Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Warby Parker eyewear

I've asked up and down my circle of friends and everyone says they have heard good things about their eyewear -- but nobody I know owns any.

The glasses look decent (some of them actually look really great), but at $95, I'm suspicious. Like, what's the catch?

Can you even get a good pair of glasses for $95?

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2013

my boss and friend swears by them. I'm sick of spending $200+ on glasses and want to start wearing different colors and styles... I have been meaning to give them a try

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

I just bought a pair from them, and they're good. They have a nice selection of frames, far better than anywhere else I've seen (including regular stores).

The main problem with them is that they don't do bifocals. I decided to get a pair without the bifocals anyway, because I found frames I really like. I have a blind-as-a-bat prescription, so they ended up costing more. This is common with a higher prescription. I paid $125, and I really like the glasses. Just wish they did bifocals.

You might want to check out I've bought from them, too, and they do bifocals. Be sure to google for coupons. Just bought a pair that ended up being $80, even with bifocals and lens compression (or whatever they call it for my higher prescription).

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

Yeah, blind-as-bat prescriptions require high index lenses (and you'll always want to get the anti scratch coating) which cost more, but they can still be reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

R2 how do they compare to LA Eyeworks or Oliver Peoples?

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

A friend of mine bought a pair and is quite happy with them. They look good, not fantastic, imho, but they're a great price. I still wouldn't buy a pair of glasses without trying on a bunch of different frames.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

I have two pair of Warby Parker.

Pros: Besides the stylish selection, the customer service is great. They quote 10 days to two weeks to get your glasses but I had mine in 4 days. The packaging is great. Lenses are just what the doctor ordered.

Cons: Frames are from China (expected for the price) and while one pair (a tortoise Winston) is of good quality, the other one (a matte black Owen) seems cheap. And if you have a big head or wider face, know that most of the frames will be small and tight on you. Price of fashion I guess.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

I bought a pair. They felt like $5 sunglass frames and the earpieces were two different lengths. The Chinese are, after all, famous for rigorous quality control.

Go to Costco and get $59 frames.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

Yes. They're perfect.

Like Zappos for glasses.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

I love mine!

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

Warby Parker lets you try on frames. They'll send three pairs to you at a time, you keep them a few days, then mail them back - no shipping charges either way.

I did that and decided they weren't for me, but I still look at the website occasionally to see what they're up to.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

Walmart or Costco are the only places where decent and affordable frames can be found.

One company in Italy controls most of the eye wear market in the US, they own LensCrafter, PearlVision, etc and the company that provides vision coverage for most employers. They also own RayBan and Oakley.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

They are great to work with but had to get my bifocal separately and ended up costing me a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

I've had good luck with Zenni.

And they do bifocals.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

Zenni is great, although their frames can run a little small.

The monopoly that r11 mentions is absurd and controls the prices simply by the name and brand. There is absolutely NO difference in quality between Walmart glasses and a $1000 pair of Prada. They're all made by the same company who comes up with the design and uses the exact same materials and workmanship, they just happen to have licensing approval from the various companies.

I believe it's called Luxor? 60 Minutes did a piece on them. The CEO fully admitted it was a monopoly and scam, gave vague reasons for why they own and control everything, and laughed it off. I mean, they own EVERYTHING.

I love glasses and sunglasses and have spent upwards of thousands on major labels to 5 dollars at Zenni and I've found no difference. In fact, the Zenni has lasted longer in general. Granted, I will go back to Armani and Persol sometimes for the style, but otherwise...

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

I love Warby Parker and have bought several pairs of glasses from them. You can pick out 5 glasses from their website and they'll send them to you postage paid both ways so you can try them on before ordering.

The frames are much better than the Zenni ones, but Zenni is so inexpensive that I don't mind buying a few pairs from them for fun.

I've only had one problem with the optics on mail-order glasses -- it was Zenni, and something was off with the prescription. They took them back.

I ordered this pair from Warby right before New Year's and they arrived yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

They're fantastic. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!