Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can we please just let them secede?

Republican Party divide increasingly a matter of region

As Washington's budget battles show, a divide in the GOP between its Southern base and the rest of country is widening.

WASHINGTON — The budget battles rocking the capital have exposed a deepening fault line within an already fractured Republican Party: the divide between the GOP's solid Southern base and the rest of the country.

That regional split became evident when members of the House of Representatives cast votes last week on a budget deal designed to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts: Almost 90% of Southern Republicans voted against the "fiscal-cliff" compromise. At the same time, a majority of Republican representatives from outside the South supported the deal, which was approved in large part because of overwhelming Democratic support.

(read the rest at the link)

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

The South has always been an irredeemable backwater and will continue on this path of darkness.For every Lyndon Johnson or Bill Clinton that comes along, there are millions of Mike Huckabees.

by Anonymousreply 101/06/2013

If the next Democratic nominee in 2016 is Hillary, it's possible that she might be able to win back some Southern states like Arkansas that haven't voted Democratic since the Bill Clinton days, but otherwise it may be a lost cause trying to get them back.

by Anonymousreply 201/06/2013

There are some bright spots here and there, and there is always the hope for change. But a lot of it is backwards antigay Jesus-land with a lot of guns and not a lot of brains.

by Anonymousreply 301/06/2013

And to think we had the chance to tell them bye bye forever but then thought the Civil War was a better idea.

by Anonymousreply 401/06/2013

Hillary Clinton could probably win Arkansas. Polling from 2008 shows she would have beaten McCain there.

Possibly could win Georgia since Barack Obama finished a strong 2nd there and Bill won the state once.

Not sure about Tennessee, Kentucky or West Virginia. Bill won those states twice, but it's been downhill in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 501/06/2013

The South is part of Latin America these days, not North America.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2013

These days, when I visit Mississippi, Alabama or rural Louisiana, I practically feel like I'm in Oaxaca!

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2013

Actually, with those three areas, he probably feels like he's in Benin, R7.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2013

If we let the South secede, can we keep southern Florida (up to Orlando)?

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2013

R9 Oh, Charlie, it's always "just the tip" with you, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2013

But shouldn't we keep Virginia too? It's voted for Obama twice in a row now, and might vote for the next Democratic nominee too.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

A bump, for discussion.

Wouldn't we all like to be split into smaller countries?

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

No, R12, we would not all like to be split into smaller countries.

What a stupid fucking idea and how cruel to abandon decent Americans in states who will take away their rights and fuck them over so hard they'll never recover from it.

President Lincoln was a lot smarter than you are and preserving the Union was the right thing to do.

No to secession then, no to secession now, no to secession forever.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

I live in Alabama. I've lived here most of my life. It's a mess, and it will always be a mess.

It's astonishing to me that anyone would vote for a party that is run by politicians from the deep South.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

WW for R10!

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

R16 = trolling as hard as he can troll.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

I am from Arkansas. Hillary has ice water in her veins and is a big NWO advocate.

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

I don't think Hillary would win Arkansas. After leaving the White House, both Clintons bolted for NY. It's pretty obvious they used Arkansas as a springboard for the White House and had no intention of returning.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

The civil war never ended.

by Anonymousreply 2105/20/2013

How soon would they go back to having slaves if the USA let them secede this time? I'd like the South to resecede, but I don't want anyone to suffer. And if they get into office in the USA, they'd reinstitute slavery throughout the country.

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.