Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Heath Ledger - This month is the 5-year anniversary of his death

Died in January 2008 at the age of 28 in Manhattan.

Discuss where you were 5 years ago this month and what your thoughts were at the time you heard the news.

by Jake G.reply 6002/11/2013

[quote]Discuss where you were 5 years ago this month and what your thoughts were at the time you heard the news.

I thought, "I have [italic]got[/italic] to start running better background checks on my tenants."

by Jake G.reply 101/06/2013

My first thought: would it be in poor taste to keep that poster on our head board?

by Jake G.reply 201/06/2013

I read it on Datalounge and remember instantly thinking it was drugs b/c he was losing his looks like a street junkie. I was sad. I still am.

by Jake G.reply 301/06/2013

My second thought was, "I have [italic]got[/italic] to stop giving my cell phone number to that cleaning lady."

by Jake G.reply 401/06/2013

I really think his death was accidental.

"I can't sleep - I'll take this pill"

"I still can't sleep - let's try this one"

Combined with other meds he was taking anyway, and the combination stopped his heart.

Case closed. I really don't think he wanted to die.

by Jake G.reply 501/06/2013

I don't think he wanted to die, either. His immune system might have been compromised from feeling sick, and he was mixing medication with drugs. It was stupid of him.

by Jake G.reply 601/06/2013

I realized that he was probably drawing on his own personal demons to play the Joker and I was glad he had at least lived to see it's box office success and critical acclaim. Just a tiny march of days later he would be nominated for best actor.

by Jake G.reply 701/06/2013

I remember getting an email from my mom about his death that afternoon on my phone. In fact, I remember the phone I had that year. I had decided against the first-generation iPhone because it didn't have 3G capabilities and instead bought this brick (that seemed beyond fabulous at the time), not realizing that it was only suited for European 3G frequencies not in use in the US. So I was still stuck on EDGE and could have gotten the iPhone anyway.

by Jake G.reply 801/06/2013

How rude!

by Jake G.reply 901/06/2013

Overrated and 100x more in death. However, I will love him for causing the hysteria on DL over his death. Those posts made me cry with laughter. Who can forget the fan fiction that came out of here.

"Hello, I am Mrs. Heath Ledger..."

by Jake G.reply 1101/06/2013

Actually, I'm still upset about his death. I know that's weird.

by Jake G.reply 1201/06/2013

I was not surprised.

by Jake G.reply 1301/06/2013

[quote]I read it on Datalounge

I remember at the time it was a huge event here with many long threads. It was a code-blue meltdown because Heath was a big name here in those days.

by Jake G.reply 1401/06/2013

why are you all trying to turn this guy into some kind of legend?

by Jake G.reply 1501/06/2013

He was a damn good actor. He was attractive and say what you will but it was fucking brave of him to do Brokeback Mountain. He could've done so much more.

by Jake G.reply 1601/06/2013

um, because he was hot and played gay. Like, duh.

by Jake G.reply 1701/06/2013

R15, I don't think we're trying to turn him into anything - he already is a legend in the eyes of many people, and has a place in film history and an Oscar now.

by Jake G.reply 1801/06/2013

He's no more of a "legend" than River Phoenix, but his death was much more recent and he starred in a landmark gay movie. So someone started a 5-year anniversary thread, big deal.

by Jake G.reply 1901/06/2013

I liked him and certainly felt bad for him, but you would have thought a head of state passed. People bitched about Michael Jackson's death being a circus, but Ledger's memorial went on for almost a year.

I remember when THE DARK KNIGHT came out and a columnist printed that he thought people were going overboard with grief. The guy got a lot of shit thrown his way.

by Jake G.reply 2001/06/2013

So r20, he was throwing a lot of shit at the mourners. If you dish it out, you better be able to take it.

by Jake G.reply 2101/06/2013

My thoughts were: what a waste. He was so young and he really was very talented. I think his death was an accident. He was sick, run down, wanted to sleep, so he took a handful of pills and the combination killed him. I don't think he was a hopeless drug addict, as he's been portrayed here on Datalounge. I don't think he was any more of a drug user than many other young actors.

I remember after he died it was discovered that he hadn't updated his will to include his daughter. Dataloungers were besides themselves with outrage: the heartless, inhuman bastard! Why, he's left his little girl penniless! He must surely be burning in hell for that unforgiveable transgression! Well, as it turned out, his little Mathilda got virtually ALL of his estate. She's a millionare several times over and no doubt that will increase over the years. When she comes of age, she will be filthy rich and never have to work a day in her life if she so chooses. So much for the plight of poor little Mathilda Ledger.

by Jake G.reply 2201/06/2013

His is one of only celebrity deaths I can remember that really affected me. I was very sad for the loss of his amazing talent at such a young age.

by Jake G.reply 2401/06/2013

[quote]I remember after he died it was discovered that he hadn't updated his will to include his daughter. Dataloungers were besides themselves with outrage: the heartless, inhuman bastard! Why, he's left his little girl penniless! He must surely be burning in hell for that unforgiveable transgression!

This never happened.

by Jake G.reply 2501/06/2013

If he looked like the love child of Bruce Vilanch adn Rhea Pearlman, would anyone care (well, except maybe Danny Devito, giggles)?

by Jake G.reply 2601/06/2013

I was actually much more affected by the death of Brad Renfro, who died the week before Heath, and whose death was overshadowed by Ledger.

by Jake G.reply 2701/06/2013

I think Ruth McClanahan's death had the most impact on me. I remember bawling for days and days. I was a mess, and had to take a personal day at work. I went to bed for two weeks after with her autobiography by my side. I'd met her the year before at a book signing, and she was incredibly nice and gracious and full of joie de vive. I still become a sobbing mess when I think about her or catch her on GG or Maude.

by Jake G.reply 2801/06/2013

It made me really think about my heavy drug use at the time. Pills, Clouds,Booze...it was horrible.

He kinda got me to fix my life.

by Jake G.reply 2901/06/2013

That's rather off-topic though, r28. Rue lived a long life, that's no comparison to someone who had their whole life and career ahead of them.

by Jake G.reply 3001/06/2013

"This never happened."

Oh, yes it did. I remember it well, because it seemed so stupid. There were quite a few posts on how cruel it was that he didn't update his will (he was only 28; I guess he thought he had plenty of time left to do that), and how that poor little girl would end up with nothing. I commented that her mother Michelle Williams was quite well off, and even THAT was disputed. There was a lot of truly irrational hatred for Heath Ledger back then.

by Jake G.reply 3101/06/2013

Was it ever really determined why an Olson twin was called, and who's drugs were actually in his system?

by Jake G.reply 3201/06/2013

R30, Rue was actually only in her mid-70's, and was the youngest of the Golden Girls to die. The rest have all lived longer than that.

I understand how R28 feels.

by Jake G.reply 3301/06/2013

Only r33? That's a full life span, she was a half century older than Heath.

by Jake G.reply 3401/06/2013

[quote]who's drugs

Oh, dear.

And yes, about half a dozen different prescription medications were found in his system.

by Jake G.reply 3501/06/2013

I recall the NY times reviewer of BBM compared his performance to the best of Brando. While I wouldn't go that far, I do think he deserved the Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffmann for "Capote."

And yeah, I remember the death threads. Some of the quips about Mary Kate Olson were lol funny.

by Jake G.reply 3601/06/2013

R21 Those mourners were going as far as to blame Michelle Williams for what happened because she "abandoned" him and refused to let him see her daughter (being a hardcore drug addict was apparently not a big deal). And the hysterics and outrage over Jake Gyllenhaal refusing to speak about Heath.

It got insane.

by Jake G.reply 3701/06/2013

Michelle Williams got deliberately knocked up by him immediately in the relationship. Normal people ask their lovers to use condoms, but you know not her, and obviously Heath was always a drug addict.

I don't think he was a great actor, and I think the Joker was cartoony and awful, and actually, I think he was terrible in it.

I think he gave one good performance in his life & that was in A Knight's Tale.

Then there was a hysterical fangurl on DL that was just over-the-top and cray cray. Probably the same person that started this thread. And gurl, yes she is one.

by Jake G.reply 3801/06/2013

It was shocking news when Heath died, because that was that last thing I would ever hear of Heath. Now, I ball more when I see Brokeback Mountain.

by Jake G.reply 3901/06/2013

[quote]I was actually much more affected by the death of Brad Renfro, who died the week before Heath, and whose death was overshadowed by Ledger.

Brad wasn't that famous, and he was known to abuse drugs.

by Jake G.reply 4001/06/2013

[quote]I recall the NY times reviewer of BBM compared his performance to the best of Brando. While I wouldn't go that far, I do think he deserved the Oscar over Phillip Seymour Hoffmann for "Capote."

Totally agree.

by Jake G.reply 4101/06/2013

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Jake G.reply 4201/06/2013

r38, why do you absolve him of the responsibility of using a condom? Any man who wants to avoid impregnating their partner should take full responsibility for the prevention of doing so.

You type crazy.

by Jake G.reply 4301/06/2013

[quote]I realized that he was probably drawing on his own personal demons to play the Joker and I was glad he had at least lived to see it's box office success and critical acclaim. Just a tiny march of days later he would be nominated for best actor.

Maybe you're on drugs. He died January 8, 2008 while the film was in post production. "The Dark Night" wasn't released until July 18 2008 and the Academy Awards weren't until February 2009 in which he won Best Supporting, not best Actor. He didn't live to see any of it.

[quote]Michelle Williams got deliberately knocked up by him immediately in the relationship. Normal people ask their lovers to use condoms, but you know not her, and obviously Heath was always a drug addict.

You do realize these are complete strangers to you and you have no idea what you're talking about, right? How creepy.

by Jake G.reply 4401/06/2013

The minute I heard about his death, I wondered who would tell Mary Kate Olson. Everyone knew about the special connection.

by Jake G.reply 4501/06/2013

I was standing in line in a coffee shop near my apartment when CNN announced his death on the tv that was in the shop. Heath Ledger and I were very close in age, and myself and the other people in the shop who were roughly my age were stunned. People who were older than us kind of just shrugged and a couple of women in their 40's didn't know who he was. His death was a big deal to a lot of people of my generation. I was stunned because there had never been any drug stories about him in the press and his drug abuse wasn't public knowledge at the time.

by Jake G.reply 4601/06/2013

R29, It's nice to read something positive coming out Ledger's death. Congrats to you.

by Jake G.reply 4701/06/2013

If his death affected just one person to reexamine their drug dependence then perhaps it was worth it.

by Jake G.reply 4801/06/2013

I actually went over to the building where he died after I got off of work that night. It's only a couple of blocks from my office. It was a total circus.

by Jake G.reply 4901/06/2013

No, I'd rather a hundred dead junkies than lose the talent that Heath Ledger had.

by Jake G.reply 5001/06/2013

The Olsen twins are as disgusting as Justin Bieber and Tim Tebow.

by Jake G.reply 5101/06/2013

I can second R29's story. Got off benzos that month.

by Jake G.reply 5201/06/2013

That's great, r52.

by Jake G.reply 5301/07/2013

[quote]Brad wasn't that famous, and he was known to abuse drugs.

Brad wasn't as famous when he died, but he had been a top teenage star in his younger years. He was a lead actor in many films whether it was opposite Ian McKellen in "Apt Pupil" or whether it was the title role in the Oscar-nominated "The Client".

by Jake G.reply 5401/07/2013

The Death of Heath and Renfro shocked me extremly!

When I watch on every 22.Jan. Heath Films I always feel his Present and his film like Brokeback Candy and others always end tragic.

Heath is like Brokeback on the end of the film of Brokeback Mountain; This Photo which shows the Brokeback and gives Ennis all the Memorys about Brokeback. I always try to keep nice memorys in Mind.

But I think he was 28 and old enough to know. If u take OXYCODONE + HYDROCODONE + VALIUM + .. + .. + ... (6 different hard PILLS!!!)

Pills over Pills u have to know, that u can die and i dont believe it was accidental.

by Jake G.reply 5502/11/2013

I miss Brad Renfro. I didn't really feel connected to Heath.

by Jake G.reply 5602/11/2013

I remember being quite shocked. He was someone I truly admired. And I loved him in BBM.

There had been vague talk about his drug use, but it was no Lohan type thing.

I think the guy suffered from a serious anxiety disorder.

by Jake G.reply 5702/11/2013

My aunt called me. "You'll never guess who died today."

"Please don't tell it's Britney. Please don't."

Of course, Britney had been going through a nightmarish breakdown at the time, being stalked by the paps in LA. I was psychologically disturbed by footage I'd seen of her with her puppy on the sidewalk. It's almost as if there was a sense of impending doom in the air - and I'm talking about in relation to the culture of celebrity, the price of fame etc. When my aunt said it was Heath though, the knot in my stomach was not relieved. I was appalled, especially because he was so wise beyond his years as a screen persona. It actually reminded me of River Phoenix, although he was a bit before my time. These people who get success in their teens or 20s are just not prepared for it.

by Jake G.reply 5802/11/2013

I dont remember what I was doing but chances are I thought the same thing whenever a celebrity ODs. "Yawn. How lame and unoriginal".

by Jake G.reply 5902/11/2013

I saw a Interview in the (maybe) German documetation:

Too young too die - Heath Ledger, den die Götter liebten on arte.tv

There was his father Kim talking about Heath. He tells about the last Christmas Eve on 2007 with Heath where he saw Heath last.

I never saw this interview anywhere else and you see Heath's Joker Book where he posted on last side. "BYE BYE"

Watch this documentation its very intresting, but i dont know if it in englisch availible.

by Jake G.reply 6002/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.