Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm starting to get into country music.

I've never been attached to a particular kind of music but country music is starting to appeal to me.

I'm really into Emmylou Harris right now.

by Anonymousreply 15509/03/2013

Her "Wrecking Ball" album is great.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

Shelby Lynne. After all these years I'm still obsessed by this video.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

I love early Linda Ronstadt, Rosanne Cash, Dolly, the Judds, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, just too many.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

Not a country fan per se, but I like Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Sugarland.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

for a blow job I'll send you some cds

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

Lucinda Williams.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

Emmylou Harris' "Elite Hotel" album is her very best along with Wrecking Ball.

Love Patty Loveless, Dolly, Linda, Lucinda, Don Williams, Johnny Cash, Roseanne Cash, and yes Loretta Lynn.

Shelby Lynne is another favourite and don't forget Trisha Yearwood.

The trio albums (they made two) by Linda Rondstadt, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton are beautiful blends of their three voices and styles. Country, bluegrass, folk/rock and traditional.

"After the Gold Rush"

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

My heart will always belong to Tammy, Loretta and Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

"The Wheels of Love" by Emmylou keeps playing in my head.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

Lyle Lovett

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

another classic Emmylou, channeling Les Paul...

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

Bobbie Gentry - in addition to "Ode to Billie Joe" and "Fancy," I love her covers of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and "Raindrops Falling On My Head." Her cover of the former is better than Dionne Warwick's.

Kenny Rogers - I think I love every song he's sung

Kitty Wells, Tanya Tucker, Terri Gibbs, Dixie Chicks, Conrad Twitty, Barbara Mandrell, too many to name.

What's not to love about classic country music? Is Taylor Swift considered country? It would be like calling MTV a music network.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

are you calling me a pervert? I don't even like Taylor Swift the person or her music, hence the jab about whether she's country. I don't like country music today. I just like the classic from the '60s, '70s and '80s.

by Anonymousreply 1601/08/2013

Dwight Yoakam and Willie Nelson as well

by Anonymousreply 1701/08/2013

Any who doesn't like Taylor Swift, can not be all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 1901/08/2013

Hal Ketchum has one of the most beautiful voices in country music. Sad he has MS now.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2013

Country music comforts me....it's very pleasing to hear when I'm getting bashed by rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

Steve Earle!

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

Old school country is soulful, rebellious music made for and appreciated by damaged people. That's why I love it. Today's country (since roughly 1990) is corporate sponsored, overproduced, jingoistic garbage that panders to the lowest common denominator.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

I feel cold and i'm ill!

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

I don't care for "country" music at all. However, I am fond of Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstsdt - former seems more "folk" to me, and the latter in the "pop" category.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

I think there are a couple of people working in Country Music today who are genuinely disgusted with and disagree with the whole anti-gay Republican Americana theme.

But they do so little to change things. Maybe that is the only way they can survive. I remember when k d Lang was banned from Country Music radio even the Dixie Chicks were banned for just voicing their opinion on GW Bush. NRA central too.

Scary, scary world. It think all of this scares a lot of genuine and original talent away from entering Country Music and making it better. So we are left with Taylor Swift and John Rich.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

Just discovered First Aid Kit. Check out their song Emmylou.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

Richard Buckner's gorgeous song, 4am

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

First Aid Kit - Emmylou

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

Love Emmylou. I've noticed that some of the younger acts doing stuff that resembles traditional country (not the commercialized stuff) are more likely to be found under Americana and Folk...my alltime fave is Nanci Griffith. Just recently, I've started listening to Tift Merritt (and if THAT's not a country name, I don't know what is!)

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

Lesbian here who loves country music - some classic, plenty of 90's and yes modern country. It's an interesting scene at a Terri Clark concert. about 1/3 older lesbians and the rest straight couples or females.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

I got into country, particularly alt-country about 5 years ago without even noticing. Most indie bands are flat out alt-country bands now, and one day my friends said, "Dude why are you listen to Country?"

Now it's pretty much all I listen to.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

er, r29, American country music has been one of the most influential genres of music in the world. From its influences on Elvis Presley (one of the best-selling musicians of all time) to acts as diverse as Tina Turner, Ray Charles and the Rolling Stones (all of whom recorded country tracks and even albums), its influence on the world's most successful musicians is pretty plain. And interest in American country music is accelerating, not diminishing.

I don't know what you have up your butt. No one is saying you have to like it, but pretending it's not influential or that the entire genre is the same as the polka is some queeny delusional bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

I know "country" music often skews right-wing and narrow. However, as corny as I think he is I give Brad Paisley big props for his new song that includes the line "I can't see this world unless I go outside my southern comfort zone". I see this song as a plea for country fans to be more open minded. Whether it's a "good" song or not I haven't decided but it gets a lot of air play where I live.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

I also had a chance to see Elizabeth Cook last year, performing with Guy Clark and Nanci Griffith. She's old-school country, like Loretta.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

Kathleen Edwards is the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2013

Neko Case, her voice makes me swoon, Look For Me I'll Be Around.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2013

OP, It's all about Patsy Cline.

Even people who hate country music, love her.

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2013

Check out "Van Lear Rose" by Loretta Lynn

Produced by Jack White of the White Stripes.

At age 72, living legend Loretta Lynn put out the most acclaimed album of her career. Made everyone's best list.

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2013

Allison Moorer (Shelby Lynne's sister)

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2013

I will give you that r45, I do like some of Patsy Cline's stuff, but she was on the pop charts too. Who sang "Son, Don't Go Near the Indians", was it Sheb Wooley? Also Wolverton Mountain, I recall that silly song from the early 60s--we kids used to sing along to make fun of it but I can't recall who did it. Frank Ifield re-did the song "I Remember You" sort of countrifying it which was OK but he was Australian I think. So I suppose there are rare exceptions, but usually for me country "music" is something I can't stand listening to. I guess part of it is the whiney "quality" it has.

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2013

R39, American Country Music has been one of the biggest influences on Americas music. The rest of the worlds music - not even close.

American Country is collapsing because they are shutting the rest of the world, other nationalities, minorities like gays and people of color, out. The 7 billion people of the world DO NOT want to be American Cowboys. However many older Republican voters in the USA still do.

EDM is what the world is moving to today. Even "Twit Swift" said she was going to get into Dubstep (a type of EDM for those Nashville blinded)

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2013

Laura Cantrell is fucking awesome!

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2013

[quote] You know how big the Polka music market is today right?

That depends. It's pretty big in the suburban Wisconsin Friday night Lenten fish fry market. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an accordion in one of those places.

by Anonymousreply 5101/08/2013

I always liked country even as a kid. Yeah, I learned a lot from Hee Haw, of all places. Johnny Cash had a summer replacement show in the 70's and while he had artists from different genres he had lots of Country acts as wall. I drifted away from it and listened to rock, pop, r&b, etc my entire life but I always drift back to country. I've been an avid listener for about 10 yrs now. I like all of it....the pop stuff, bluegrass and I even like Taylor Swift. I'll probably never buy her music but I appreciate what she is and who her audience is. But I've lately realized that what I really love is the nore trad based stuff like Emmylou, Steve Earle, Marty Stuart and Dwight Yokam to name a few. I highly recommend Dwight's "This Time". The best song writer in the genre. Lyle Lovett, too. From the "Pop" field I would say my fave is Dierks Bentley. He is well steeped in the history of Country and he expertly straddles the line. He is gorgeous and has great curly light brown hair. His "Up On the Ridge" is his attempt at more blugerass/Americana and it's my favorite of his.

One thing that's interesting is just how closely country/blues/rock n roll are connected. I've always known that (country is the white man's blues, they say) but I listened to a cd of Roy Orbison playing live and it's a revelation. Totally rocks and totally feels the blues.

by Anonymousreply 5201/08/2013

R47...and Steve Earle's wife.

by Anonymousreply 5301/08/2013

It is really hard for any LGBT person to like Country Music, when you damn well know they don't want your kind attending their concerts.

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2013

I would venture to say that most acts don't give a rat's tail if anyone is gay. But The Dixie Chicks "scandal" proved to them that they just can't talk about any kind of political/social issues. And I do think this applies to the Top 40 country market and not the acts that don't chart much.

It's sad that these folks don't feel like they can talk about issues/views. If you believe Kenny Chesney is gay, then it's for sure that he will *never* talk about that or anything else. The guy was a marketing major.. no way will he kill the goose.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013

Since there are country music fans here, can anyone help me identify a country-pop song?

I Heard it on country radio 2 times the first week of May 1999, so it must have been a minor hit.

A guy with some backing harmony vocals, singing sweetly about winning back his love, whom he had done wrong. Promised that if he ever had the chance he would make it right and prove his love.

I know it sounds like every song ever made, but it means a great deal to me since it mirrored what was going on in my life at the time.

I was traveling (in North Carolina) and not a country music person so at the time I did not know how to find out who this was. Looking back of course I should have called the radio station.

Since then I have searched and searched online for this song to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to find out what this song is? I know it is not much to go on, but perhaps enough to start?

Thank you. I will owe (and pay up) to whomever can help me locate it.

by Anonymousreply 5601/08/2013

R55 didn't get it quite right.

It is not OK to talk about being a Non-Republican in Country Music.

Almost all of them are public supporters of the Republican Party, including Kenney Chesney. Reba McEntire even traveled the campaign trail on George W Bushs Tour bus.

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2013

I am Canadian and from Italy and we don't care about your politics when it comes to music.

American democrats are conservative in many other countries. There are people in the arts that I cannot support, but very few and never because of a simple affiliation with a political party.

There are so many great suggestions out here for the OP, and lots of radical thinking don't tell me who to like people. That is the "american" way too, non?

I am a musician and yes it is true that American is for sure the origin of country and bluegrass music, and the primary home of jazz. A lot to be proud of right there, folks.

Bad Pop is everywhere now, but most of the artists mentioned out here fall into to either old school greats, multi-dimemsional musicians, or alt/country favourites. Who cares about their politics. And if they are too egregious boycott an artist or a radio station, but not a great genre of music.

The Band Perry is promising for some traditional nuances and fresh sounds, but I do agree that most of the country music of the last fifteen years is very bad rock/pop with gimmicky lyrics and bland characters, afraid to alienate the fan base and yet not great enough to transcend them. Taylor Swift is the exception, but in reality she is a pop singer.

Country music dumper KD lang and the Dixie Chicks and Shania Twain all for different reasons, but Loretta and Dolly love and support them all personally as I sure do many others. Music is a business, but artists must be viewed and listened to as individuals.

So many fantastic suggestions for the OP. If you must know everyone's political party (you only have two right wing ones) before listening to their music, then you are not a music lover.

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2013

*dumped*

"If I Die Young" by the Band Perry.

They are pretty and young and talented and traditional and yet slightly subversive.

by Anonymousreply 5901/08/2013

I can't believe that almost all of the recommendations given are ancient. There's hardly any contemporary country listed. That's like someone asking what's some good pop music I should listen to, and telling him about Herman's Hermits and Blood Sweat and Tears. There's nothing wrong with those bands, but they're not where music is at now, and I think that's what the OP was looking for.

I used to love country music, but as others have mentioned, it's become corporate, soulless, dishonest, and corporate. Some acts are still worth listening to, but they're few and far between. I hate to admit it, but I am a fan of Taylor Swift. She doesn't have a great voice and I question her production choices, but her songs sound as thought someone has really lived them. They seem honest. Kenny Chesney has some awful songs on his cds that are geared towards singles, but he has a depth to him that is surprising and evident on track cuts. Same with Tim McGraw. The Band Perry is also good. Also check out Rose Falcon. She's new, and is great.

by Anonymousreply 6001/08/2013

I grew up listening to country because my father played it in the car and the house and I hated it. I grew to appreciate as I got older. I think many of the songs are easy to relate to now as opposed to hip hop and a lot of today's music.

by Anonymousreply 6101/08/2013

R42 - totally agree about Kathleen Edwards. She is awesome. I first heard her song Hockey Skates on the CBC.. It's a shame she is pretty much unknown in the US. She's playing City Winery in NYC on Jan 31st.

by Anonymousreply 6201/08/2013

I'd like to "get into" several country music stars, including Jimi Westbrook, Keith Anderson, Billy Currington, Joe Nichols, Rodney Atkins, Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan...

by Anonymousreply 6301/08/2013

HA! I can't believe someone on here knows who Jimi Westbrook is. I live in Nashville and know him. Not well, mind you, but well enough that he knows my name and we'd chat for a bit if we ran into each other. He is an incredibly nice guy, and SO FUCKING SEXY I CAN'T STAND IT. He is totally straight, I assume; I get no vibe from him at all. I also know Keith Anderson. Also a nice guy. Also straight. He hangs out with the "cool guys." He has an awesome body, and I assume he juices.

by Anonymousreply 6401/08/2013

BTW, I also know Luke Bryan. I've actually written a few songs with him. He's a very very sweet guy. He's totally straight. He's better looking in person; tall and lanky. He's also not the frat boy his image projects him to be. He's a quiet, thoughtful guy.

by Anonymousreply 6501/08/2013

I grew up in Philly, so I didn't become a fan until I was an adult.

I started by listening to traditional. These are the best ever: Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris

Popular acts that are actually good: Brad Paisley, Band Perry, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church and Dierks Bentley

Lucinda Williams, Hag and Willie Nelson are probably the most rewarding country artists (actual geniuses). Willie is still an excellent concert because of his improvised guitar playing.

by Anonymousreply 6601/08/2013

OP if you like Emmylou, check out Allyson Krauss. Amazing voice.

by Anonymousreply 6701/08/2013

Awesome info R64/R65! I LOVE Jimi's band Little Big Town's music. Glad they're finally getting the props they deserve. And yes, he is BEYOND hot. Karen is lucky to call him her husband.

As for Keith Anderson, I've rarely seen another man with as great a bulge as he has. And the thick thighs are just so hot. Also the arms, legs, ass...His wife is another lucky one.

Luke totally comes across as the partying, drinking frat boy on stage, so it's cool to know that he's the opposite offstage. He also has killer thighs and they look good in skintight jeans. He has a great smile too.

by Anonymousreply 6801/08/2013

[quote]American Country is collapsing because they are shutting the rest of the world, other nationalities, minorities like gays and people of color, out. The 7 billion people of the world DO NOT want to be American Cowboys.

It's a style of music, not a building which can shut people out, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6901/08/2013

r60 knows NOTHING!

by Anonymousreply 7001/08/2013

I grew up in an area where country music was virtually everywhere. Most of the kids I went to school with listened to it. I could deal with Hank Williams or some Johnny Cash, but for the most part it never grew on me. I've always considered myself to be pretty open-minded musically (I love classical music, hard rock, classic rock, metal, industrial, alternative rock, grunge, funk, R&B, disco, etc.), but country is one of those few genres (along with hip-hop/rap and showtunes) that I just can't fathom.

by Anonymousreply 7101/08/2013

Today's country male singers like Dierks Bentley, Jake Owen, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Eric Church, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Chris Young unfortunately CAN'T SING!

They all "talk sing" their song! THEY ALL SUCK!

And this bullshit trend of "farmer boy" singers is CRAP! FUCK John Deere!

by Anonymousreply 7201/08/2013

Check out Delta Swamp Rock (there are two volumes) on Soul Jazz Records, and Country Funk on Light In The Attic Records, two recently released country music compilations that showcase some brilliant, timeless music.

by Anonymousreply 7301/08/2013

Tift Merritt is fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 7401/08/2013

The Civil Wars

by Anonymousreply 7501/08/2013

I love Kathleen Edwards,R42 and R62, but is he country?

by Anonymousreply 7601/08/2013

I mean she

by Anonymousreply 7701/08/2013

[quote]I can't believe that almost all of the recommendations given are ancient. There's hardly any contemporary country listed.

Contemporary artists mentioned in this thread: Shelby Lynne, Sugarland, Lucinda Williams, Taylor Swift, Hal Ketchum, First Aid Kit, Richard Buckner, Neko Case, Tift Merritt, Brad Paisley, Elizabeth Cook, Kathleen Edwards, Neko Case, Allison Moorer, Laura Cantrell, Dierks Bentley, the Band Perry.

And, of course, many of the older artists mentioned -- Emmylou, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett and Roseanne Cash -- still actively record and tour.

by Anonymousreply 7801/08/2013

R46, one of my favorite songs is off that album. "Mrs. Leroy Brown". Didn't see the Loretta Lynn version on youtube to link but it's an awesome fun song.

by Anonymousreply 7901/08/2013

There are many country acts that are left wing rebels or more hippy-like just not in mainstream Nashville. I love tons of country and bluegrass acts and for the most part the ones I love are left wing. Starting back when Cash, Willie Nelson, Kristofferson, Jennings migrated away from Nashville.

I hate almost every big Country act of the last 20 years, half because of the Christian right wing association and half because it's soulless.

If you've ever been to Telluride's bluegrass festival, the crowd is mostly new and old hippies and the bands are Mumford and Sons-like. They got lucky, there are a hundred bands out there just like them that have been around forever. They even admit to it. The Austin scene is pretty liberal too.

I saw some love here for Willie and Emmylou so here is something beautiful they did together. His guitar playing and voice just seep into my soul and make me calm.

And jesus I had to sit through some horrible new "country" guy add before it would play. But it's worth it, the song and Emmylou are stunningly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 8101/08/2013

R75, Poison and Wine is really beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 8201/08/2013

What r80 says: [quote]Country Music is just American propaganda put into song. The American equivalent to the Nazi war songs of WW2.

What we hear: Hissssssssssssssssssss!

by Anonymousreply 8301/08/2013

Kip Moore has a great ass.

by Anonymousreply 8401/08/2013

[quote]I love Kathleen Edwards,[R42] and [R62], but is he country?

Alternative Country

by Anonymousreply 8501/08/2013

I listen to both alternative and popular country (if you have Sirius, The Highway and Outlaw Country). I think you need to understand that there are two poles in country--Nashville and Austin, TX. If you understand that, you can see how what Willie and Waylon did (and Leon Russell and Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle and James McMurtry and Alejandro Escovedo) fits into the big picture.

Also, I see a lot of love for Elizabeth Cook. I love her show on Outlaw Country. She's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 8601/08/2013

The Cristian Right controls Country Music.

No homos allowed.

by Anonymousreply 8701/08/2013

Isn't it time for your enema, R87?

by Anonymousreply 8801/08/2013

Thanks for those who mentioned Kathleen Edwards. I checked her out, and she's great. And, yes, she would be considered country. She's a bit like a late 90's throwback, when there was some really great commercial country recorded. That, I think, was the last great period for country music, when commercial country embraced acts like Roseanne Cash, Suzzy Boggus, Kathy Mattea, Nanci Griffith, Foster and Lloyd, Mary Chapin Carpenter, et al.

by Anonymousreply 9001/09/2013

One of Edwards best songs.

by Anonymousreply 9101/09/2013

I don't know about it being a great ass, r84, but it's ok--it would do "in a pinch"; I wouldn't mind taking a ping pong paddle to that ass then exploring it with my cock, but I think alot of it is the tight pants.

by Anonymousreply 9201/09/2013

Country music has always been great for bears.

Never heard a lick of Lee Brice's music, but I'd lick him from head to toe.

by Anonymousreply 9301/09/2013

Also, Chris Cagle.

by Anonymousreply 9401/09/2013

Yeah, r93, but if he misbehaved would you give him a lickin' 'til he couldn't set down fer a week?!

by Anonymousreply 9501/09/2013

Lee Brice is hot.

by Anonymousreply 9601/09/2013

Dolly Parton is having a revival in the indie scene, sorta like Hank Williams & Johnny Cash. Jolene is just awesome, and so many of my friends have this song on their Ipod. I think it is perhaps one of the greatest American songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 9701/09/2013

Dolly is fantastic! Despite how superficial and plastic she looks, her songs mostly have an incredible amount of heart and depth to them. It's sometimes hard to reconcile her image with her talent, but she has a great degree of talent. I spent the day with her once, in Nashville, when I was a PA on a documentary. She was great. She's VERY VERY funny and much bawdier than you'd guess. I loved spending the day with her.

by Anonymousreply 9801/09/2013

The amount of Jolene cover versions by indie artists is huge, that and Wicked Game. You can't walk trough Williamsburg without hearing it pour outta some window. I hope people are respecting the song and not listening to it because it's trendy right now.

by Anonymousreply 9901/09/2013

The lyrics to Roseanne Cash's "Seven Year Ache" are some of the best, but that was decades ago. Why didn't she do more?

"Splitting your dice to be someone you're not You say you're looking for something you might've forgot Don't bother calling to say you're leaving alone Cause there's a fool on every corner when you're trying to get home"

by Anonymousreply 10001/09/2013

Yikes! We have a name dropping queen amongst us. So dull.

by Anonymousreply 10101/09/2013

Dolly is a great musician in every way- writer- singer- instrumentalist.

This is one of my favorites- it took real balls to cover this!

by Anonymousreply 10201/09/2013

are you in your mid-to-late 30s, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10301/09/2013

Oh, it's a great ass, R92. Check it out in the beginning of this video...

by Anonymousreply 10501/09/2013

Chris Young is one of those hunky country bears. Boy is hot, and has a nice big butt on him too. Someone in another thread mentioned he may be gay. Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 10601/09/2013

The "Big Eden" soundtrack is killer, with two of my favorite country songs, "Optimistic" by Skeeter Davis and "Wishes" by Lari White....

Patsy Cline

Dolly Pardon

Vince Gill

Alison Krauss

Anything that touches my soul

by Anonymousreply 10701/09/2013

Kim Richey is one of my favorite country singer/songwriters. "A Place Called Home" is a beautiful, heartbreaking tune.

by Anonymousreply 10801/09/2013

This is almost 20 years old, but it was a great country duet. It even (deservedly) hit the Billboard Top Ten.

by Anonymousreply 10901/09/2013

Alison Krauss with Union Station fan, here.

by Anonymousreply 11001/09/2013

Emmylou is my favorite. I have everything she's ever recorded. Her voice is so beautiful. Soulful and haunting. I agree that "Wrecking Ball" is probably her best. Another of my favorites is "Thirteen". And my favorite song is "Michaelangelo" from "Red Dirt Girl", another favorite CD.

by Anonymousreply 11101/09/2013

R33 / R35, yes, I'm loving First Aid Kit right now and especially the song "Emmylou"

by Anonymousreply 11201/10/2013

First Aid Kit are very good and too cool and foreign to make it in American Country music. But they show how country music is still a true sound for great harmonizers and story tellers, and they are not being ironic. I love them.

They are Swedish girls, singing in some kind of Celtic style, and they love country music.

I will post "The Lions Roar"

(Dolly Parton has the clearest sweetest most pure Sorprano voice around. I don't love all her music, and she can talk-sing too much, but she should never be thought of as less than a great singer songwriter in any genre)

by Anonymousreply 11301/10/2013

First Aid Kit

The Lions Roar

by Anonymousreply 11401/10/2013

Alt-country/Americana/neo-folk ... whatever you want to call it, it's huge among indie-rock fans.

by Anonymousreply 11501/12/2013

I agree r115, pretty much every decent US indie band has strong hints and sounds of Americana in their music.

Half of them are straight up alt-country acts like Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter, Lambchop, Wilco, Field Report, Will Oldham or Neko Case.

by Anonymousreply 11601/12/2013

"Harper Valley PTA" by Jeannie C Riley always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 11701/12/2013

Country Music is Republican Music.

by Anonymousreply 11801/12/2013

R118's knowledge of pop culture ended in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 11901/12/2013

R113, I've always loved Celtic music somewhat. It's definitely the perfect blend between Celtic and country.

by Anonymousreply 12001/13/2013

R42, R62, love Kathleen Edwards!

by Anonymousreply 12101/13/2013

Gillian Welch is a national tresure.

by Anonymousreply 12201/13/2013

treasure

by Anonymousreply 12301/13/2013

It's hard to separate alt-county and indie now, they seem pretty intertwined.

Heidi Spencer & The Rare Birds' album Under the Streetlight Glow, was an absolutely gorgeous alt-country indie record.

by Anonymousreply 12401/14/2013

Blue Light Room, by one of my all time favorite artist, Tara Jane O'Neil, plus she is out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 12501/14/2013

Thanks r124

I loved Heidi Spencer and the Rare Birds song. I had never heard of them before.

Sometimes DL is sweet.

by Anonymousreply 12601/14/2013

I was going to suggest First Aid Kit. But thought they weren't exactly country. But here's one of their live performances. Check out the audience. It looks like 1972.

by Anonymousreply 12701/14/2013

You should also check out the Secret Sisters. They are a modern edge on Patsy Cline. They're fucking incredible.

by Anonymousreply 12801/14/2013

Awesome song @ r124.

by Anonymousreply 12901/15/2013

One of America's most under appreciated artists, the brilliant Paula Frazer.

by Anonymousreply 13001/15/2013

Colt Prather--anyone know anything about this hunk?

by Anonymousreply 13101/23/2013

R130, I love her! And, obviously, Tarnation.

by Anonymousreply 13201/23/2013

No inside gossip on Colt?

by Anonymousreply 13301/24/2013

I recommend listening to Steve Earle, Todd Snider, Ryan Bingham, and Hayes Carll.

These artists are liberal country artists.

by Anonymousreply 13401/28/2013

Just listened to Heidi Spencer and the Rare Birds posted by R124. That really is some sweet stuff. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 13505/25/2013

Does Mary Chapin Carpenter still record? She made a couple of great albums during the 1990s

by Anonymousreply 13605/25/2013

What happened with The Civil Wars? The new song is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 13707/25/2013

Loving Aoife O'Donovan's debut album Fossils

by Anonymousreply 13808/17/2013

I'm a little bit cunty

I'm a little bit rocket roll

I'm a little bit cunty

With a little bit of Bieber in my soul

Don't know whether it's bad or good

But I know I loves it so

I'm a little bit cunty

I'm a little bit rocket roll

by Anonymousreply 13908/17/2013

R138 I agree fantastic record

by Anonymousreply 14008/17/2013

A friend told be to try listening to Ashley Monroe's Like a Rose, loved it but sadly that repug twat Blake Shelton shows up for the last rack which put a real dampner on things.

by Anonymousreply 14108/17/2013

I am not American so forgive my ignorance but to me country and folk seem almost identical. What separates them is the lyrics, rather than style. And of course folk is usually associated with the left, and country with conservatives. But to me a lot of both sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 14208/17/2013

I think Folk is usually just the term for music of the indigenous people, like Celtic folk music or Easter European folk music. Probably the truest American Folk music would be anything that is more Indian (native Americans) sounding.

by Anonymousreply 14308/17/2013

Ryan Bingham is fantastic and easy on the eyes. Ryan Adams as well...he's hit or miss, with a lot of bland crap, but when he's good, he's really good.

by Anonymousreply 14408/17/2013

I love Emmylou, but country stations don't play her very much. She and Linda R. are Americana, not the pre-fab Nashville shit that gets airplay.

by Anonymousreply 14508/17/2013

Really dig Amy LaVere, Stranger Me, is probably the album I have listened to the most over the last year.

by Anonymousreply 14608/17/2013

IL could hardly contain my enthusiasm for country music yesterday, after watching Like Bryan shake his big round ass on the Today Show plaza.

Hee fucking Haw, hot damn

by Anonymousreply 14708/17/2013

That's a beautiful song R146.

by Anonymousreply 14808/17/2013

I love that tortured twang in Americana music.

by Anonymousreply 14908/17/2013

Pistol Annies

by Anonymousreply 15008/17/2013

Some really awesome recommendations of this thread, turned me on to some really good artists.

by Anonymousreply 15108/18/2013

Laura Cantrell is wonderful, try "Humming By The Flowered Vine"

by Anonymousreply 15208/18/2013

I can't believe how many indie kids are getting in country, especially alt-county. I think right now it's all I listen to, it seems to be the best music being made right now.

I just listened to When The Roses Bloom Again by Laura Cantrell, who I have never heard of, but it proves it all; it sounds more inide than indie music.

by Anonymousreply 15308/18/2013

Neko Case's new album is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 15409/03/2013

Sarah Jarosz - Run Away, such a cool song.

by Anonymousreply 15509/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.