Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Movies From the Warner Archives

Your thoughts?

Which ones did you like or dislike?

I liked Two on a Guillotine and My Blood Runs Cold. Fun 60s camp.

by Joey Heathertonreply 4404/04/2015

I saw "Mary Mary" on Saturday Night at the Movies about 45 years ago. I'd sort of like to see it again, but I have a feeling that it probably isnt any good.

by Joey Heathertonreply 101/05/2013

Too Much Too Soon - Dorothy Malone as Diana Barrymore, unfortunate daughter of John Barrymore, played by Errol Flynn a year before he died, from 1958. Dot runs the gamut here starting as a teenager and ending a raddled wreck. Theres hunky men too - Ray Danton as that nasty tennis coach.

Youngblood Hawk - an early 60s delight, with James Franciscus (in the Troy Donahue part) and Suzanne Pleshette, Mary Astor etc. Another Delmer Daves sudser, it looks good in black and white. 1964.

Night Watch - dreadful but entertaining early 70s shocker re-uniting Liz Taylor (dig her fancy clothes!) and Laurence Harvey, who died shortly after. 1973

by Joey Heathertonreply 201/06/2013

I love, love, love TWO ON A GUILLOTINE!!!

by Joey Heathertonreply 301/06/2013

I bought "Eye of the Devil" with Deborah Kerr, David Niven, Sharon Tate, and (sigh!) David Hemmings. Nowhere near "The Innocents" or even "The Wicker Man", but it's beautifully photographed and atmospheric. The transfer looks pretty good.

I'm thinking of also buying "Wild, Wild Planet" and "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" with Gordon Scott.

by Joey Heathertonreply 401/06/2013

"Julie" with Doris Day is great silly fun!

by Joey Heathertonreply 601/06/2013

"The Cool Ones"

by Joey Heathertonreply 901/06/2013

OP, I just bought the 2 Maisie dvd collections during there last sale but I have not watched them yet.

I saw a fascinating curio called MEN IN WHITE starring Clark Gable and Myrna Loy. Abortion was an unspoken but dealt with in the film, which was harmed by coming out right after the Hays Code was put in place.

by Joey Heathertonreply 1001/06/2013

MEN IN WHITE won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama--I think theGroup Theatre produced it.

by Joey Heathertonreply 1101/06/2013

I've been thinking about picking up "Ada" starring Susan Hayward. Has anyone seen this before?

by Joey Heathertonreply 1201/06/2013

They're having a buy 5 DVDs for $45 sale going on now until 1/14.

by Joey Heathertonreply 1401/10/2013

Yeah its trash but damn I loved it. Used to watch it all the time as kid

by Joey Heathertonreply 1501/10/2013

I might have to pick up The Phantom Tollbooth. Absolutely loved that as a kid.

by Joey Heathertonreply 1601/10/2013

My pleasure!

In my shopping cart right now:

Julie Night Watch Phantom Tollbooth Ada A Stolen Life

by Joey Heathertonreply 1901/13/2013

Is "The Cool Ones" widescreen? It was shot is superwide Panawhatever but the TV prints always show the credits wide and then zoom into pan and scan, even the TCM showings...

by Joey Heathertonreply 2001/13/2013

They are having a 5 movies for $50 sale that runs until Sept.9th.

I just bought Brainstorm, Hysteria, Girl of the Streets, Mister Buddwing, and A Covenant With Death (starring homos George Maharis and Earl Holliman)

by Joey Heathertonreply 2109/06/2013

I thought I was the only one who loved "Julie", it's probably my favorite DD movie (along with Young At Heart). Love the main title theme song and the rest of the score.

by Joey Heathertonreply 2209/06/2013

The Fuck Machine (aka Demon Seed)

by Joey Heathertonreply 2309/06/2013

They have Let's Scare Jessica to Death (I know some DLers were discussing it recently)

by Joey Heathertonreply 2409/06/2013

I'm also a huge "Julie" fan. It's one of the oldest camp classics. But unlike Doris Day, I wouldn't mind being chased around by a psycho husband if he looked as hot as Louis Jourdan does in the movie.

Here's a hillarious review of the movie.

by Joey Heathertonreply 2509/06/2013

r25, that site is awesome. Thanks for linking to it!

by Joey Heathertonreply 2609/06/2013

I'm with R26, I love that stuff, thanks R25.

Well, at least Doris Day got Carmel out of "Julie". I still love the movie (and the "sappy" theme song).

by Joey Heathertonreply 2709/07/2013

The Whisperers. Edith Evans' great performance. Chapman Report, a camp classic. Jane Fonda! Glynis Johns! Claire Bloom! Ty Hardin! Shelly Winters!

by Joey Heathertonreply 2809/07/2013

I've just ordered a Clint Walker (I almost wrote Eastwood!) western "Yellowstone Kelly" which has an intriguing scene with Clint and Edd Byrnes sharing their log cabin in the wilderness ... Clint gets to display his impressive chest, as he does in those other Warner westerns 'Ford Dobbs' and 'Gold of the 7 Saints' - more homoerotic fun with a young Roger Moore ! Cant wait.

by Joey Heathertonreply 2909/07/2013

Clint Walker was soooo hot

by Joey Heathertonreply 3009/07/2013

I lot of their MOD titles were available as legit pressed DVDs at one time. You can find original versions of both "Demon Seed" and "Let's Scare Jessica To Death," for example, from amazon marketplace sellers or on ebay for about the same price as these "new" made-on-demand discs.

by Joey Heathertonreply 3109/08/2013

I watched Winter Meeting, one of Bette Davis's late 40s films. Her friend in the movie is played by John Hoyt and the character is SO OBVIOUSLY GAY even though they couldn't say it back then. He's clearly her "gay bestie" - I'm surprised they didn't have a clip of this in The Celluloid Closet

I bought Diane with Lana Turner and The Wild North with Stewart Granger and Cyd Charisse but I haven't watched them yet

by Joey Heathertonreply 3212/12/2013

THE SORCERERS (67). Raddled Karloff and Catherine Lacey, as his vicious old cunt of a wife, live vicariously through hot swingin' Ian Ogilvy in a seedy psychedelic London. 23 year-old Micahel Reeves put everybody through their paces, before killing himself a year later. Made for about 1000 pounds. And must be seen to be believed.

by Joey Heathertonreply 3312/12/2013

R33, that sounds like a scream.

Has anyone bought any of the "Forbidden Hollywood" collections?

by Joey Heathertonreply 3412/13/2013

The MGM "Crime Does Not Pay" shorts collection is fun

by Joey Heathertonreply 3506/29/2014

The Walking Stick (1970) is a very good film. Recently got a copy and it was better than I remembered.

I was disappointed with Bad Ronald (I know, blasphemy)-but I'm not American so I guess I didn't 'get it' or at least had no childhood memories of it.

by Joey Heathertonreply 3606/29/2014

Great thread! As soon as they hit sale mode (new releases are usually exempt) I am getting those obscure Greer Garson and John Garfield films! Plus the interesting-sounding MEN OF THE FIGHTING LADY, in proper widescreen

by Joey Heathertonreply 3706/29/2014

[quote]THE SORCERERS (67). Raddled Karloff and Catherine Lacey, as his vicious old cunt of a wife, live vicariously through hot swingin' Ian Ogilvy in a seedy psychedelic London.

& this is the antiques shop he works in...

by Joey Heathertonreply 3806/29/2014

Clip from The Walking Stick.

by Joey Heathertonreply 3906/29/2014

The Rain People is good

by Joey Heathertonreply 4007/15/2014

I hope they have "Miranda." Glynnis Johns, one of my all-time faves, plays a mermaid. Quelle hoot!!!

by Joey Heathertonreply 4107/16/2014

The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse ( 1960) Glenn Ford, Charles Boyer, Yvette Mimieux, and Swedish actress Ingrid Thulin who was so difficult to understand, her lines were dubbed by..... Angela Lansbury. Directed by VIncente Minnelli.

Night Watch. Elizabeth Taylor in a thriller that worked better on stage with Joan Hackett. Laurence Harvey in his final screen appearance

Show Boat ( 1936). Irene Dunn, Helen Morgan. Vastly superior to the 50's MGM Technicolor remake.

Any Wednesday Jane Fonda, Jason Robards, Dean Jones in film version of stage comedy sex farce.

by Joey Heathertonreply 4207/16/2014

I ordered The Hour of 13 (with Peter Lawford) and Wicked, Wicked.

by Joey Heathertonreply 4304/04/2015

by Joey Heathertonreply 4404/04/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!