew about it before.

You know who's a fame whore? Hugh Jackman. The nerve of him, buying all that ad time and putting commercials of himself singing in Les Miz. What an ego!

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

R22, Tebow must not have read Matthew 6:6:

"When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you."

In other words, keep it to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

This will be pulled.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

Love Neil.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

This is, Tebow himself could be a closeted homosexualist. If he came out, would that mean he's no longer entitled to be a 'Christian'? And who's to say NPH isn't? Part of the problem is the Christian right thinking gays can't be for Jesus. Or that Tebow himself could be gay.

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

So where is the Beyonce criticism?

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

Agree with R22. And I'm gay and am the first to push back against rapid fundies. But WTF has Tim Tebow done to catch such hate? So the fuck what if he wants to spew Christian stuff. He doesn't appear to be judging people and seems like a nice kid.

NPH's ad is cute, in theory anyway. NPH is painfully overexposed and in love with himself and I wish he's go the fuck away already.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

Hey r22 did you watch the link OP posted? In it they show a picture of Beyonce who has done the exact same thing with eye black that NPH has done. Neil was parodying Beyonce. It is part of the CBS ad campaign for the Super Bowl which will air on that network. If CBS is using other celebs to promote they will probably have the eye black with that date too.

Tim Tebow does not own the right to messages on eye black, nor should he. Perhaps if he is a serious Christian he would heed that Matthew passage up thread at r26. He would keep his beliefs to himself during his professional football moments and use his own personal time to proselytize.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

It is interesting that r32 isn't tired of Tebow who is among the over exposed particularly to us sports fans.

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

CBS = Christian Broadcasting Service

Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

[quote] But WTF has Tim Tebow done to catch such hate?

He appeared as a spokesman for Focus on the Family. That's where the line gets crossed from being eye-rollingly annoying to downright offensive.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

The good 'ol "gay agenda." The right-wing never tires of carting out the same empty rhetoric.

How the hell is wearing those black marks on one's face promoting the "gay agenda?"

Besides, the expression should be "gay issues of equality" not the "gay agenda." However, wearing black marks on one's face isn't even remotely about anything gay.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

[quote]NPH has become such a fame whore.

But you right wing fraus have no problem with the biggest fame and bible whore of all times...Miss Tebow.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

[quote]I find you increasingly more tiresome

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

Wrong R20. We hate ALL religidiots.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2013

Perhaps this NPH's shout out TO Tim Tebow...

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2013

What is it about religious freaks that makes them so sensitive? So thin skinned? Why are they such a bunch of pussies?

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2013

Maybe they think Jesus likes pussies.

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2013

I don't understand why putting a message in eye black is now absolutely a reference to Tim Tebow. Others have worn messages in their eye black before, and others will again. Over-reaction?

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2013

The morally outraged Christians, standing up for what's right.

p.s. Jesus would puke in your lap at your bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2013

He wants SO bad to be the butch every-guy. He's living out the life of his TV character. Which, I guess, is fine by me. It's just his smarmy, self adoring, aren't-I-just-too-adorable schtick I'm over.

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2013

Isn't Tim's whole claim to fame, other than being a virgin, is that his mother almost aborted him and then she changed her mind? Or am I thinking of someone else?

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2013

how about someone post a link to the ad.

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2013

It's insane that the homophobia promoted by these morons (and yes, claiming the ad is promoting the "homosexual agenda" just because they used NPH is homophobic) is actually supported by a few assholes here only because they're still hard for that useless football player, Tebow. Sometimes this site seems more homophobic than non-gay sites.

NPH's ad has nothing to do with Christianity or with Tebow, it's advertising the date of the game. These asswipes had no problems with Beyonce doing the same thing and they didn't comment about anyone else with writing in their eyeblack. Tebow didn't invent eyeblack writing and he doesn't own the concept.

by Anonymousreply 5101/08/2013

R49 True, however closer examination of the details of this story have left some people to conclude it is not really true and more of an exaggeration.

by Anonymousreply 5201/08/2013

Olympic athletes face sanctions if they do anything to air their political/religious views during the games. I wonder why they don't have the same rule for American Football.

by Anonymousreply 5301/08/2013

[quote]But WTF has Tim Tebow done to catch such hate?

R32 sounds like one of the DL Hate Trolls. They are unable to comprehend that dislike is nowhere close to hate but they paste the "hate" label on any opinion that doesn't agree with their own thinking.

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2013

It's a figure of speech, R54. Like saying that you "love" ice cream, even though your "love" for your pet & your mother & your boyfriend/girlfriend & any god you may worship are probably all different feelings despite sharing the same name.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013

The ad will be pulled.

by Anonymousreply 5601/08/2013

I don't have a problem with Tim Tebow being religious if he doesn't hurt anyone else and if he is being true to himself.

I suspect he is a closet case, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2013

The moment Tim Tebow used Christianity to compensate for his latent homosexuality and being under his mom's thumb his public Christian family value performances are sad and fake. And this is suspected to be the case from the start.

Some may claim that pointing this out means 'hating on him', but others are just fed up with other people trying to fool them when the truth is so obvious right in front of them.

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 6007/11/2014

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2014

Damn Homophobic public.

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!