Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sam Cooke

I was listening to some old stuff today and came across that beautiful classic song Change Is Gonna Come by the late, great Sam Cooke. Man could he sing a heartfelt soulful song. It is about the Civil Rights movement and hearing him, you could hear the hope in his voice for that change. Seal and Luther Vandross made their own wonderful renditions of this, but the original is still the best. Gives me the chills every time I hear it. Thanks Sam for showing us how it is done.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013

Truly one of the greatest singers ever:

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

what the hell does that have to do with sam cooke?

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

I love Solomon Burke's version.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

r2, Jackie Wilson was gay.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

I thought Patti laBelle was gay.

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

I thought Marvin was Gaye.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Patti LaBelle also wrote in her biography that Wilson once tried to force himself on her as she waited backstage to meet him after one of his performances, in her teenage years.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

Someone needs to make a movie about Sam Cooke. He came to an ugly demise and his life was interesting. If BET had the balls it would finance a mini series on his life.

That man could sing. But he really wanted to be a crooner like Sinatra, singing standards, doing Vegas. But maybe Vegas only had room for Sammy.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

agreed R9

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

Again, look up Jackie Wilson's life on wikipedia. The two lived parallel lives.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

Poor Patti, it sounds like that was really hard for her.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

R9, I'll cosign to that. Sam is my favorite Mel singer, who deserves to be up on the big screen, forget BET small screen.

Plus, not only did he want to be a crooner, he wanted to something like Berry Gordy.

He started his own label and he own his music, until that heifer of a wife of his sold it upon his death.

For those of you who do not know, Sam's wife slept and later married his under-aged protege Bobby Womack. I believe they were carrying on when he was 16, and Bobby even wore Sam's suit at his funeral.

Watching Bobby on Unsung, I don't dislike him anymore, because he was young and sprung. Plus, the public punished him by boycotting his music.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

In fairness, r13, it's not like Cooke was the epitome of faithful, either.

I have a lot of respect for him for telling the industry to shove it--he knew what he had.

That's why I was also so pissed off when I read how it ended. Senseless waste of potential; he could've had the next Motown.

The bio I read was harsh but fair, and the only conspiracy people believed at the time was that he was set up by a hooker. There was no mention of a white conspiracy until later.

It was only afterward that it was sanitized.

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

So, I'm not very familiar with the rumors - what really happened compared to what people said happened?

by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2013

I absolutely adore this song. If you read the lyrics, there are so many political issues both within the black and white communties - in this song - that makes it so poignant:

"I was born by the river in a little tent Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since. It's been a long, a long time coming, but I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die, cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky, it's been a long, a long time coming But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.

I go to the movie and I go downtown somebody keep telling me don't hang around. It's been a long, a long time coming, but I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.

Then I go to my brother And I say brother help me please But he winds up knockin' me Back down on my knees

Ohhhhhhhhh.....

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long. but now I think I'm able to carry on, it's been a long, a long time coming But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will"

The song was important enough to have its own Wiki page...

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

One of the greatest male singers. Touch the Hem of his garment, Steal away, Win your love for me, That's where it's at (with Lou Rawls), Just for you. Just to name some of hidden gems. The guy was amazing and had to die is such a horrible way. I always thought there was some conspiracy going on. Maybe he was too good and he was getting too big.

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

R13 When I listen to Bobby Womack sing "I wish he didn't trust me so much" I always thought he was singing about Sam Cooke.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

I love Sam Cooke and think "A change is Gonna come" is one of the greatest and most important songs of all time.

Not only for social and political reasons, it just permeates the soul. I think it is a genius work.

I have many versions of this song, but Sam Cook always wins out. I am a musician, and a good one. My friends and I talk about this song often.

Here is Tina Turner and the great Robert Cray on guitar. Serious soulful chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2013

R13, explain what a Mel singer is.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

R20 That would be my late night typo. I type fast to get out my thoughts. Check out the time I wrote that. I'm lucky it's somewhat coherent.

R14 What do you mean by this?

[quote]It was only afterward that it was sanitized.[/quote]

R19 First time I heard Tina cover Sam. Funny, how many can try but none can conquer his renditions.

I think Al Green comes really, really close, though.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2013

I agree, R13 re the big screen but I just think these days a miniseries on tv would be better able to touch on many things about Sam. BET would be saddled with ad content so SHO or HBO would be better.

Bobby Womack is now in the arms of Alzheimer's, it would seem. That's too bad.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2013

Now, I would love a Showtime or HBO biopic, but not BET.

The whole world needs to see how great he was. Sometimes, I wonder how lesser talents made it to the big screen, like Frankie Valens, La Bamba.

Not to say anything bad about Frankie, but he only had one hit and died young.

I liked his story, but. . . there's more with Sam.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

r15, etc.

The early rumours from black people in the industry and around him were the prostitute & her pimp set him up. The manager of the motel was actually the pimp, and got a cut of the proceeds. According to one theory, people said they straight up shot him, robbed at gunpoint after his clothes were off, but before sex. Either she panicked and shot, or he tried to get the gun.

The other theory that he caught the hooker trying to rob him after sex, and the pimp heard the fight and came in armed. After that, again the details get murky re: struggle, etc.

Complicating this were people who did know him, who basically said he's Sam Cooke FFS, he's not paying for it. Others also stated, some publicly, that Cooke was not violent, especially towards women.

Once the story was public, everyone went to their respective Stereotype Corner: brave female worker defending another woman's life and honour from the Wild, Raping Negro; a black community just shocked! this Sanctified community pillar and music legend was even in this area of town-why, he must have been lost!

The race theory, that the white powers that be murdered him because he was a threat to their control of and revenue from black artists came later.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

That's Ritchie Valens and he also did Oh Donna.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

He was a handsome, gifted singer, a major talent.

He died one of the most stupid, senseless, unnecessary deaths in rock history. Shot to death by some hag hotel manager after he tried to chase down a cheap hooker who'd try to roll him. If only he hadn't picked up that hooker...what a stupid way to die.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

Amen, r26.

It also bothered me that he died alone.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

Just a side note:

I read Sam's bio, and he loved him some loose women. It didn't necessarily say prostitutes, but. . .

With that noted, you would think he would be careful with his wallet around them.

Which makes me think, well there might have been something to those conspiracies.

I read something online that stated that Sam love all women and knocked up a few. It didn't say that in the bio I read (You Send Me) other than Barbara, whom he had a child by and later married after he divorced Dee Dee.

Below is an interesting link about his whoring ways. Regardless, I still love me some Sam.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.