Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do most celebrities/actors/actresses turn out to be drug addicts

Drug abuse is rampant in Hollywood? No other industry house so many of these people who like doing drugs. Why is it so many celebrities turn to drugs? Is it the stress?

by Anonymousreply 5901/13/2015

One reason is because they can afford it. And frequently they're given drugs for free, just by virtue of being a celebrity. John Belushi, who died at age 33 of a speedball overdose, practically had cocaine thrown at him wherever he went.

Of course, there's always the excuse of "boredom" and "stress relief" for the use of drugs. But that's crap. Celebrities indulge in drugs to excess because they CAN.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

I can't help myself!!!

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

Easy, OP:

1) Lots of free time

2) Lots of "job stress" (e.g. last movie underperformed, difficult role)

3) Lots of fucked up family histories that may have spawned an escape from trauma

4) Way to deal with being in the closet

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

Low I. Q., big egos and lots of money.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

[quote]Melanie Griffith once said she thought actors felt things on a much deeper level than us simple folk.

She has nerve, calling other people "simple." I doubt Melanie Griffith yet knows all the colors and shapes.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

Agree with R1. Mostly because they have better access and more powerful enablers.

Those are really the only differences. Other factors (such as being sad, stressed, and/or exploited) apply to everybody.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

No, no, no . . . "Simple" was my word. I have no idea what word she used. And she wasn't trying to be snarky. At the time, I thought her response made sense.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

[quote]Plus, don't you think you have to be a bit more "emotional" to be an actor? Melanie Griffith once said she thought actors felt things on a much deeper level than us simple folk.

Don't be a fool. NO.

Miley Cyrus also asserted this a couple years ago.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

I think a lot of actors have quite low self esteem, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

R10, Quite a few actors have said that acting is for particularly insecure people. However, they obviously compensate by being clinically narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

Is that true Op, or do you just hear about it more that the non-celebrity addict. They are out there but you just don't read about it in a tabloid.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

"Why do most celebrities/actors/actresses turn out to be drug addicts"

They don't.

The percent of drug addicts in shobiz is not any higher than the percent of addicts in most other professions.

You people are just making generalizations.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

r13 is right. the rest of you sound like fraus in middle america who read tabloids and eat olive garden

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

We hear about drug use among actors/celebrities more often because they're public figures. In reality, drug use occurs everywhere, among people from all walks of life.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

Right, but drugs flow freely (pun intended) for VIPs. I feel like drug culture is much more homogenous in certain professions.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

R14 Eats phlegm quesadillas at Applebees.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

They also do it to keep their weight down.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

I think it depends more on the profession. I'm a college professor with a PhD in comparative literature, and just in my department alone, I know seven people who are in recovery. I'm actually one of them. Oxys and Roxis called my name EVERY DAY for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

Well, I think most actors, at least the ones I met when I was working with regional theatre companies, are very fragile, unstable people. They may give you the impression they're solid, and affable etc. but that's their game face.

They're always "selling." They're plagued by self -doubt and an unusual need for approval. They get a lot of rejection. A lot. They work in an industry where the unemployment rate is over 90%.

Even if they have a couple of projects that are successful, or even wildly successful, they always feel illegitimate, and that it can all go away. All these famous actors you see out here? They are fronting tough.

They are driven, ambitious, and even desperate in ways you can't even imagine. Look at Bradley Cooper. great example. You don't have to be wealthy & successful to be attracted to drugs.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

Well if you worked at regional theatre companies r20, then you are truly qualified to make such a blanket statement based on the people you met. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

Most really creative people are big drug/drink addicts. Truman Capote hypothesized that it was because they look at things from all different sides and angles whereas "normal" people just see one image. They use something to slow down the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

Working backwards through this hypothesis, I am a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

Creative people take drugs because they're so perceptive and sensitive? Bitch, puhleeeze!

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

Money and boredom. And the trailer trash mentality. 90% of celebs came from modest means; they don't know any better. Also - being subjected to sexual abuse as children tying to get into the biz.

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

Yeah, getting into show business and STAYING in it could contribute to forming a concentrated group of paradoxical self-loving/self-loathing people, but it's not because they are more sensitive or creative than an "average" person. They're not. That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

R3, you forgot "keeping your weight down".

Seriously, IMHO that's a big part of it, particularly for women. Young actresses are supposed to be extremely underweight to photograph well, a size 0 or 00, and cocaine and adderall will kill the hunger pains and make it easy to stay camera-ready.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

Was it this way before Hollywood? I know many actors have always been drunks (before drugs) but many more have not...

I've read a little about the British stage and someone like Richard Burton or Oliver Reed would not have been out of place in Victorian theaters, but there are plenty of level headed Judi Dench types to balance that out.

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

Christ you flyover idiots kill me. Does it occur to you that the media isn't interested in covering insurance salesmen who are drug addicts?

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

R30, Um. I'm not a flyover.

Maybe OP could have worded the thesis better, but come on. Yes, ALL types of people are addicts, and it's common. But higher percentages of people involved in certain groups are likely to use drugs, for a variety of convenient reasons.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

[quote]No other industry house so many of these people who like doing drugs.

Musicians. And writers, whose drug of choice is usually alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

I have worked in the entertainment industry and managed restaurants.

There are ALOT more drugs used in restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

Melanie Griffith is right, artists need to feel things on a deeper level and are more sensitive (whether actors are really artists is questionable, since it's really a craft, as an actor you're not creating anything, you're mouthing other people's words).

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2013

[quote]Plus, don't you think you have to be a bit more "emotional" to be an actor? Melanie Griffith once said she thought actors felt things on a much deeper level than us simple folk.

She's also an uneducated idiot. "Artists" are not more sensitive or emotional than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

[quote]Does it occur to you that the media isn't interested in covering insurance salesmen who are drug addicts?

I would daresay that one is more likely to be offered cocaine at a recording studio, movie set or music/film industry party than in an insurance office.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

But the ones who truly feel empathy are often those who have genuine passions for, say, special education and various human services.

But interestingly enough, many of these people also seem to make good actors with a little nudge of direction. At the best improv joint I'd ever been to, the most brilliant performers were a social worker and an occupational therapist by day, respectively. But with the exception of some performance types, I think there's very little art in mainstream acting. People who make art their life might be profound, but it is often an exceptionally self-centered and insular profundity. That's to be expected, but it doesn't make them more sensitive than the next person. The manifestation merely shifts.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

you people are such morons. r31 for example "higher percentages"? It's simpletons like you with your made up statistics that have lowered the bar in arguments.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Jesus, since when was this an argument, R38? Says the random gay browsing the fucking DL, taking everything literally and to heart.

People in certain groups ARE more likely to use. Notice that I didn't specify percentage numbers OR types of groups.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

For performers, I think it is the unrealistically high rewards for repeating a predictable performance over and over. New material creates growth, but the audience demands the old standards that created fame. It leads to boredom with lots of money attached.

For musicians and actors, I think some of it stems from dealing drugs to make ends meet when they are starting out. I hear rumors about actors being former sex workers, but I wonder if they were actually dealing and the sex was secondary to gaining access to deep pockets for their product.

Also, success means having staff to manage that success. Having people to manage your money, career, home, and social life is wonderful when you're working a 16 hour shift for 60-90 days. When the job ends, however, what do you do with your time besides promote yourself?

Finally, happy celebrities (like good news items) do not sell media clicks/sound bites/interviews. You don't hear about celebrities who have a well-adjusted personal life because they are boring. Their adopted causes are boring. What comes out of their mouths is boring.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

R30 and R38 are right. Go to any shitsville poor suburban area and you will find drug use is absolutely rife. It's everywhere in western society - from rich to poor and in any profession you can name. Drug users are usually people you'd pass in the street without giving a second glance, not some alien species from Planet Hollywood. Only two weeks ago some bar owner friends of mine were talking about a christmas party they hosted for an architectural firm where cocaine was offered to the staff. We only hear about it more in showbiz types because their personal lives are tabloid fodder. You people have been watching too much TMZ.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

[quote]We only hear about it more in showbiz types because their personal lives are tabloid fodder. You people have been watching too much TMZ.

Drug ADDICTION seemingly exaggerated? Probably. Drug use? No.

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

I agree with some reasons offered. I also think that creative types and people in out-of-the-ordinary professions tend to be more risk takers and trying drugs is another adventure they're willing to risk. I don't think they start off wanting to be an addict.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

What R12, R41, and others have said.

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

actors are very self centered and need constant attention there desperate need to be in the spotlight both on camera and off they cant get enough attention its all about me me me they them selves are the center of the universe and the need to feel good thru drugs is testamemt to this ideal many commite suiside once there fame starts to fade because they think themselves much to superior to join the ranks of normal life

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2015

While actors and musicians may not necessarily be more creative or sensitive at the core than everyone else, they have made a choice to make their profession out of being so, which can be very taxing and create a lot of highs and lows.They have chosen to be the vessel by which everyone else vicariously experiences certain emotions. For example a singer who has to "go there" on a nightly basis singing emotional songs, if they are really connecting to what they do and to the audience, it can be very heavy at times, thus causing need or desire to numb oneself,even it, out or even take something in order to feel free enough to get to that place.Thats one reason most of the greatest music stars were addicts...Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Eminem, and of coure Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2015

I wonder if there are more druggies among American actors than British or European actors. I am pretty sure Hollywood is one of the biggest shitholes to work for. Nothing is real, everything is make believe. Actors are basically race horses who have to make money for studios. Behind the scenes it's a brutal cut throat business.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2015

R46 I think that does certainly play a part. Exposing your soul is bound to come with a price. But I think some of them would be addicts anyway, regardless of circumstances. It's just how they are wired.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2015

Celebrities are constantly being judged. They can't got to the corner market without looking perfect, or else their pics wind-up on the cover of some magazine. No matter how secure you are, that's got to weigh on you.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2015

I really was just trying to please my mother, and Mr. Mayer!

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2015

Because they're idiots and interested in living the 'fast life'. They probably also imitate the older ones (you know, when in Rome...). Most mostly because they insecure and imature idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2015

BABY GUMM

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2015

Oh, R51, you've coined a new phrase that I love! Most mostly because it adds emphisis just where it's needed!

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2015

There is extensive drug use amongst all levels of society. The difference in type of drug and quality of it would vary depending on your wealth. If your 22 and a successful actor/musician/sports person who earns millions, then chances are you might waste some of it on A grade drugs.

You earn more than anyone you know, you think your luck will never run out and you can't imagine the dream ending. Your lack of life experience might make it impossible for you to imagine that ten years from now you will be pawning your designer coat for drugs and making your home under a bridge. It has nothing to do with being more "emotional." That's Melanie Griffiths excuse for pouring drugs down her throat for years on end. I'm sure nurses/soldiers/social workers experience a lot of "emotions" too each day. Probably more emotions than Melanie's permanently stoned ass.

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2015

They finally realize they have absolutely no talent and remember the wise words of E. Scrooge "and decreae the surplus population."

by Anonymousreply 5501/09/2015

Drug use is, despite the eventual rot, a bonding ritual. It's a way to talk (non-stop) about dreams, ambitions, a way to gain the confidence to confess crushing secrets to new "best friends", a false lubricant for instant intimacy. It makes people think they're great partiers, bohemian outlaw dreamers, without actually doing anything special. Boogie Nights captured this.

And if it's coke, no eating. That no-eating thing is a huge for women and men, a shameful and unspoken motivator.

by Anonymousreply 5601/09/2015

R49

Unless you call the paps and your fame is based on being a fixture in the gossip rags (Brangelina, Clooney and Co) most celebs know how to avoid paparazzi.

R55

Johnny Depp

by Anonymousreply 5701/09/2015

Because actors are usually bored since it's such an easy profession. A few hours of taping a day, then in go to my trailer with nothing else to do. So if there's a mountain of coke that Cameron or Jamie behind left in my trailer, what else am I going to do with hours to spare?

by Anonymousreply 5801/10/2015

R46 has point. But it also could just be the pressure to always deliver and remain popular.

by Anonymousreply 5901/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.