Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is Jennifer Aniston a big thing?

Still? When she was on "Friends", she was the one most made a big deal of, even though Cox was the prettiest of the girls and went into the series as probably the most known of the cast. Okay, she married Brad Pitt and had a hairdo everybody wanted, but many years and flop films later (and she hasn't been Mrs. Pitt for quite some time now), and barely a day goes by where I don't see her or hear about her on TV or the internet. Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

She isn't. I haven't heard of her for years now. The Kardashians aren't currently the big thing.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

She is still riding the wronged woman, you know "Brad dumped me for Angelina". She needs to move on, she is not top notch actress and she is just ok in looks.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

PR machine and the flops here were big hits outside the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

R2 She's not still riding on the "wronged woman" wagon.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

She is a surrogate fantasy figure for the straight women who watched her on Friends. They think she is their friend and that she is them.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

We've just all been successfully brainwashed to think we should always care about her. So much Hollywood PR work went into branding her, that it would be too expensive to allow her to fade now!

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

She's an everywoman type, sort of a female Tom Hanks. She's not supposed to be a drop dead goddess, she's supposed to be relatable, someone you could be friends with in the real world or actually marry.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

because the great unwashed who make these people A Listers are vacuous twits?

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

I like her a lot. Her movies are comfortable, no surprises romantic comedies. They're fine. And she quietly gives to worldwide AIDS charities. That's enough.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

I don't think she's the most beautiful woman to grace the planet, but I do think she's very pretty and has a nice sense of casual style.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

I have a feeling that she's going to be famous for the rest of her life, whether we like it or not. Kind of like Farrah Fawcett was.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

I saw Courteney Cox on Leno Friday and she was HIDEOUSLY frightening. Way too much surgery. Way too much. Joker Face too much.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

Always thought, and watching the late night reruns now, that Courtney Cox was the heart and soul of the show and the funniest yet all were nominated for Emmys but her.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

[quote] Why is Jennifer Aniston a big thing?

She isn't. She's a commodity for the tabloid press/media. This reminds me of the thread of people who really aren't attractive, but the media tells us they are attractive.

Aniston is okay looking, but you can go to your local mall and find 20 much more attractive women

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

I could say that about most celebrities, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

She's Debbie Reynolds. The girl next door. And a poor excuse for one I might add.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

I think it's her old character, Rachel, on "Friends" too. I think a lot of men want to sleep with that character, not so much with Aniston, who like Brad Pitt said, was pretty much a boring pothead.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

She's a media celebrity, not a movie star celebrity. Meaning, you don't really read much about somebody like Denzel Washington but his movies always make money. OTOH, Aniston is on the cover of countless magazines but her movies usually bomb.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

Being dumped by Brad sustained her career, what there is of it. She milked it for all it was worth.

She hasn't had a hit film in ages, and is really just famous for being famous at this point. But she's lucky enough to have enough money to pay PR agents to pretend that she's still some hot A lister who can compete with real box office stars.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

"Okay, she married Brad Pitt"

And there's your answer, right there. Brandi Glanville's claim to fame is that she was married to Eddie Cibrian, who is C list at best.

Camille Grammer was married to a once A list TV star.

So Anniston is the ex of someone who is still an A list film star-- AND she still has film exposure.

It's not what you've done in Hollywood. It's who.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

I call this the DL theory of Jennifer Aniston:

Women watch Aniston in something and she's so unthreatening to them that they imagine themselves being her or being friends with her. They imagine that if they lost 20 pounds and had a nose job that they'd be just like her.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

What I despise about Aniston, Vince Vaughn and their ilk is that they are supposedly the masters of American comedy & yet if you actually watch a film like "The Break-Up", it's about two humorless self entitled assholes who take themselves far too seriously. There's not one joyful moment in that film. It's a cynical, mean kind of snark that is regarded as wit nowadays and thank this miserable Aniston woman for that. She makes it her mission to attract infantile bawdy minded man-children and then expects the audience to feel sorry when they fail to 'get' her?

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

The Breakup was really painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

r23, Judy Davis is the only one who is actually playing comedy in that film, as Aniston's boss at the art gallery. You could pull together all of Judy's scenes from that film and make them into a short film in its own right because she is the only respite in that heavy handed, soulless mess of a film.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

I think the public in general likes her and feels she was a victim of Brangelina and was the 'good girl' in the whole thing. Despite her constant flop movies, she continues to make them and she has a Doris Day thing about her.

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

Yes, the fact that she's appealing to both men and women is a big plus. Besides that, she's super-connected in Hollywood and has been for years. She knows EVERYone. And with all her high-end real estate flipping, she'll never go broke.

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

I agree, r24. Judy Davis can turn shit into gold; even when she has a bad script she can rise above the material and make you notice her performance. I wish she would work more.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

"The Break-Up" was awful. However, Aniston can be very good in the right role. She was good as Rachel, I thought she was great in "Horrible Bosses". Also, she's the Debbie Reynolds of the 2000s. People love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

I'm trying to figure out how much longer she's going to keep doing these stupid rom-coms. She's 43 for fucking crying out loud - try something else!

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!