Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have a job interview Wed after a year of unemployment and several dead end interviews

I'm so depressed and lethargic, I'm afriad it's going to show, despite my acting. I'm sick and tired and I struggle to muster the energy and motivation to sell myself. And yes, I'm already medicated and I go to the gym, know good interview techniques,etc. Maybe I need a shot of meth.

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2013

Good luck to you!

Maybe you'll feel more energetic as the day goes on.

by Anonymousreply 101/06/2013

You've come to the right place! Positive energy abounds!

Seriously, good luck...give them the UP version.

by Anonymousreply 201/06/2013

you can do it!

by Anonymousreply 301/06/2013

It's not going to show, OP. You'll do fine.

Sending good luck rays through my computer to you.

by Anonymousreply 401/06/2013

I'm grateful for the well wishes. I'll think of DL during my interview (or maybe not).

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2013

Find a friend or someone that you can do a practice interview if you haven't done one in a while. Have your friend critique you on your energy levels -- it is equally important not to over-do it vs under-do it re: energy and eagernness.

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2013

Check online for a meditation or positive affirmation.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2013

I hate job interviews and I wish I could drink beforehand. I'm so vivacious and happy when I have a couple vodkas in me, it's too bad I can't do that before an interview.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2013

You know, I'm starting to wonder if being nice and smiling during an interview is a bad thing. The next interview I have, I'm going to be a cold bitch with an expresionless face and see what happens just for the hell of it. Because being nice hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2013

R9 - another person in a thread said the exact same thing. He said acting aloof and disinterested always netted him a job but when he expressed interest he never got it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

OMG I am really pulling for u! I got fired last month & am looking for a new job now. best of luck & keep us posted! xo

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2013

Could you link us to that thread, r10?

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2013

Research, research, research... Know that company, know the position, know the jargon, don't just sell yourself... let them know you've done the homework and understand the company intimately. Use the term "hit the ground running". Do all this quietly calmly, maintain eye contact while delivering your answers with each of the interviewees alternately.. blah blah blah

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2013

Sure...down below. I'm trying to understand how one can be aloof/apathetic during an interview without coming across like an asshole. BRB while I plot and scheme.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2013

ps: plz don't take any meth :-)

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2013

Drop a deuce in the restroom afterwards. Extra credit if you peek out at someone through the stall door crack.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2013

Thank you, r14.

I think that aloofness on some people reads as incredibly capable but disinterested in making a scene of it - which is desirable. There is a French word [italic]froideur[/italic] that means an attitude of haughty aloofness or cold superiority. This is a hallmark of some people who get exactly what they want. It plays on the insecurities of the interviewer, even.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2013

Sorry, I didn't explain my inclusion of a French word. When the poster says aloof, he probably wanted to express it like that. The word doesn't translate too well, but aloof to me is too flippant to really describe the affect.

Additionally, I would recommend the OP avoid meth altogether. R6 has good advice.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2013

R10, that has been my experience as well. I have only ever gotten my second-choice jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2013

I'm going to start doing that r17. I too have done the eager beaver thing. I thought it would help by showing how much I wanted to be there. I didn't get the job but now I'm going to pull the aloof act.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2013

Good luck, OP! Let us know what happens....

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

r20, just be yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2201/07/2013

Dont use tired cliches like "hit the ground running" Sound like you just finished reading how to get a job book. People are tired of these even in resumes.

I am naturally aloof, so I am not good at selling my self like most. It actually works in my favor sometimes but in this economy, probably not. Employers know the economy is bad and they act like they are offering some great gift. So dont over sell, you should look interested, but don't turn up your nose like you dont need them. That act only works when they cant get anyone else.

Just try to be your best professional self. If you look comfortable in your own skin, the will pick up on that and feel comfortable hiring you.

by Anonymousreply 2301/07/2013

make sure you work in some jargon like integrated (whatever you're going for), multi-platform, social footprint, etc. Just try to seem a little smarter than the interviewer. Get a lot of sleep the night before too and while prepping is super-important, don't overdo it. I went crazy a few months back knowing the ins and outs of the company and I didn't get hired. Also, one of the bastards in my 3-person interviewer asked me about a time I messed up at work and that kind of threw me, and then when I gave him an example (I really did fuck up an email from my boss by mistakenly cc everyone on it, instead of bc-ing) and that little twerp in the interview room goes, 'it's 2012, we all make email mistakes, I'm not going to accept that as a time when you messed up...you need to dig a little deeper.' Also, I'd suggest drinking an energy drink before hand, but only one you're familiar with. And use moisturizer and lotion because it helps you look alive. Shine your shoes and look confident. You wouldn't have been invited in if they weren't already very interested! Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

R17=Snagglepuss

by Anonymousreply 2501/07/2013

Tell the interviewer that "I'd do anything to get this job".. then gently lean forward, maintaining eye contact, place your hand gently on their hand or knee, and reiterate by saying... "And I mean ANYTHING."

by Anonymousreply 2601/07/2013

R17 -- would channeling Capucine circa 1965 work?

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2013

"There is a French word froideur that means an attitude of haughty aloofness or cold superiority."

I thought 'French' was the word for that.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2013

Search for another job right now: it will take a lot of pressure off your shoulder if you know you have other job interviews in the pipeline, and you won't look desperate for the job - consciously or not. There's another French expression for that: "ne pas mettre ses oeufs dans le même panier", but I think the English one is just the same: don't put all your eggs in the same basket!

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2013

As someone in H/R I can tell you the key to getting hired.

First of all if you send me your resume, 99% of the time, I can tell if you're qualified by what's on it. Otherwise, why would I call you?

So you don't need to waste my time and the hiring manager's time, repeating what I know.

The big thing I look at is this:

Is this the kind of person I am going to enjoy working with on a day to day basis.

I got tons of qualified applicants, all roughly equal with each other, so it's not the qualifications but the person I'm interested in.

If you're not going to add anything positive to the working atmosphere, I don't want to work with you.

The #1 problem. Bad mouthing your former employer. This happens a surprising amount of the time, I'd say close to 75% of the time.

Second biggest problem? Your references don't check. In H/R I'm often only given a week to get checks done. If I call your references and they do not call me back, you're going to be in trouble.

I can't tell you the number of people, I would have liked to hire, but I simply can't get their references to return my calls. I know people are busy but you MUST check on this. You must be certain the people you put on your application as references will return the calls.

If after two times the candidates references don't return my calls, I go to the next candidate.

Before 2007 most of the time I only had one or two good candidates. It was a rare thing to have THREE top qualified candidates.

Now? I have at least ten or fifteen for each position all qualified. So make sure your ducks are lined up in a row or the position you may get will pass you by.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2013

[quote]I got tons of qualified applicants, all roughly equal with each other, so it's not the qualifications but the person I'm interested in.

So basically you want whoever sucks up and kisses your ass the best.

You've confirmed what I've always suspected.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2013

[quote]Is this the kind of person I am going to enjoy working with on a day to day basis.

So it is basically a sorority rush? Why don't you just put that in the ads, Miss HR cunt? Tell people up front that they must satisfy your world view, and if they can manage to squeeze out some work, that will be nice too.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2013

Vitamin D, OP. I am serious. Especially at this time of year, our bodies are deficient in Vitamin D. If you take a supplement it will do wonders for you. U am defibutely more optimistic and energetic. Also look to other aspects of your diet. And don't drink alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2013

Oh look! R34 fits in! Yay R34!

Give r34 a cookie.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2013

R35 That's exactly what I thought!

I just hope that when OP does all of that ass kissing that it actually pays off, otherwise he/she will feel pretty stupid!

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2013

So, 31, 32 and 36, can I conclude that you all go our of your way to interact with people who make you uncomfortable?

Do you choose friends on that basis? Do you enjoy uncomfortable times with your family?

Or, like most human flawed human beings, do you gravitate towards interacting with other people who make you feel comfortable?

I was a bartender for many years and I'm grateful to r30 for reminding me of something I had learned from those years and had forgotten. That is that you can know after interacting with someone only for a few minutes whether they are someone you would like to be around.

And those comfort considerations apply whether in a social or job environment.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2013

Pre-lube.

In all seriousness, what the HR queen said does ring true - most companies are looking for a good fit with the team, someone that will fit into the culture and thrive, while bringing new skills or perspective.

Don't be afraid to show personality and candor. Eye contact, a firm handshake, a confident demeanor all go a long way.

Be prepared to answer... what have you been doing for the last year? How have you kept your skills sharp over that time?

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2013

Best of luck. Confidence is important.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2013

[quote]Be prepared to answer... what have you been doing for the last year? How have you kept your skills sharp over that time?

Because just a minute away from a cube is certain to make you forget everything you've ever learned.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2013

HR guy, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm going to start an HR thread.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2013

Well, what do you know - just today I got scheduled for a job interview next week. As I said earlier, being nice and polite with a smile on my face hasn't gotten me a job, so this time I'm going to have a cold bitch look on my face as if I'm too good for the job and see what happens. Since being nice doesn't seem to work, maybe they want a cold bitch.

Can't wait to test this out!

by Anonymousreply 4201/17/2013

I think right before they call you in, you should lay a deuce in the reception area. If you REALLY want to make an impression, that is.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

Knowing you probably won't get it takes the pressure off. Treat it like a lark, something to do. Pretend you're an actor portraying a really upbeat, dynamic interviewee.

by Anonymousreply 4401/20/2013

Oh shit. I have a job interview next week, and I looked up the people I'll interview with online and one of the interviewers FB page is FILLED with Christian/Fundie shit! I'm fucked, aren't I? Is it even worth going to this interview?

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

r45, is it worth it? You are walking into a goldmine! An uncontrived goldmine ripe for lawsuit when your flaming and swishing ass isn't hired based on discriminatory actions.

That is, IF you are in one of the states where discrimination based on sexuality is illegal. Big if.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

I'm going to try the vitamin d tip. I'm job hunting and so low energy and tired (especially in the morning!) lately I think something must be off.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

R47 All this shit about vitamins giving energy is bullshit. I've been taking 5000 IU a day of Vitamin D for the past month (along with Vitamin C, Zinc, and fish oil capsules) and I don't feel energized at all.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

I posted before in this thread about being aloof and realized that low energy is GOOD. I went to tons of interviews where I was "excited" and had "passion" for the job and never got called back. The interview where I was kind of withdrawn yet professional and barely smiled, I got the job. I think it has something to do with not putting all your cards on the table ...think of being on a date with someone you just met. If they were "excited" and had a lot of "passion" when you just met them, you'd find it kind of weird, kind of creepy. I think there a lot of parallels to dating and interviewing. Wear a poker face.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

Bumping this old thread to ask a question:

I have a job interview coming up at a state university that owns several parking lots. I've interviewed at this place in the past (for another department), and they let me park in one of the school parking lots and gave me a voucher after the interview so that I didn't have to pay.

I didn't get that job, but now I'm interviewing at the same university but in another department, and they said they will not give me a parking voucher and that I will have to pay to park in one of their parking lots or park several blocks away and find my own street parking.

My question is: Doesn't this sound bitchy and fishy? Why is it that you're inviting me in for an interview, but you don't even want to let me park in one of your parking lots with plenty of space for an hour and a half unless I pay? This is especially strange since it didn't happen last time. Also, the woman that set up the interview sounds like a real bitch. Is this a sign that the department must suck or am I overreacting?

by Anonymousreply 5008/21/2013

It means they have a lot of interviews and the bitch is doing math - she hates job applicants.

by Anonymousreply 5108/21/2013

If they treat potential employees that way, wait until you are hired! Hoho!

by Anonymousreply 5208/21/2013

R52 That's what I'm thinking. If they can't even give me a parking voucher to park in THEIR visitor parking lot for free, I wonder if they're real bitches to work for. Also, the woman I've talked to on the phone sounds like a real miserable bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5308/22/2013

Good Luck!

by Anonymousreply 5408/22/2013

R52 Well, you were right. The interviewers were two total cunts, and despite me being completely nice to them and well-qualified for the shitty job, I didn't get it.

But like you said, if they can't even let the people they're interviewing park for free in their parking lots, I'm sure I would've been treated like total shit (that's the vibe I got while interviewing them). And of course, nepotism runs rampant even at state universities - when one of the cunts was introducing me to everyone, one of the people in the department was her sister-in-law (rolling eyes).

So sick of this job hunting shit.

by Anonymousreply 5509/07/2013

OP, hopefully your resume isn't as poorly typed as your first post. Or, hopefully, the jobs you're seeking have nothing to do with typing at all.

The posts about personality are sadly true.

As that white-haired guy on 'Mad Men' said, "Half of failure in this business is 'I don't like you.'

by Anonymousreply 5609/07/2013

Carry yourself well. Sit up straight. Don't slouch. Dress well. Those will do wonders for your attitude. Don't worry about smiling except upon entering or being liked. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 5709/08/2013

Just out of curiosity, what state are we talking about, R55?

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.