Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Artist's Way

Has anyone tried to use this book for blocked creativity?

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2013

Heard of it. Never read it. I heard it was good, actually.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

It's based on the 12 Step Program and makes you face issues about what you really want, in terms of creating.

Most people don't get past the fourth step, but I think the second step is good -- you make a date with yourself to go out once a week to look at things.

All the steps have writing exercises.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

We can discuss this at Michfest in the 'nurturing the creative womban inside' tent.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

Recovering a Sense of Safety

Recovering a Sense of Identity

Recovering a Sense of Power

Recovering a Sense of Integrity

Recovering a Sense of Possibility

Recovering a Sense of Abundance

Recovering a Sense of Connection

Recovering a Sense of Strength

Recovering a Sense of Compassion

Recovering a Sense of Self-Protection

Recovering a Sense of Autonomy

Recovering a Sense of Faith

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Well, I just tried the morning pages exercise and it was amazing. I feel great.

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2013

Strictly for the uninspired and talentless!

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

OP, I completed the 12-week course a couple of years ago and it really did bring positive results. I didn't get through all the exercises, and the "artist date" became increasingly challenging as the weeks went on, but I finished the program.

Oddly enough, just last night, I picked up the book (after not having looked at it in nearly two years) and will be doing the entire course again.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

Was it week 4 or 6 ? I found it particularly challenging - the one when you cannot read anything else, nor watch TV/films.

How is it possible in these days to avoid emails /internet for one whole damn week?

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

OP, there's no such thing as writer's block. That's silly. Maybe there's just other things in your life that need attention.

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

I did, OP, some years ago - the full 12 weeks or however long you are supposed to do it. I have to say I had some pretty insightful revelations. In some weird way, the morning pages can work similar to meditation and bring out unconscious thoughts to the surface. I became very intuitive. For example, I was unemployed when I did TAW (a good time to do TAW, as it requires time) and one morning while I was doing my morning pages I knew exactly when my next job was going to begin (and it did).

I started TAW this morning, so thanks for the inspiration OP.

by Anonymousreply 1001/10/2013

I did the morning pages for a long time and it helped, but then I thought about it and Julie Cameron really has no significant work to her name and it kind of pissed me off and made me feel misled. If she can't even use her own program to create work that merits public appreciation, how will it help the rest of us?

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

It's kind of like someone who is still drinking telling someone how to successfully quit.

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

The AW is SOOOO 1999.

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

Does it really matter, R11, if it helps you in some way?

Julia Cameron was married to Scorsese. I think she hoped to have a film career alongside her husband, but once their marriage fell apart she may have lost some of her ambition. They have a daughter, Domenica.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

I'm happy to see this thread. Three people last week recommended I get the book. I ordered it on amazon a few days ago. This must be an omen.

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!