Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bette Midler to play Sue Mengers on Broadway

Joe Mangello to direct. From JoeMyGod:

[quote]Sue Mengers was an American original. She was the first female “superagent” at a time when women talent agents of any kind were almost unheard of. She came from near poverty, a refugee from Hitler's Germany, and worked her way up through pluck, charm, and a legendary wit. In that uniquely American way, she invented herself; and when the career she wanted didn't exist, she invented that as well: “Superagent.” It was a term Hollywood all but coined for her. By the 1970's, she represented almost every major star in Hollywood and went on to become the town’s most renowned hostess.

EXTREMELY shiny, watertight pic of Bette at link.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2401/08/2013

Why doesn't Midler give up trying to act?

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 101/07/2013

I believe Sue Mengers was Barbra's agent years ago.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 201/07/2013

What could go wrong?

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 301/07/2013

This sounds like an epic disaster! I can't wait!

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 401/07/2013

Don't forget, after you all made me famous, I now hate the gays.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 501/07/2013

Oh give over, r5. She's done a lot for gay people compared to half of the divas some of you queens worship.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 601/07/2013

Shiny and watertight is right!

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 701/07/2013

Hmmm.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 801/07/2013

One of the world's biggest cunts playing another world-class cunt. What a stretch.

Well, she sticks to what she knows, I suppose.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 901/07/2013

Is that comment she once made on an interview (about not knowing whether gay people were cut out for marriage or something) the entire reason we now hate her, or were there other reasons too?

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1001/07/2013

R10 -

The fact that she can't be in a scene without BEING the scene. She has a definite gift for comedy and drama, but she has never learned to moderate from a 9 or 10 down to a 4 or 5 when needed.

The general cuntiness that she serves everyone, no matter how famous or unfamous. She is just a generally unhappy, unpleasant person.

The fact that her voice is kinda busted now and she's singing the same shit she did for 40+ years. (Though the Clooney songbook is a nice exception.)

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1101/07/2013

Does there need to be another reason r10? I realize that she started her career in the bath houses and that atmosphere does not give a picture of the gay community as a group that would care about marriage. But she is a bright woman I would assume and is capable of realizing that that is not the total representation of the entire community. So her statement reveals a certain prejudice in her that should not be there given her early persona as an intelligent, open minded person who is close to the gay community.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1201/07/2013

"Joe Mangello"?? I take it you mean Joe Mantello.

I am always horrified when I hear he's directing again. He's a completely talent-free hack. After the ridiculous "Other Desert Cities", I can't see how he gets hired. I know that "Wicked" makes him one of the wealthiest people in theater ever, but it doesn't mean he has an ounce of talent.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1301/07/2013

Wow, R2, you have a firm grasp on history.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1401/07/2013

r13 His ASSASSINS was pretty spectacular. As was TAKE ME OUT. He did have that run in with Megan Mullally with LIPS TOGETHER and she said BITCH, PLEASE and left. Should be interesting to see how he works with Bette....

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1501/07/2013

It is a one woman sow so her big personality will be a plus.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1601/07/2013

Oh, so no part for my boytoy Matthew Risch then?

Go hire Mike Nichols...

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1701/08/2013

She'll be alternating performances with Tom Hanks' one-man play about Mike McAlary.

4 performances each per week.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 1801/08/2013

It could be worse: she could be doing a stage musical version of FOR THE BOYS.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2001/08/2013

R20, you're darksided.

Sure, she's a cunt but I like Bette as a performer, always have. Sue Mengers was fascinating, back in the old days.

Kind of a shame, though, there are a lot of really good actresses "of a certain age" who could play the shit out of the Mengers role.

Also, caftans. I can see Sue Mengers in those goddamned caftans right now.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2101/08/2013

"For the Boys: The Musical!" starring Bette Midler and Nathan Lane would be so unbelievably fucking awful I would have to be there on opening night just to say that I saw it.

Whenever "what was the worst show you ever saw?" would come up in conversation I would win every time!

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2201/08/2013

Why was Mengers a cunt?

I mean, aside from the fact that she was a Hollywood agent. I think the ability to harness your inner cunt is part of the job description.

Speaking of agents, anything shaking out on the Chasen case?

That one really haunts me. (Yeah, I know, Mary!)

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2301/08/2013

Fuck off (R19)

From a Jew.

by Cue the Eldergay trolls!reply 2401/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.