Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Skin care help, please.

I just turned 44 and have noticed white spots on my face, mainly under my cheekbones.

While researching skin care products, I came across something called Bio-oil, which others have used with apparently good results. Have anyone of you ever used this and if so, did it work for you? Also, should I look into those at-home microdermabrasion kits?

My skin isn't overly oily, any oiliness is usually confined to my forehead and nose. I am prone to dryness on the sides of my mouth, my chin and the "apple" area of my cheeks.

Any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2015

OP here Please forgive any typos in the above post. I tried posting my question 3 times from my Nook but it kept rejecting me everytime I tried to save so I had to use my iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2013

What do you mean by white spots? Look up milia and tell us whether that's it. It's a tiny, raised fatty globule that has to be lanced. If it's senile hyperplasia, you're out of luck. They only respond to lasering and they often grow back.

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2013

you should go see a dermatologist. very often even a light peel will revitalize your skin. or they'll give you different options--product, laser, facials, microdermabrasion, etc. In my experience, it's worth it to pay the money and get it done correctly. it's your face after all!

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2013

First: go see a dermatologist, get a real diagnosis.

Second... describe the white spots better. Are they filled with anything, raised, flat, etc?

When I turned around 40 I discovered that what I'd believed were facial flat warts were actually something that I'd never heard of, Sebaceous hyperplasia. After a lot of research, I was able to correctly diagnose myself via the internet and successfully treat myself. Still, see a dermatologist.

(also, I'm vaguely familiar with Bio-oil, they carry it at Costco, but as far as I'm aware it's not a wonder topical)

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2013

Bio Oil is mostly just mineral oil. It's not particularly good for anything. If it's discoloration use topical Vitamin C - between 10-20% concentration

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

Thank you everyone for your replies. The areas that are white aren't raised or filled with anything. It looks exactly like the skin surrounding it, except it's a different color.

I looked up both of your suggestions R2, and it's not that. Thank you for your help, though.

I'm going to take everyone's advice and make an appointment with a dermatologist.

*After doing a Google image search, while not nearly as severe as most of the pictures I'm finding, "hypopigmentation" most resembles what my skin looks like. I'm adding a link to a picture I found but again, my spots aren't as severe or as widespreae as the person's in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

I'd recommend Genifique serum, which retards aging at the genetic level.

This is followed by Absolue Precious Cells, which stimulates stem cell production. Both can be found at your local Lancôme counter or at the Lancôme Boutique on NYC's Upper West Side.

I'm a beautiful young man and intend to stay that way. I've been stunning since I was a boy but I feel that Lancôme is helping me attain perfection.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

R7 Bullshit. Forget that pseudoscience. Tretinoin/Retin-A and Vitamic C are real treatments.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

Can anyone recommend products for really sensitive skin that seems to react to everything?

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

R4 - how did you self- treat your sebaceous hyperplasia? I,too, had these and went to the dermo - twice - and they basically burned them out. My previous insurance covered it, but not sure my current one will.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

I take 40 MG accutane once a week and my hyperplasia is under control. I had been burned, lasered, scraped etc., and they always came back, This very low dose keeps them at bay. For general skin care I am finding avocado oil to be pretty amazing recently.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

R10 - I went on a very low dose accutane regimen, which I'm still on. I played around with various levels (10 mg, even 20mg daily at one point) but currently take only 10mg three days a week, and my skin looks great. The problems with oiliness and blackheads that have plagued me all my life also vanished, pores are smaller, and at this low dose I don't experience the negative aspects that most accutane users do. And the sebaceous hyperplasia is gone, although will probably return if I stop the accutane. I order mine from an overseas pharmacy... The amount I bought for $100 there would have cost me $1500 at the cheapest pharmacy in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

Thanks R4 and R11 ...good to hear ...

R4 are you willing to share your overseas pharm info? Ive never done anything like that and would want to go with a known source/trustworthy.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

sure, R13 -

First, if you're interested in ordering meds from overseas, head over to:

and make sure to check out the forums, where individual overseas pharmacies are discussed and rated, and advice is given about where to get particular meds (like accutane, for example, which is somewhat hard to find):

OK, Second, make sure you are familiar with all the side effects and dangers associated with accutane before you decide to take it. I haven't found anything myself beyond raised triglicerides, but the dangers are real and if you are a woman with any possibility of getting pregnant than you must have birth control, because birth defects are a serious possibility. If I had health insurance and had a dermatologist who was willing to prescribe low dose accutane for hyperplasia, then I would go that route, because you can also get blood tests and liver tests to make sure that there isn't any harm being done that you don't immediately notice.

The first pharmacy that I bought from no longer sells accutane, but I wouldn't buy from them again regardless because they have developed a reputation for fraudulent credit card charges among many people. What I have done is what many people do when buying from overseas and I recommend it: I purchased a pre-paid card from my bank and put the amount of my overseas order on the card (plus a little extra). Then I placed the order online the next day. The card works as a pre-paid visa card and this way you are protected from future fraud against your credit card or bank account. You can also get these kinds of card, I think, at Walmart and other places.

The second pharmacy that I just got my order from last month is:

the ship from Turkey and the medication (roaccutane) is German/Turkish, in Turkish boxes and blisterpacks. Their prices are great. They shipment arrived in two packages (large order) about 4 weeks after my order (which is somewhat long in my experience). One package arrived two days later than the other, and when I emailed them about it they replied the next business day and were very nice, in the end there was no issue just a slight mail delay.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

you are eating too many foods with acid. stay away from lemons, acidic food and drinks, and citrus for a while

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

er... "THEY ship from Turkey..." and "THE shipment arrived..."

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

those overseas pharmacies scare me. that said, i'd love to get my hands on some accutane and Retin A

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

Adrienne and Signature Club A are on HSN now with before/after pics that are impressive with Vitamin C capsules.

Has anyone tried her products?

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

R8 Cosmeceuticals are no joke.

There are several brands with good reputations but I can only vouch for Lancôme.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

R15, don't lemons become alkaline once absorbed by the stomach? I have read that too much acid-producing foods and drinks (like coffee) enlarges pores too.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

[quote] I'm a beautiful young man and intend to stay that way. I've been stunning since I was a boy but I feel that Lancôme is helping me attain perfection.

Well, smell YOU!

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

R21 I realize that may sound conceited but you don't know what my life has been like. My boyhood was Death in Venice, on speed. Everywhere I went, I was stared at by men, especially middle-aged and older. All with that same leering gaze that gave me chills.

The beach, restaurants, stores--nowhere was safe. Beaches and swimming pools were the worst, of course, since I was nearly naked, covered in only short, tight trunks. I could watch them watching me, enigmatic and mysterious behind my dark glasses.

If my admirers were relatively young and very hot, I'd put on a little show for them: langorously and sensually applying sun lotion to my silky, flawless skin. As often as not, their reaction was barely restrained by their own bathing suits.

I bring all this up because it taught me at a young age the power of my breathtaking looks and the importance of preserving them.

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

I had a lot of freckles as a kid and now it looks like I have black eyes. Anyone figure how to lighten brown spots under the eyes?

by Anonymousreply 2304/08/2013

R23 That's what they make dark glasses for. Find a pair of very dark, oversized sunglasses.

You can also try one of the excellent concealers made by Lancôme or Chanel.

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2013

"All with that same leering gaze that gave me chills."

is NOT a grammatically complete sentence. Please go back to the trees to evolve.

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2013

R25 Get your nose out of grammar books and start reaading literature.

You'll realize many writers employ an elliptical construction for effect.

There is absolutely nothing worse than DL "experts" who aren't qualified to teach grade school children.

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2013

Willie Geist said he's been using Oil of Olay since he was a teenager. Anyone else have good results? Which product?

by Anonymousreply 2705/14/2013

R27 I implore you to splurge on the Lancôme products mentioned above for your face/neck area. If there's a bit left in the piggy bank, try Clarins for superb body products.

Be good to yourself, there's only one you!

However if severe financial setbacks make the cost of advanced products prohibitive, some drugstore items will work, too. L'Oréal's Revitalift line of products comes highly recommended. If it's Olay you want to try, I've heard good things about their Regenerist line.

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!