Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tommy Mottola Describes How He Abused Mariah Carey In New Memoir

The New York Post got its hands on the new memoir by music honcho Tommy Mottola and the paper's most depressing article today is a long piece detailing all the ways Mottola outlined his abuse of ex-wife and ex-employee, Mariah Carey. Mottola first came into contact with then-18-year-old singer through a mix tape. He might have fallen in love with — and set his sights on making money from — her voice, but he very quickly turned their relationship into a sexually exploitative, controlling and emotionally abusive one.

As the Post explains, Carey had just graduated from high school and was working as a backup singer when Mottola set his sights on her, promising to make her bigger than Madonna and Michael Jackson. But first he made Mariah break up with her boyfriend, who was also her collaborator; he assumed control of all her producers and song writers; and he refused to allow her time off to relax and enjoy her success.

After the couple married, the abuse only worsened. She couldn't collaborate with who she wanted to work with; she was forced to do albums she didn't want to do. In a classic move of isolating her from her friends and family, he relegated her to a home in New York suburbs, which she referred to as "Sing Sing."

The Post describes how at one point early in the relationship, Mottola bragged that his therapist warned him to stay out of Mariah Carey's pants, shrink-ishly pointing out both that he was married and that the singer was basically still a teenager. (She is still basically a teenager, kind of.) Instead, he trotted Carey out on his arm at an awards show where she took home several awards just because he knew his shrink would be watching. This fits perfectly with what we know about abusers: instead of being remorseful, they're actually quite proud of themselves for getting away with it.

The Post quotes directly from Mottola's memoir, Hitmaker, out later this month about how little remorse he feels — nay, he feels justified:

“If it seemed like I was controlling, I apologize. Was I obsessive? Yes. But that was also part of the reason for her success.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3705/01/2014

He may have been a jerk, but the truth is that her best albums were the ones that he oversaw. Look at the shit she puts out now. It all sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 101/06/2013

The only interesting music I ever heard was the stuff she made when she just broke up with him. That pablum before it ruined the the late 80s

by Anonymousreply 201/06/2013

Agreed, R2. I seem to recall that he did not want her to do "Fantasy" with Ol' Dirty Bastard. Her more urban leaning singles in the late 90's were great, particularly "Breakdown", "Honey" and particularly "My All" (Stay For Awhile SoS0 Def remix).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301/06/2013

Sh swears she was a virgin when they married.

LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 401/06/2013

No specific examples of abuse?

by Anonymousreply 501/06/2013

R4 Don't forget how even in the late 2000's, she was STILL claiming that she could count all the men she slept with on one hand (yeah right).

by Anonymousreply 601/06/2013

As much as Mariah flaunts her body, she has never come across as someone who is overtly sexual.

I could believe that she hasn't had many men. Not everyone is Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 701/06/2013

I TOLD you bitches I had problems of my own!!!

by Anonymousreply 801/06/2013

While I easily could believe that she was lying (and had slept with many men), R6, I also wouldn't be surprised if MC was relatively sexually repressed/frigid and her sexual experience was nothing like as suggested by her videos and public image.

by Anonymousreply 901/06/2013

I think all of her music is shit and I don't like her voice. I feel the same way about Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 1001/06/2013

He also tried sabotaging her career after their divorce. Remember, he's the one who briefly oversaw Jennifer Lopez's "singing" career in the late 90's/early 2000's. Several songs and samples that were meant for Mariah went to J-Lo. No, she doesn't have Mariah's vocal prowess, but her team had a knack for creating catchy top-40 songs.

I also read some pretty spooky, unseemly stuff that he had Mariah do as well, but it's mostly hearsay from Lipstickalley, so it's most likely fiction.

I see why Mariah is batshit crazy, he pretty much controlled her life from 18 to her late 20's, when most people are trying to define themselves as adults.

by Anonymousreply 1101/06/2013

Why do you care about how many men Mariah has been with sexually? Many of you have been with thousands of men/tricks/hook-ups and crow about your ways. Double standards abound here at DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2013

I thought Mariah was so pretty and talented when she was with Mottola.

It all went out the window once they divorced. She looks like shit and comes off as a royal bitch.

That's a shame because she has a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

Speaking of Lipstick Alley, what do they mean by "tea"?

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

Do any of you remember the singer called Samantha Cole? She was supposedly signed to be the "next Mariah". There was a story that Mariah was quite upset at this.

Samantha had a great voice (several octaves), but she was no "90's diva".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2013

He wanted her white. She wanted to lean to the black side of her mixed-race heritage. Ever since their split, it is so obvious she would rather identify as black and use urban/hip hop sounds. Interestingly, I know people who went to high school with her in Greenlawn and they said she was a 'guidette' back then; she had big hair and loved guido Italian type guys and had a fetish for Corvettes and Camaros. So she went from trashy white to trashy black.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

I totally believe she was virgin. Is Tommy dying of cancer or something? Trying to confess before he goes out? He basically dropped Cyndi Lauper and fucked up her career in favor of concentrating on Mariah. He seems very damaged and like he damaged Mariah too. Remember when she was high on E and on TRL or something? I want to say Eminem was involved too. Another douchebag. I hope she's happy with Nick Cannon, still hate her music though but I liked her on Cribs.

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

Too bad he's still not beating her ugly big ass.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

Is Mottola still married to the Latin singer? I think her name was Thalia ?

She was a gorgeous woman.

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2013

[quote]Speaking of Lipstick Alley, what do they mean by "tea"?

It means "gossip". I quit going to that site a few years ago because there's so many delusional fangirls on there it's sad.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

Speaking of eminem and Mariah, it was so weird when he said that they dated, and she denied it. For some reason, I believe him. They at least slept together once.

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2013

Considering how fat she got and how her career declined almost as soon as she was out on her own he must feel proud of himself.

by Anonymousreply 2205/01/2014

He must be laughing at this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2305/01/2014

Who was her boyfriend that Tommy made her break-up with?

by Anonymousreply 2405/01/2014

Controlling behavior is literally abuse, yes, but is not what we generally talk about when we refer to an abused spouse.

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2014

Wow, I feel so bad that he plucked her out of obscurity and made her incredibly rich and successful.

by Anonymousreply 2605/01/2014

None of her post divorce albums were any good.

by Anonymousreply 2705/01/2014

I wonder what kind of hell his current wife, the former Latin star Thalia, is going through.

by Anonymousreply 2805/01/2014

[quote]Why do you care about how many men Mariah has been with sexually?

Because it contradicts everything Mariah has claimed since day one.

by Anonymousreply 2905/01/2014

Mariah's songs when she was with Mottola were dreck. I lived through that era and I can't turn the dial fast enough when they're on. Not even a sense of nostalgia. Her post breakup album was great and she was at least interesting. Tommy is a nutcase. No wonder Mariah drinks.

by Anonymousreply 3005/01/2014

I told you Tommy Mottola was the devil!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3105/01/2014

R4 Blowing guys and anal are considered being a virgin by her flighty generation so perhaps she was a "virgin."

R16 That bit of info was posted in her yearbook which was circulated on the the internet. She did in fact like guidos and did have a so-called "cougine" hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 3205/01/2014

Why was he so obsessed with her? Her talent? She's not that beautiful or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3305/01/2014

[quote] Mariah's songs when she was with Mottola were dreck.

There's nothing dreck about "Vision of Love," "Fantasy," "Always Be My Baby," "Dreamlover" and others. Those are great Pop/R&B tunes. "Hero" and "One Sweet Day" is dreck.

I agree she got interested post-divorce, but that's also the time when her voice started to decline. Without the voice intact her music loses its sheen (despite her campy, nutty lyrics filled with sly double-entendres). She did have a nice triumph with the badly titled "The Emancipation of Mimi," but everything after that has been total garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3405/01/2014

He described how he would push her down in the closet and beat her with wire hangers and scream I made you YOU FAT LITTLE MOO-RIAH COW-RY. Lol. Admit it that's what you want to read...

by Anonymousreply 3505/01/2014

I liked a few of her post Motolla songs. THis one is a very guilty pleasure of mine. Probably because I'm such a whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3605/01/2014

Wow. All those Blind items at the time we're true. There were quite a few about how he kept her a virtual prisoner (although in a huge mansion) and tried to keep her away from other men.

by Anonymousreply 3705/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!