Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is suburban Boston like?

We've had a lot of wars here about Boston versus New York, etc. But I'm curious about the suburbs of Boston -- what are they like? Are they comparable to New York City's Westchester, or Long Island? What's the culture like? Tolerant? Progressive?

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2013

They are as different as Medford and Newton.

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2013

Cohasset is dreadfully suburban.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2013

A friend has relatives in Plymouth and he said they are republican country club types. Snooty and play golf all day.

This kills me too. They ship their Mercedes down to Naples, their winter home. Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a car and leave it down there?

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

The "Boston Area" isn't really like New York. Its whole history is different, as is its geography. Look at the map.

Boston is the dominant force in Suffolk County, but there are plenty of cities that aren't really "suburbs" in the traditional sense. Brookline and Wellesley are two towns close to Boston but is considered by some to be suburbs of Norfolk County. Cambridge, Somerville, Newton and Framingham are all cities in Middlesex County and have their own identities. I wouldn't say any of those listed above are quite like the other.

New York's suburbs as you move outside the city (which I include to mean Brooklyn and Queens) are the classic suburbs and the model for suburbs all over the current U.S., especially Long Island.

The cities and towns around Boston are relatively much more progressive than the conservative kookiness around New York. Old school conservative blue collar Catholic Boston is mixed frenetically with the densest population of students and academics in the United States. You have to go out to the Cape and further outside of the "Boston area" to get to comparable Long Island and Westchester.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.