Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Log Cabin Republicans' ad says Hagel's apology is "too little, too late"

They include a gay timeline.

They're kidding with this, right?

Did Anne Coulter sign off on this first?

by Anonymousreply 4201/11/2013

Grease fire--stat!

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

These are legitimate concerns. Hagel's got a track record.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

So do the cabbies-- for being phobe apologists.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

It's important to hear what the Quislings have to say.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

You must maintain ideological purity from cradle to grave.

No mistakes!

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

Daddy, daddy! I promise I won't sniff your tighty whities anymore!

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

The have no influence in the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

"but could somebody please explain to me the hate for [t]he Log Cabin Republicans, OTHER than the fact they're Republican?"

Take a person.

Put him in the middle of a busy street.

Abuse and beat him in the most filthy and degraded ways you can imagine.

Invite everyone else to abuse and beat him in the filthiest and most degraded ways THEY can imagine.

Then get him to stand up voluntarily and say how much he enjoyed it - and since he enjoys it, everyone else should enjoy it too...

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

So...they're attacking Hagel for what he *said* almost two decades ago, but have no problem supporting the GOP and what they currently *do* to the gay community?

There's nothing legitimate about this, R2. In fact, it shows LCR are completely full of shit. How can anyone not see that?

LCR supported the GOP in 2012, so they clearly don't care about anti-gay policies, but something said that long ago is worse?

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

R10 That's what I'm trying to figure out. They're upset with this guy, yet they supported voting for anti-gay Mitt Romney?

These people blow me away.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

Think the guy playing Cottontop in "Django Unchained". Two to three shades more dangerous than good old Uncle Tom.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

R7, if that was their mission, I would agree with you, but it isn't. They don't exist to serve the gay population, they exist to serve the republican party.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

[quote]They have sometimes made bad decisions by supporting certain Republicans but they do that to appear "loyal".

Certain Republicans? They supported the god damned presidential ticket which was one of the most homophobic, over a president who was pro-gay, but suddenly they have an issue with a guy who said something homophobic years ago?

We don't have to go back that far to find anti-gay comments and policies from the likes of Romney and Ryan, so you're full of shit just like LCR.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

I dont know R7, maybe because they're self-loathing whores?

Over-compensating for being gay by aligning with a bigoted, hateful, controlling power?

Supporting and tactically affirming an organization that views gays as immoral and (at best) second- class citizens?

Valuing money over dignity? Turning their backs on others with even less power?

I don't know, I can think of a few reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

[quote]Okay, don't kill me over this, but could somebody please explain to me the hate for he Log Cabin Republicans, OTHER than the fact they're Republican?

Because they're anti-gay and support candidates and policies that prevent us from gaining any rights. They are content with and fight to protect the status quo of gays having absolutely no civil rights in the US. This ad is a great example of the Log Cabin Republicans' anti-gay bigotry - they'll endorse and put their weight behind anti-gay Mitt Romney, but when our pro-gay President appoints someone who made an anti-gay remark two decades ago, they're suddenly opposed to anti-gay comments. Their cynicism is one of the reasons they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

GOProud is more conservative and more anti-gay than the Log Cabin Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

Thomas Roberts asked an LCR rep if they'll be putting out ads about Boehner who will be using taxpayer money to fight DOMA. No surprise the stooge gave a b/s response.

[quote]Who paid for the Log Cabin Republicans' anti-Hagel NYT ad?

[quote]The gay GOP group confirms the ad was funded by outside donors, but refuses to identify them or their cause

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

The hypocrisy! It burns!

[quote]Log Cabin Republicans Leader Defends Chick-fil-A From LGBT ‘Thought Police’

[quote]The Log Cabin Republicans’ R. Clarke Cooper today penned a scathing rebuke of LGBT activists and allies who have been speaking out against Chick-fil-A for its anti-gay policies. Confirming for his conservative brethren that “gay people really are the thought police,” Cooper lashes out at “Chick-fil-A haters” for being “superficial, vindictive, and juvenile”:

[quote]Turning a chicken sandwich into Public Gay Enemy Number One makes LGBT people look superficial, vindictive and juvenile — everything that we as a community have worked hard to overcome.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

"They're kidding with this, right?"

Since their entire existence is a pathetic joke; yes!

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

Three things:

Israel

Obama wants him

See, we care about gay rights.

There's their opposition/agenda.

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

It's coming out that Kristol's group paid for the ad. Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

As r23 mentions, the supposed LCR opposition is being (ahem) outed as a neocon hit job. Just a few days before that ad came out, the head of LCR was quoted saying Hagel's '98 remarks about Hormel were forgivable ... then a complete turnaround.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

The real reason Republicans (including the gay ones) oppose Hagel is at the link.

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

[quote]It's important to hear what the Quislings have to say.

THIS...is right on the money (from Bill Kristol).

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

The LCR crowd are relevant only to themselves. The Rethug Party tries its best to ignore them and the rest of us think that they are pathetic, sniveling little morons.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

But here's my problem with the LCR, R14, they're failing.

What is the one and only demographic group to be less supportive of marriage equality than they were 5 years ago? Those who identify as 'Republican.'

The 2012 Republican Party platform is actually the most anti-gay it has ever been! EVER! And that takes some doing. The entire section on gay civil rights was written by the Family Research Council -- a group the Southern Poverty Law Center has called an anti-gay 'hate group.'

If this is the 'good work' the LCR is doing, no thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2801/07/2013

"They are not abused people, they simply believe is small government, capitalism, balanced budgets, etc."

Why any gay people would align themselves with the present-day Republican part because "they simply believe is small government, capitalism, balanced budgets..." is way beyond my realm of imagination.

by Anonymousreply 2901/07/2013

Thanks for the link r25. I am much more enlightened now. Great article.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

I liked Rachel last night. He's not only been anti-gay, he's stated that abortions from rape are too rare to even worry about making an exception.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

So six months ago, they were saying how great Hagel was, but after getting mysteriously funded to run a full page NYT ad, they now don't like him? And this from the people who were pro-Romney, pro-Palin, ad nauseum?

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

The Log Cabin Republicans see all the flaws in non-Republican things while completely shutting out all the horrid flaws of their own party.

It's like scrunching your nose at that flimsy but yet strong vine that could pull you out of that sinkhole filled with elephant manure which you don't want to get out of anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

I saw that, too, R31. Like she said, it will be interesting to hear how he answers such questions at the hearing. I had no idea how extreme he was in his opposition to gay & abortion rights. Since the army now allow gays to openly serve, a lot of issues will come up. Like can gay married couples receive the same benefits as straights?

He also opposes abortions being performed in military hospitals, even if the soldier was raped by another soldier. That's a problem because of the high number of assaults against women within the military. He even thinks military rape victims must pay for their own abortion...performed off site, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

Hagel's not a moderate Republican except when it comes to issues of war and combat. As someone remarked recently (Maddow?), he's one of the few politicians whose views have been fundamentally altered by the disastrous Iraq/Afghanistan wars. He also supports saving the lives of enlisted soldiers (he was one in Vietnam) over the sick fantasies of Pentagon brass. Go figure.

Because he's so conservative, I'd never support Hagel for anything BUT Secretary of Defense. As SoD, he's an inspired choice for the issues we're facing. He can keep a tight rein on the "Let's declare war on Iran" loons and oversee the downsizing of the Pentagon. I think the President got this one right. The Log Cabin Douchebags, as usual, have their heads up the right wing's asses.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

Keep in mind these are the same morons who ENDORSED MITT ROMNEY, a virulently anti-gay candidate who is a BISHOP in a virulently anti-gay church, and who campaigned on virulently anti-gay positions, INCLUDING keeping DOMA in place, restoring DADT, and banning same-sex marriage nationally.

These people are UTTERLY FUCKED UP HYPOCRITES.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

I do love how Dems are fiercely and passionately defending Hagel, a right-wing nut. even his views on Iraq were hardly liberal...he just felt we went in unprepared. He's not some pacifist, he's more of a hawk. He will support drones, etc.

I also think it's interesting that we only hear about Log Cabin opposition to this, as if no other GLBT activists are upset by this. The progressive media will always throw GLBT people under the bus.

It's just more proof that Obama's really a conservative at heart.

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

"Let’s focus instead on Hagel’s over-all voting record in the Senate between 1997 and 2010, as recorded by the non-partisan Web site ontheissues.org, which gained him an eighty-four-per-cent approval rating from the American Conservative Union. On economic issues, Hagel supported the Bush tax cuts, the G.O.P.’s calls for a balanced-budget amendment, and the 2001 bankruptcy law that made it harder for credit-card debtors to walk away from their debts. He voted against No Child Left Behind, a ban on drilling in the Arctic, more restrictions on the tobacco industry, and campaign-finance reform. He voted for means-testing Medicare, eliminating fuel-economy standards, and the partial privatization of Social Security. In short, he was a faithful supporter of pro-corporate, trickle-down policies. When it comes to social issues, Hagel's record is, if anything, even more conservative. A lifelong Roman Catholic, he is strongly anti-abortion and consistently voted to restrict its availability. Based on this history, the abortion rights group NARAL gave him a zero rating, and the National Right to Life Committee gave him a rating of a hundred per cent. He supported teacher-led prayer in schools: the Christian Coalition gave him its top rating of a hundred per cent. He was staunchly in favor of gun rights—he got an “A” rating from the N.R.A.—capital punishment, and the drug war."

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

Log Cabin Republicans do a great job . . .

Of getting me to reject them and make certain never to vote for a Republican politician for even the lowest level of office.

For those who believe in hell, LCR has a special place reserved there for those repulsive sellouts.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about "small government and balanced budgets" - utter bullshit. The Republican party is responsible for the vast majority of the national deficit - among Reagan, Bush 1st, and Bush the 2nd.

They only want small government when it comes to issues that would affect them and prevent them from raping the economy, otherwise they're all for big government intervening in lives.

Saying they believe in capitalism is saying that Democrats don't believe in capitalism - which is absolutely not true.

Don't be so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

[quote]He will support drones, etc.

I don't know what your "etc" covers, R37, but I'm no one's idea of a hawk and I support drones too, as do most Americans. It's an ugly reality - using drones saves the lives of some of the poor bastards who "volunteer" for our military. I'd rather see a drone get blown out of the sky than see an American soldier get blown to pieces.

On this issue Hagel is correct.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

Fuck the Log Cabin Republicans - why are WE as gay Democrats putting up with the nomination of this asshole? He's an intolerant, bigoted, anti-gay asshole, and it's insulting of Obama to expect us to fall in line and put up with this.

What, his skills are so outside the realm of normal human possibility that there exists NO other human being alive who has those skills but also happens to believe that gays and straights are equal and should be treated that way?

Read the full interview Hagel gave in the '90s about his reasons for finding the gay ambassadorial nominee unfit for office. It'll make your blood boil.

by Anonymousreply 4201/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.