Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Next Pandemic

Three questions, DLers: When will it happen? Where will it start? What will the symptoms be?

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3804/04/2013

Peruvian Pan Flutes

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 101/07/2013

1) 2014 2) Libya 3) coughing blood (death by pulmonary collapse), high fever, progressive arthritis

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 201/07/2013

Hendra Virus

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 301/07/2013

Bieber Fever

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 401/07/2013

This year.

East Asia.

Headache. Clamminess. People drop dead within a few days.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 501/07/2013

I live in East Asia and it is certainly ripe for a pandemic. Bad hygiene, overcrowded cities and terrible terrible misuse of antibotics. Also, even in this so-called developed 'hub' people are still eating the shitty parts of animals.

It is a matter of time.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 601/07/2013

Winter 2013

UK

Super Flu

It's hitting Chicago right now. We don't have the usual freezing temps and deep snow to keep people from spreading it while they're asymptomatic, so people are bringing into work with them.

"I don't have the flu; I have a cold" is the popular response.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 701/07/2013

G.W.Y.N.E.T.H.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 801/07/2013

^ Thank you, grandma!

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 901/07/2013

I think SARS really changed the attitudes of a lot of people in Hong Kong. When I went there more than 10 years ago, it was a very dirty and unhygienic place. This summer, I was shocked at how clean most places were. The handrails on the subway system get automatically disinfected every couple of minutes.

More likely, it will be something like that recent bout of swine flu: arriving from slums of a place like Mexico City or Lagos.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1001/07/2013

I know what you mean, R7. My cousin's kid was coughing and hocking up green goo during Christmas service. I pointed this out to my cousin with concern. She just shrugged and responded, "Allergies."

?!

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1101/07/2013

I hope it starts at your house, Adolf at R12.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1301/07/2013

Lynne.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1401/07/2013

r10 - not Mexico City - the altitude.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1501/07/2013

I just got over a bad bout of the flu and decided to watch Contagion, not a good idea. I'm so fucking paranoid now. The scenes in the movie where they focused on all the public surfaces the infected people touched, just ugh. And the bit at the end about how it started in the first place, because you just know that shit is really happening out there with low industry standards on safe food practices, especially in places like China. That movie made me want to live far away from other human beings.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1601/07/2013

All I know is that nothing is going to touch fucking Madagascar.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1701/07/2013

I meant Lyme. And it won't be confined to New England.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1801/07/2013

It's already started.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 1901/07/2013

Oh goodie, R19. My a-hole boss is going on a business trip over there soon! Hee hee!

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2001/08/2013

R1, love the pan flute showcased in one of the Tarantino movies with Uma Thurman. Haunting!

But really, some people are hysterical and upset the world didn't end recently so this is the next hysterical focus.

Some wouldn't mind the world ending because civilization isn't reaching levels overall it should have by now. That's a healthy, logical outlook. Totally normal. There is so much suffering occurring which is needless with humans having a level of control. Disappointing deeply. Aah, let the world end. Whatever.

Then there's the ones who are having an either harder time with the concept of death and that's where the rest of us need to take note. These end of world types need to be audited by someone if they have dependents. Especially children under 18. Elderly parents and significant others. If you can't stop thinking about it, call an agency. Tell them what you've seen and allow them to make the call. Someone to bounce it off of, their spin on it. Just never use it to spite anyone. Some people are really imbalanced about the reality of our time here on earth. Religions so take advantage of this by promising an afterlife. Please, after about 80 years one is okay with getting a chance to rest. Please! Enough is enough. You're getting tired. Some people can't accept our time here is just a visit. This makes them dangerous. Keep an eye out for them, will ya?

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2101/08/2013

W&W for R8!

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2201/08/2013

I'm still waiting for bird flu.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2301/08/2013

Why are so many Americans so obsessed with catastrophes, conspiracy theories, pandemics, etc.? Remember the Avian Flu in 2005? Article after article comparing it to the Influenza of 1918, warning healthy men in their 30s to be very careful, predicting how, within days, there would be no food at supermarkets, etc. All for what? To freak people out? Nothing like that ever happened. The existence of humanity ebbs and flows. Wars, disease, drought, etc. have occurred for centuries and will continue to occur. Just focus on not being an asshole and helping others whenever possible.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2401/08/2013

Could someone please explain R8's post to me? I don't get it.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2501/08/2013

Your standards are pretty low, r22. That was a not particularly interesting, very typical, Gwyneth joke.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2601/08/2013

R25 = The death of the party.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2701/08/2013

To those who are thinking people are screaming that the sky is falling for nothing, read David Quammen's book Spillover.

I was disappointed in it compared to his other books, but it was still an interesting read.

He tries to state plausible, but worst case scenarios in context and without fear mongering.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2801/08/2013

All Gwyneth jokes are good jokes, Bruce / R26.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 2901/08/2013

Most of these flu bugs seem to originate in Asia where people are squashed in cheek by jowl with chickens, pigs and whatever other creatures.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3001/08/2013

I just got my flu shot today and don't regret getting it. It was a good decision with so many being sick from the flu these days.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3101/08/2013

"I don't have the flu; I have a cold" is the popular response."

The result of the whole, dismissive "man-flu" attitude.

I know when I have a cold - I also know when I have 'flu - so STFU with your "man-flu" diagnosis or I'll come and breathe on you...

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3201/08/2013

r24: yes

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3301/08/2013

I agree with R12

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3401/08/2013

R28, how about posting a one-paragraph summary of what he actually says? Or giving one of the many examples he provides? Year after year, experts warn and warn. Remember in the summer of 2008 when we were warned that gas at $5/gallon was "definitely going to happen" by 2009, and that once that happened, we could forget about it ever going under $5, according to "experts"?

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3501/09/2013

Overpopulation. Already started. Everywhere. The solution to poverty and hunger largely begins with population control. And if breeders don't do that ..well, Mother Nature will. You heard it hear first.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3601/09/2013

Possible new pandemic from China

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3704/04/2013

We create our own doom. People waste their lives by waiting for the shoe to drop. They look for shelter in case the sky is falling. They look for the tell tale signs that life isn't worth living anymore.

When you call for death long and persistent enough, death will answer.

by The Spanish Flu, Blowing Fomites To The Crowd reply 3804/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.