Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's the longest you've ever gone without watching television?

Not counting when you're away on business or vacations, out-of-town, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

An hour.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

Never measured it but probably weeks. When you have the internet, who needs television?

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

Maybe a couple of years...

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Just last December, I pushed some button or changed a setting and lost the signal from my cable box to my television. I was too tired and/or busy to find the problem and fix it. I travel a lot for business, and would watch television in my hotel rooms, but on the two or three days between trips I wouldn't watch television and just read or be on the computer. I finally got around to diagnosing and fixing the problem on New Year's Eve in order to watch the Twilight Zone marathon, which is one of my "traditions". On vacations, however, I've gone much longer without television.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

about five years.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

I spend very little time watching TV. I watch everything on the internet and usually sit down on Friday night/Sat and catch up on the 5 or 6 shows I watch.

Now the internet on the other hand. . .

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

Assuming that DVD's don't count...three or four years. Too broke for cable, no reason to ever turn on an old tube set for the usual over the air crap.

I started watching the local news in glorious 720p occasionally when I bought a small HD set a while back, and get Netflix and some other IP- oriented stuff like Huffpo and TWIT on a Roku. Standard broadcast fare ain't where it's happenin', baby.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

I haven't watched t.v. for 9 years now. Don't miss it. Nothing's really on that I like.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

I had Netflix for two years but I saw everything I wanted to see and I won't pick it up again until there are enough movies made that I might want to see, I figure in a decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

Several weeks.

Is this an eldergay thread? It's like asking about the last time you used an 8-track... T.V. is headed that same direction. A better question might be how long someone went without their computer.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

In 2001 I moved to new place and my tv broke in transit. A new one was not in the budget, so I kept putting off buying a new one. Finally, after like a month of no tv but still shopping for one, I realized I had been without one for so long, did I really need to get one? I certainly could not justify spending the money for a new TV and cable if it wasnt something I needed or even wanted. Eventually in September, because I knew I was going to want to watch the World Series, I broke down and got a used set from Goodwill for like $25. As the games were always on a network station, I passed up getting cable. Then, a few days later some knuckleheads knocked out the television transmitter in NY and I was back to no tv (except for one station) I rented a lot of moves, mostly comedies. Something about that week compelled me to find something to laugh about.

My tv viewing habit never came back after that. Now I have basic cable (actually its included in my HOA fee so its really no sacrifice) and a big plasma, but its mostly used for watching DVDs or spots. After 30 Rock goes off the air, there really will be very little that I will watch.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

If you watch TV shows on a computer, you are still "watching TV."

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

8 years

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!