Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Prince of Tides": God, I LOVE this piece of trash

I really love this movie, it is perfect for when you want a Lifetime paint-by-numbers weepie but don't want to feel so guilty afterward. Some of the dialogue is so overcooked I chuckle: "I don't know when my parents began their war against each other - but I do know the only prisoners they took were their children." I think he's speaking in metaphor! Exactly the type of thing an uneducated frau from Brooklyn would consider great writing.

Now, Babs does a very good job in the role (more on that later), but her directing is as delightfully subtle as a car crash. I'm surprised she didn't just ask Jeroen Krabbe to grow a mustache so he could twirl it. Nolte and Nelligan escape by the skin of their teeth through sheer talent. And Lowenstein has to be the WORST shrink in NY if she couldn't figure Tom's sister out way before he shows up.

At last - the NAILS, the LEGS, and the sheer vanity of Babs is the cherry on top of the cake that has already been soaked in sugar syrup.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

She turned a multilayered book into a soap opera. She also eliminated a main character (the brother, who was the Prince of Tides) and elevated her own character from minor to major.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

How could you eliminate the Prince of Tides from The Prince of Tides?

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

[quote]She also eliminated a main character (the brother, who was the Prince of Tides)

WHAT?

So what was the story about? What became the climax?

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

Great movie! Barbra did an outstanding job condensing a brilliant book into an outstanding movie.

Loved both the book and the movie.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

George Carlin as the gay neighbor is lovely in this.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

The movie focused a lot more on the Tom-Lowenstein relationship. They practically eliminated Luke.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

A HUGE vanity project.

"At the end of every day I drive through the city of Charleston and I cross the bridge that will take me home. I feel the words building inside me, I can't stop them, or tell you why I say them, but as I reach the top of the bridge these words come to me in a whisper. I say these words as a prayer, as regret, as praise, I say: Lowenstein... Lowenstein... "

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

And Lowenstein was described as "A WASPy looking Jew."

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

I love that and other passages. Conroy is such a gifted writer.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

I cringe for Conroy, but I weep for you, r9.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

Great book, great movie.

"I've sampled the merchandise"

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.