Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Katy Perry Has a Song Called "UR SO Gay"

Why hasn't she gotten more shit for this?

by Anonymousreply 5706/28/2013

She means Gay as in stupid, stupid!

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

Good question. You'd have to ask the dumb queens that support these "gay icons". Just like when Madonna threw the word "fag" around in Truth or Dare and supported Eminem for saying "fag" or the fact that Rihanna does songs with homophobic artists - these dumb queens still call these lame females "gay icons" and keep putting money into their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

"Ur So Gay"

[Verse 1] I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf While jacking off listening to Mozart You bitch and moan about LA Wishing you were in the rain reading Hemingway You don’t eat meat And drive electrical cars You’re so indie rock it’s almost an art You need SPF 45 just to stay alive

[CHORUS] You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys No you don’t even like No you don’t even like No you don’t even like boys You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys No you don’t even like No you don’t even like No you don’t even like…

[Verse 2] You’re so sad maybe you should buy a happy meal You’re so skinny you should really Super Size the deal Secretly you’re so amused That nobody understands you I’m so mean cause I cannot get you outta your head I’m so angry cause you’d rather MySpace instead

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

R3 So basically she's putting a guy down for being what she considers to be "feminine".

Nice.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Here's British comedian Simon Amstell on this song.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

The song is about an unmanly, nonmasculine guy, not a dude who is into dudes. She is talking about unmasculine guys.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

[quote]] I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf While jacking off listening to Mozart

What a fucking cunt. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

If Rihanna or Nicki Minaj made this song Gladd would be coming after them. Since Katie is white she gets a pass.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

The song reflects the sentiment of most girls. They want their boyfriend/husband to be manly and will deride him if she shows signs of softness, femininity.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

Yes, she is talking about a not-masculine guy, but she is INSULTING him by calling him gay. Why insult him at all? Why use "gay" as the insult?

No pass.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

Liking Mozart = cultured = feminine = gay.

No pass, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

She redeemed herself in the eyes of many with her subsequent songs and actions, including "Fireworks."

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

[quote]The song is about an unmanly, nonmasculine guy. She is talking about unmasculine guys.

Yes, gay men. Duh. That's where it comes from, douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

[quote]The song is about an unmanly, nonmasculine guy, not a dude who is into dudes. She is talking about unmasculine guys.

Dumb self-loating fag. I'm callling you a fag as in a feminine str8 man, R6. So it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

When did Madonna say fag in Truth or Dare?

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

The stupid cunt married one of those H&M scarf wearing guys

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

I do not know who this dame is, and could not care less about what she sings.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

Perry says she still speaks in tongues at the dinner table, and blasts Lady Gaga for blasphemy. You do realize she's a religious fundamentalist, right? She started off as a Christian singer.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

She's white, duh!

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

"Why hasn't she gotten more shit for this?"

Because she is white. GLADD didn't go after Charlie Sheen either after his recent gay rant. So GLADD says nothing about Katie Perry or Charlie Sheen but they will go after the likes of Azealia Banks. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

For fuck's sake, can someone please tell me what race Katy Perry is?!?!

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

Str8 frau at R21, fuck off back to jesus land you dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

R21, so if millions believe in speaking in tongues then it ISN'T a sign of mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

She's white isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

Katy Perry is proof that women CAN be motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

If the Caftan fits...

by Anonymousreply 2801/07/2013

Exactly r10. She's equating "metrosexuals" with being gay which she obviously regards as a negative thing an something to be mocked.

Always despised this no talent, no voice hag.

by Anonymousreply 2901/07/2013

[quote]Because she is white. GLADD didn't go after Charlie Sheen either after his recent gay rant. So GLADD says nothing about Katie Perry or Charlie Sheen but they will go after the likes of Azealia Banks. Why is that?

No. Because the song is from before she was ever famous. So no one cares. If she reload the song today hell yeah she'd get shit. But it wouldn't ruin her career.

by Anonymousreply 3001/07/2013

It wasn't from before she was famous. It was from her first, very popular, album. That album sold millions and made her a star.

by Anonymousreply 3101/07/2013

Did you all miss the "IT'S NOT OKAY TO USE GAY IN THE PEJORATIVE SENSE" memo? Period. The end. A lot of self-loathing on this thread, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3201/07/2013

The idea that gay organizations only comment about black homophobia is laughable. Among the very first rappers that GLAAD and the like ever called out for homophobia was Eminem because they were too timid and PC to ever comment about the rampant homophobia in the real hip-hop community.

This Perry song was a minor viral hit before she was famous. Gay people on this thread are obviously totally upfront in their criticism and they don't base such criticism on her race, and if the song came out now that people actually know who this no-talent is, gay orgs would certainly chime in likewise imho.

Quit seeing racism everywhere. It makes criticism of genuine racism seem less legitimate imho.

by Anonymousreply 3301/07/2013

Um, there were heated, online discussions about this song, and these discussions peaked in 2008. That said, it may be important to remember it happened.

KP's personal entourage (which is NOT full of ex-Christians or Christians) is one of the most vast and annoying. They would excuse anything for her, yet crucify "normal" people for hypothetically doing the same things. But I guess that's what celebrities and their friends do.

It's all part of her persona? Well, it's a dumb persona to have. Enjoy ya billions of dollaaazz. As someone who was brought up similarly, I feel like I understand her to an extent, but "talent" like hers is perhaps best not rewarded on such a tremendous level.

P.S. She won some kind of Trevor Project award recently, after famous people higher up on the string couldn't accept.

by Anonymousreply 3401/07/2013

She's another awful prodigy of the Jimmy Iovine machine: evil, Satanic, talentless but moldable. All these girls are a mess. The fucking pink hair? Plastic outfits? Candy-colored videos designed to lure innocent young girls into their nasty, self-serving fold. Grow up, gays who idolize these plastic whores.

by Anonymousreply 3501/07/2013

Go Simon at r5! Anyone who has a problem with this song can Jew off and stop being so black about it.

This song was a terrible mistake and the result of an unchecked ego and bad judgement. Never leave a pop star to their own devises.

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2013

[quote]She's another awful prodigy of the Jimmy Iovine machine:

Jimmy Iovine does not work for Capitol Records, hon.

by Anonymousreply 3701/07/2013

[quote]Candy-colored videos designed to lure innocent young girls into their nasty, self-serving fold.

For a moment, I thought you meant "nasty, self-serving fold" as her vulvar slit. Lol.

I was going to say, "don't you mean 'lure young BOYS?'"

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013

She has done NOTHING for gay people. NOTHING.

Yet if you start a Bette Midler thread, it's 600 responses overnight by people complaining what a homophobe she is.

by Anonymousreply 3901/07/2013

Yeah the hate for Midler that some on here have is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

[quote]For fuck's sake, can someone please tell me what race Katy Perry is?!?!

Not a race, but she's mixed European. Part of that is apparently Portuguese, so you can make what you will of her ancient or marginal ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

I remember drama where that lezzie singer Beth Ditto slammed Katy for "riding on the back of gay culture", mostly for her Kissed A Girl song.

Then Katy's gay BFF Markus called her "Beth Dildo" on his blog in what he thought was a more eloquent rant in defense of Katy.

Sigh...everyone's just a mess.

by Anonymousreply 4201/07/2013

Many heterosexual college males say 'That's so gay,' but why? January 30th, 2013 in Other Sciences / Social Sciencest Many heterosexual college males say 'That's so gay,' but why?t

(Phys.org)—"That's so gay" is a popular expression on campuses nationwide among heterosexual students, especially young men. But why do they say it? A new University of Michigan study sheds light on this question.

"That's so gay," although not necessarily said to harm lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) students, can create a hostile environment, say U-M researchers. Inherent in this saying—frequently used to declare something, some behavior or someone as "stupid" or "uncool"—is the assumption that being gay is inferior and that being heterosexual is desirable.

Regardless of the underlying intent, these messages can negatively affect LGB students, says Michael Woodford, assistant professor at the U-M School of Social Work and the study's lead author. The findings suggest that heterosexual male students' tendency toward saying "that's so gay" is partially explained by certain attitudes and factors.

"Studies find that perpetuating LGB hate crimes and gay bullying is strongly correlated with homophobia. Therefore, it is commonly assumed that homophobia is linked to saying 'that's so gay,'" Woodford said. "However, our results suggest otherwise."

Among the heterosexual male undergraduates surveyed, attitudes about the acceptability of same-sexuality were unrelated to using the phrase, but levels of discomfort with feminine men were related. The more respondents were uncomfortable around feminine men, the more likely they were to report saying the phrase.

The study also found that when respondents heard the phrase frequently, they tended to say it more often.

"We're all affected by the social context we're in," Woodford said. "Our results suggest that students may replicate what they hear others say. Some students who use the phrase simply may be following the dominant language norms or are unconsciously replicating others' behaviors."

Most respondents (65 percent) reported saying "that's so gay" at least once on campus in the past 12 months, and 31 percent reported using the phrase 10-plus times. Nearly 90 percent of the students reported hearing "that's so gay" at least once on campus; 63 percent indicated hearing the phrase 10 or more times.

"The high rate of usage suggests that using the phrase is part of the campus's implicit culture," Woodford said. "It's a cultural norm, one that the campus culture has allowed to develop and continue. As a result, students perceive it is okay to use the phrase."

In contrast to previous research, the current study found that being exposed to lesbians, gays and bisexuals, specifically acquaintances, may reduce the number of times a person uses the phrase.

Earlier research conducted by Woodford and colleagues found that LGB students are at increased risk for feeling unaccepted on campus as well as experiencing physical health problems, such as headaches, the more they hear "that's so gay."

"Since these problems can interfere with students' academic performance, eliminating the use of the expression from college campuses is important in fostering lesbian, gay and bisexual students' well-being and potential," Woodford said.

Data were collected using an anonymous online survey that asked about experiencing and witnessing harassment and other forms of interpersonal mistreatment on campus, as well as students' attitudes.

The study used data from 378 male undergraduates between 18 and 25 years of age who identified as "completely heterosexual." Participants were asked how many times in the past 12 months they had "said the phrase 'that's so gay' to suggest something was stupid or undesirable." They were asked about the frequency of hearing the phrase used in the same way.

The study suggests that to eliminate the phrase from college campuses, education focusing on increasing male students' comfort with, and ultimately acceptance of, atypical male gender expression will make a difference. Also, it is critical for staff, faculty and students to intervene when they hear the phrase, thereby conveying that such language is inappropriate and ultimately beginning to change the social context and interrupt a potentially harmful social norm.

The study's other authors were Michael Howell, assistant professor of social work at Appalachian State University; Alex Kulick, a U-M undergraduate student in Women's Studies and research assistant in the School of Social Work; and Perry Silverschanz, a U-M lecturer in the School of Social Work and the Department of Psychology.

The findings appear in the January issue of Journal of Interpersonal Violence

by Anonymousreply 4301/30/2013

Woah. I thought the lyrics R3 posted, especially verse 1, was a twisted parody until I looked it up. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 4401/30/2013

d

by Anonymousreply 4502/08/2013

[quote]Just like when Madonna threw the word "fag" around in Truth or Dare and supported Eminem for saying "fag" or the fact that Rihanna does songs with homophobic artists - these dumb queens still call these lame females "gay icons" and keep putting money into their pockets.

Madonna actually was a fan of this song funnily enough. She liked her early on, surprisingly it wasn't for the tired faux lesbianism by numbers I Kissed a Girl.

[quote]She redeemed herself in the eyes of many with her subsequent songs and actions, including "Fireworks."

Firework was just a copy of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful with far worse vocals, right down to the video.

Her trash pop was alright at the time but she seriously wore out her welcome trying to outdo Jacko and never went away, always keeping her profile up in the gossip pages with whatever douchebag du jour she's with. She and Adam Levine need to hook up next to create the ultimate attention seeking supercouple, a black hole of vapidity that would swallow up anything in its path.

She is seriously annoying and deep down there is a fundie homophobic cunt. This isn't like the original free spirit Madonna rebelling against her catholic parents, something more sinister here.

by Anonymousreply 4606/28/2013

[quote]Why hasn't she gotten more shit for this?

Why didn't Madonna get shit for saying "fag" in "Truth or Dare"?

by Anonymousreply 4706/28/2013

[quote]Why didn't Madonna get shit for saying "fag" in "Truth or Dare"?

Because she didn't say it.

by Anonymousreply 4806/28/2013

R48 You obviously need to watch it again you idiot because she says it a few times.

by Anonymousreply 4906/28/2013

"I'd kill fags that hate" --Madonna in Truth or Dare

by Anonymousreply 5006/28/2013

She never said that, r50.

by Anonymousreply 5106/28/2013

R51 Are you a fucking retard? Yes she did say it! Go watch the movie again.

by Anonymousreply 5206/28/2013

Stop the hate, r52. You don't have to be mean and nasty toward me. I will check it out again. But, you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5306/28/2013

R48 is stupid

"I'd kill fags that hate"--Madonna in Truth or Dare

by Anonymousreply 5406/28/2013

R54 Madonna did say that but she also said that she'd kill anybody that hates and that she hates people who hate

In an interview to promote the movie Madonna said that the scene where she dared her 2 male dancers to make out was "hot" and that in her opinion "straight men need to be slapped around and get over themselves".

She also said "every straight guy should have another man's tongue in their mouth at least once" .

Isn't that the thinking on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 5506/28/2013

r8 Exactly

by Anonymousreply 5606/28/2013

R52 needs to seek professional help.

by Anonymousreply 5706/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.