Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My first ever yoga class, and I'm fat

Tomorrow night I bite the bullet and make myself do this. I've always wanted to try yoga and by god, I'm going to. What do I take? Do I need one of those mat thingies or will they give me one?

I plan to just wear loose pants and top. Anything else?

It's just regular yoga for beginners - not anything crazy. But I'm 220 pounds and a little nervous. However I'm down from 320 pounds and do lots of other exercise, so hope this will go well. Any suggestions?

by Chick, not a fraureply 1401/19/2013

No suggestions, but congratulations on the weight loss! As the Brits say, good on you!

by Chick, not a fraureply 101/06/2013

Yoga is really relaxing. I miss it. When I lose more weight I'm sure I'll go back. Anyways, the only advice I can think of is to try to bring your own mat. Sometimes those mats get dirty an you could get ringworm if your gym isn't top-notch. Also, don't worry about farting. You won't fart.

by Chick, not a fraureply 201/06/2013

You might want to wear tighter rather than loose. A shirt you can tuck in or that fits well enough to not raise up when you are in poses like downward facing dog.

It makes it easier to tell if you are doing the moves right also.

Congrats on the -100!

by Chick, not a fraureply 301/06/2013

Wear a tight top. A loose one will ride up during some of the poses. You will be barefoot so make sure your feet are presentable. They will probably have a mat for you but call ahead. Be prepared for the instructor to touch you to correct your form.

by Chick, not a fraureply 401/06/2013

Don't eat Taco Bell a couple hours before your yoga session

by Chick, not a fraureply 501/06/2013

I went for the first time today (guy). Damn, it's not as easy as it looks, but I loved it.

by Chick, not a fraureply 601/06/2013

Don't stand on your head...killer

by Chick, not a fraureply 701/06/2013

I've always wanted to try it too but have been nervous because I'm not in good shape-I've actually never been overweight, I just don't work out at all, ever, and am pretty much a thin lump of dough. Seeing this post is inspiring though. I can refrain from overeating easily, I just can't get off the motherfucking couch, and it's taken a huge toll on my health and energy my whole life. Anyway though, congrats on your loss! Keep on doing what you're doing.

by Chick, not a fraureply 801/06/2013

Yoga is a great workout.

by Chick, not a fraureply 901/06/2013

OP, I'm fat and I have really enjoyed the beginners yoga classes I've been attending the last few months. The instructor will emphasize that you should only push your body as far as is comfortable FOR YOU. As long as you can maintain smooth breaths, then you're doing everything you should be doing-- don't worry whether you're getting the poses "right," or whether you look like your neighbor. Your form will improve with time.

I had been contemplating doing yoga for a while before I finally went. The one thing that always held me back was being self-conscious about my size. However, when I finally pushed myself to join a class, I quickly learned that I was in a safe place where there is no judgement. Now I really look forward to my classes!

I would encourage you to use the mats provided by the studio the first few times. Good yoga mats can be a little pricey, so you shouldn't rush out and buy one before you know you're going to stick with it. Also, take the advice of R4 about proper attire.

Good luck. Enjoy your practice. And congrats to you on the weight loss!

by Chick, not a fraureply 1001/06/2013

OP, you must have missed the orientation directions somewhere, but it is well known that the first yoga class of a session ALWAYS is done in the nude. This not only immediately equalizes everyone, but allows the instructor to have an accurate sense of everyone's needs, right off the bat.

So just relax, and when you get in the door take your clothes off, drop them with your shoes, and walk proudly into the studio and yoga room. Don't worry - they keep them nice and warm.

by Chick, not a fraureply 1101/06/2013

Wash your bits and pits and try not to fart in class.

by Chick, not a fraureply 1201/06/2013

OP, definitely bring a TOWEL and a small WATER bottle. You will sweat a lot, so you will need to wipe yourself and rehydrate. This applies to everyone, regardless of weight.

by Chick, not a fraureply 1301/06/2013

So, OP-- how did it go?

by Chick, not a fraureply 1401/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.