Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Truly talented actors

Many actors are said to be talented, "era-defining" etc... [insert pompous, grandiose epithets]. So...can we all agree on one actor that is truly talented and that truly deserve to the adjective talent. I honestly think that only two guys deserve the term talented and that's Heath Ledger and Matt Damon. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013

Lol@ op's choices. Damon?!

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

Mamie Gummer

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

Watch more movies, OP.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

The names you are looking for are guys like Daniel Day Lewis and Phillip Seymor Hoffman.

I will give you that Heath Ledger showed great talent in his career.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Brendan Gleeson

Chris Cooper

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Ryan Gosling are the two young A Listers than spring to mind.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

Y'all are gonna' laugh, but you know who impresses me on tv? Ryan Kwanten from True Blood. I had absolutely no idea that he was Australian. His accent is spot on . . . now that's not to say he has the acting chops of Meryl Streep, but he can sure pull off an accent, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

For longevity of career and a couple of genre-defining roles, I'd go with Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

Christian Bale, seriously. He was cursed with perfect looks and a dislikable personality, a combination that ruins the chance to be thought of as truly talented. He's a truly talented actor and I say that as someone who dislikes him. Christian Bale is an era-defining actor.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

Toni Collette, Frances McDormand, Robert DeNiro.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

Joshua Morrow

Grant Goodeve

Anson Williams

Mariska Hargitay

Eve Plumb

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

Agree with Daniel Day Lewis. And Christian Bale can be terrific. I will add Jim Broadbent, Ian McKellan, Samuel L. Jackson, Denzel Washington. I have to leave off Johnny Depp because he's become a caricature.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

It's impossible to agree, really. Ideas of desirable acting have varied, and no one transcends all genres and characters with his or her talent (at least not anyone famous).

It can also be hard to tell in film and some TV, thanks to casting, directing, and editing.

We're left with subjectivity, and this is going to become another "favorite actors" thread.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

Joaquin Phoenix. Russell Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Christian Bale

Josh Brolin

Javier Bardem

Ryan Gosling

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

I want to thank you all for sparing me the embarrassment of yet another accolade.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are my choices also. I can watch anything these two do.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

Best out there now who have shown range are (that is, they have not been typecast like Bale) .... Robert Downey, Jr, Sean Penn, Daniel Day Lewis, Benicio Del Toro.

Old timers like De Niro, Nicholson, and Pacino are way past their prime. Pacino in Godfather 2, Dog Day Afternoon or Scarface - he was incredible. Now, he has become the character he played in Scent of a Woman. So sad. De Niro... ruined his career with the Focker movies. Jack is just a mess, can't carry a film anymore.

Honorable mention to Clooney, he's made some good shit, like Damon (and his fabulous butt).

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

Megan Cavanagh, whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

Agree with r8. Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

Bill Murray. I don't get the lve for Clint Eastwood. He always plays the same character--hardened tough guy.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

Johnny Depp, 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

Matt Damon? Bullshit.

My picks:

Daniel Day Lewis

Judi Dench

Meryl Streep

Rachel McAdams

Ryan Gosling

Jamie Foxx (seriously)

Julianne Moore (SERIOUSLY)

Ed Harris

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2013

Christian Bale, Daniel day Lewis is fucking amazzzing. Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2013

For the "younger" guys:

Joaquin Phoenix

Ryan Gosling

Leonardo DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2013

Mariska Hargitay????

Are you smoking crack??

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2013

Emma Thompson

Alan Rickman

Maggie Smith

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

Matt Damon is really just sufficient, not great. He's never bad, but he never hits a home run.

Ryan Gosling is the first man who comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

In addition to the already mentioned Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Robert Downey Jr and Russell Crowe, I would add David Straitharne (sp?).

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

I don't disagree with the younger guys mentioned but I will throw out that Joseph Gordon Levitt should be in there with him.

He has been terrific in an impressive range of roles already. Definitely a legitimate talent.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

Working now? I love some of the young Brits - Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. Matthew Goode. Eddie Redmayne. Talented and charismatic.

For women - Jessica Chastain, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Judy Davis. All amazing, stronger than most.

Some of the hot younger American film actors now are tofu to me - Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. Meh. All seem too emo and want to be famous. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has real actor potential. Same with Leo.

Older men - Daniel Day-Lewis and Sean Penn. Both truly talented. Sean Penn is in danger of becoming a DeNiro or Hoffman due to arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

Tilda Swinton Fassbender ddLewis

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

I like R5's choices.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

meryl streep,charlize theron and javier bardem

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

John Malkovitch, William H Macy

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

Great actors show consistency in great performances. There are not that many IMHO. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, RDJ (he needs to get involved in some serious acting every now and then though, those stupid Sherlock movies are bad for his reputation as a respectable actor - I like him in the Iron Man movies though) Viola Davis, John Goodman, Bill Murray, Jacki Weaver, Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Pearce, Sam Rockwell, Toni Collette - all great actors. Ryan Gosling is not nearly as good as he wishes audiences to believe. I am also doubtful regarding Fassbender, Levit and Jennifer Lawrence. As they say, don't believe the hype.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

I'll probably get hissed at for saying it but Andrew Garfield. Not so much for Spiderman but The Social Network, Never Let Me Go and especially the work he did in British TV/Theatre before like Boy A, Red Riding, Beautiful Thing, Sugar Rush.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

Jessica Chastain, Kate Winslet, William H Macey and I also like Paul Dano a lot, he was just as great as DDL in There Will Be Blood, but unfortunately hardly anybody mentioned him. I would like to add those names to R36. Most A-lister are terribly untalented strangely

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Most of R36's choices are 45 years or older, and none of them are under 40. Shocking.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

R37 Andrew Garfield was great in Never Let Me Go, as was Carey Mulligan (she was way more interesting than Fassbender in Shame and she was great in Drive too. Carey and Michelle Williams are both great

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

R39, well acting is also a craft you just have to learn. And that just takes time.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. Both can do hilarious comedies or the darkest drama, romantic leads, scene-stealing cameos, and everything in between.

I agree that the real "talents" are not the big stars, but the character actors who work forever.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2013

R37 I agree he is something special.

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2013

There is a hierarchy of talent.

Premier league: Meryl Streep (peerless).

Second league: Vannesa Redgrave, Isabelle Huppert, Tilda Swinton, Glenn Close, Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench, Melissa Leo, Naomi Watts.

Third league: Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Emma Thompson, Rachel Weisz, Penelope Cruz, Charlize Theron, Angela Bassett, Joan Cusack, Adjani, Deneuve, Beart, Bonnaire, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, Cher, Debra Winger, Anjelica Huston, Sally Field, Diane Keaton, Dianne Wiest, Judy Davis, Viola Davis, Charlotte Rampling, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Toni Collette, Frances McDormand, Alfre Woodard, Jacki Weaver, Emily Watson, Kate Winslet, Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Carey Mulligan, Jennifer Lawrence.

Overrated: Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Jessica Chastain, Michelle Williams, Helena Bonham-Carter.

Beyond overrated: Nicole Kidman.

Who cares: Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Gwnyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2013

For male actors, the hierarchy is:

Premier league: Daniel Day-Lewis (peerless).

Second league: Ralph Fiennes, Michael Fassbender, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Penn, Javier Bardem, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Christoph Waltz, Forest Whitaker, Kevin Spacey.

Third league: everybody else.

Overrated: Ryan Gosling, Jake Gyllenhaal, Shia Labeouf, Robert Downey Jr., Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington (has played the same character for 30 years now).

Beyond overrated: Leonardo DiCaprio.

Formerly great, but now shit: Robert DeNiro, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino.

Who cares: Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2013

I forgot Kathy Bates, Susan Sarandon and Jodie Foster - they belong in the third league.

Liv Ullmann isn't working as an actress anymore, otherwise she'd be second league.

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2013

Oh, George Clooney and Brad Pitt are BEYOND OVERRATED as well.

Forgot about those two joke actors.

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2013

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Daniel Day Lewis

Aaron Taylor Johnson

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2013

Bryan Cranston

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2013

Haven't seen him mentioned but Jeffrey Wright deserves to be a part of this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2013

Streepie, I'm glad to know you have found your passion in life.

by Anonymousreply 5101/08/2013

Michael Shannon Thomas Sadowski

by Anonymousreply 5201/08/2013

Streep troll, P S Hoffman deserves promotion (from 'everyone else') to at least your second league.

Stage and screen after all, and DDL doesn't touch theatre these days. (I bet he went to see PSH in 'Salesman' though.)

by Anonymousreply 5301/08/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer deserves an honorable mention on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2013

Ewan McGregor - top of the list, imho. He's amazingly versatile, always committed, makes anything watchable

Ryan Gosling

Christian Bale

Joseph-Gordon Levitt

Somewhat older:

Russel Crowe

Joaquin Phoenix

Robert Downey, Jr

Benicio Del Toro

Daniel Day-Lewis

Sean Penn

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013

r53, I'm not sure about that.

PSH seems to play the same character over and over, albeit brilliantly.

The priest in Doubt is the same type of guy as the Master. Capote was a slightly camp variation of that same character type.

He's a one-trick pony.

All the actors in my second league are more versatile than PSH is, and DDL.... is FAR more talented than PSH can ever dream to be.

by Anonymousreply 5601/08/2013

Streep troll, I do think 'one-trick pony' is too harsh about PSH.

Freewheeling arrogant playboy in 'Ripley', homely intelligence wonk in 'Charlie Wilson', depressed son and teacher in 'Savages', tough political hack in 'Ides Of March.' And 'Capote' was at a far remove from 'The Master'! As for stage work, well being a Brit I missed PSH's Willy Loman, to my regret.

PSH works more than DDL, so maybe some character overlaps are more evident. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing 'Lincoln' as soon as it opens here.

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2013

Rating these actors is very subjective.

In the end, what matters to the studios is who has the most box office clout.

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2013

I agree that Clooney is hugely overrated. In fact, he's McBongo without the accent.

by Anonymousreply 5901/08/2013

Definitely there is a difference between truly talented actors and stars. To me, stars can light up the screen and have an appeal to the audience. A star's acting abilities are almost secondary. For example, Julia Roberts is an OK actress, but she lit up the screen in Pretty Woman, which made her a star. Clooney is a good actor but more of a star.

Truly talented actors? Well, Meryl Streep obviously. I agree with another poster that she is in a class by herself. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is truly talented, as is Daniel Day Lewis. Interesting that each has really shied away from trying to be a star. I also think Tom Hanks is a versatile actor.

by Anonymousreply 6001/09/2013

Aaron Paul! He's won two well-deserved Emmys for his work on Breaking Bad. He should have Gyllenhaal's level of fame (I was going to say "career", but on second thought...) And he's hot to death.

He should have been Jack Twist. /gavel down

by Anonymousreply 6101/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2013

It's actually hard to think of people THAT talented.

Frances McDormand - versatile, and I believe her. I haven't seen Jessica Chastain yet - hope she's all that. Nina Arianda (Broadway actress, also film) Bill Murray I hate Sean Penn with the fire of a thousand suns to where I can't see his films, but I've seen him enough in the past - especially in bad movies - where he was the best thing in it. He could have calcified into a personality at this point though - been too long.

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2013

John Hurt.

Willem Dafoe.

Ralph Fiennes.

by Anonymousreply 6401/09/2013

Jill Scott from her role in #1 Lady Detective.

by Anonymousreply 6501/09/2013

Yes, R65. She really surprised me in that role. I would really like to see more of her.

[quote]He should have been Jack Twist. /gavel down

I rolled my eyes when I read this a couple of days ago, but the more I think about it, the more I realize you're right. Aaron Paul's physical slightness would have made more visual and logical sense for that character. Jake Gyllenhaal, as hot as he was at that time, just didn't look like someone who grew up as rural Wyoming trash; he looked too contemporary, well-nourished, and urban.

Aaron Paul is small enough to be more convincing as a would-be horseman and rodeo star, pretty enough to be believable as an object of a closeted man's lust (and as a bottom), and talented enough (with that voice!) to handle the dramatic intensity of the role. So, good choice.

by Anonymousreply 6601/11/2013

[quote]he looked too contemporary, well-nourished, and urban.

Something tells me that "urban" here is code for Jewish. I'm not saying you're wrong, though.

by Anonymousreply 6701/11/2013

I think you're nuts,OP!

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!