Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

29 Albums that are now 20 Years Old

Can you believe it?

Share you memories of any of these albums and how they might have affected your life.

by Anonymousreply 5201/07/2013

Is this a baby gay thing?

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Page takes 20 years to load.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

r2, who is your internet provider, so I know to avoid them?

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

I enjoy music tremendously, but albums do not "affect my life," frankly.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

In Utero. Wow. I was a freshman in high school in 1993 and I listen to that CD over and over and over. I know every word by heart.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

I was in high school when the "janet." album came out. "That's the Way Love Goes" was all over radio. Janet had changed her image, her body and her sound. Definitely a landmark album that came with an iconic album cover (seen in its entirety on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine that same year).

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

In retrospect, we certainly liked a lot of crap back then. But you are only as old as you smell.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Nirvana's and Sheryl Crow's albums are the only ones I own.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

Janet and In Utero are the two I remember most. It doesn't seem like 20 years ago, at all. I was also in high school at the time.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

I loved Exile in Guyville.

"I just want your fresh young jimmy / jamming, slamming, ramming in me."

oh hell YES.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

ie. will turn 20 during the year(some were released in late `93).

by Anonymousreply 1101/06/2013

Putting Tag Team on the list must be some kind of trolling.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2013

I still love janet (That's The Way Love Goes), "Linger" (Cranberries), "Cannonball" (Breeders) "Human Behavior" (Bjork). Great songs.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

The link takes too long to load....

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

Except for the wretched Cranberries, R13, we love the same stuff. I always thought Dolores was the poor man's Sinead.

I will admit (even to Janbot) that I really loved this era of JJ. The Janet album, and then Velvet Rope, were the pinnacle of Janet.

by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2013

90's rock was great. Since then, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

[quote] 90's rock was great. Since then, not so much.

I think there are some really interesting people, old and new, making music. I don't think it's one of those "everything new sucks" or "it was better in my day" moments.

But the outlets for us to hear new music are almost all gone. Radio playlists got a lot tighter and less flexible, and the mergers and corporatization of everything made it less likely for a catchy song to get attention regionally or get ANY attention. We have very repetitive, safe, bland and watered down music as a result.

And as with TV audiences, there are fewer and fewer artists and bands where there's a massive audience for them. That whole shared element of "wow" is on a much smaller scale. The same audience is out there but it's divided into much smaller pieces of the pie.

Amazing music is being made, no matter what genre you like. But it takes a little more digging to get to it.

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

It's not a "things were better in my day" scenario with me. I've been able to find good pop music through the years, but hasn't been the same with rock.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

So, we have to listen to Minaj and Justin Bieber now?

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2013

[quote]In retrospect, we certainly liked a lot of crap back then. But you are only as old as you smell.

I always assumed we are listening to crap now.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2013

Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2013

I can remember driving around Austin, TX listening to the Cranberries "Linger" on the radio like it was just yesterday. How can time go by so quickly?

Just think, we didn't even have cell phones back in 1993. Did the internet exist in 1993?

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2013

I purchased only 4 of them (Nirvana, Bjork, Blur & Janet Jackson) - two of which I still enjoy listening to immensely.

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2013

[quote]I can remember driving around Austin, TX listening to the Cranberries "Linger" on the radio like it was just yesterday. How can time go by so quickly?

One of the most beautiful songs by the Cranberries. Now, it's hard to get Rhianna's "Yeah...Yeah...Yeah" out of my headache mind.

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2013

r23 the Internet apparently existed in its earliest form in 1993, but only a handful of people (usually hardcore techies) were using it. The general public (me included) didn't really become aware of the Internet until the mid-90s. Remember the movie 'Single White Female?' That came out around that time and there's a scene where Bridget Fonda's character orders plane tickets on an ancient laptop computer using the earliest version of Compuserve. I saw that in the theater and I remember the audience was shaking their heads and in wonderment like "what is that? Is that real technology?"

Anyway, whenever I hear "Cannonball" by the Breeders it takes me right back to the early 90s. God, I loved that song. I also have strong memories of "Linger" by the Cranberries - that song was played everywhere you went, it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2013

Wow... Fumbling Towards Ecstasy is 20 years old? Holy crap.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2013

In toxic environments and during toxic eras, the first thing to go is the sense of time passing.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2013

Wow - Counting Crows! WHET them?

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2013

Only Crow and Nirvana have stood the test of time from this shitty list.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2013

R30 is clearly tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2013

[quote] Wow - Counting Crows! WHET them?

Hopefully they all became mutes.

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2013

[quote]Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single

One thing you have to remember is the population. The Beatles would sell 10 million of something in a population of 150 million.

Kesha would sell 20 million of something in a population of 320 million.

I'm guessing at the numbers, I don't care enough to actually look them up but you have to consider the percentage of the population that bought records. I'd bet the Beatles would win, even though Kesha sold more.

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2013

Mariah and Snoop Dog are the only two that are still relevant

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2013

You're kidding, right, R34?

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

I am biased towards Counting Crows, because my roommate first semester of freshman year of college was a douchebag frat boy jerk-off (and no, not even remotely attractive. As a matter of fact, he was downright ugly) and would play that Counting Crows CD on an endless loop. Drove. Me. Fucking. Nuts. I transferred to another dorm halfway through the semester, and to this day if I hear 'Mr. Jones and Me' or any other tracks from that album it irritates me.

by Anonymousreply 3601/06/2013

No, r35, I'm not. Snoop is still frequently on the radio as is Mariah who is about to be on American Idol. The Emancipation of Mimi was the biggest selling CD of the year a few years ago and We Belong Together was #1 for 14 weeks. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is the most popular modern Christmas song and Mariah wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 3701/06/2013

That's right bitches

by Anonymousreply 3801/06/2013

Yes, R37, but the "janet." album is classic '90s pop and R&B, clearly more renown than Snoop Dogg. People are still sampling stuff from that CD.

by Anonymousreply 3901/06/2013

Wow, I can't believe some of these. I remember buying and listening to the Bjork, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Breeders, PJ Harvey and my favorite, Liz Phair CDs. Really doesn't seem like 20 years ago.

I feel very old suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

R34/37, Nirvana is a legendary band. They are, by far, the most relevant entry on that list. By a mile. Everyone else is fighting for second.

And I'm not even a big Nirvana fan.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

I'm not a huge Janet Jackson fan, but I still remember hearing "That's the Way Love Goes" for the first time on my car radio. I thought it was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 4201/07/2013

R15, Linger is the ONLY song I like by The Cranberries, I just can't help it! And I agree with you about Janet's cd's during that period, definitely her best work.

by Anonymousreply 4301/07/2013

This list is actually a reminder of an era when albums still mattered.

by Anonymousreply 4401/07/2013

[quote]Is this a baby gay thing?

Do you have dementia? Why would a "baby gay" reminisce about albums that were released 20 years ago? I'm 43 and these albums resonate with me. I doubt very many "baby gays" care about them at all.

by Anonymousreply 4501/07/2013

By relevant I meant still on the radio and frequently talked about in the press. Mariah may not be racking up #1's like she used to, but she is still extremely famous and on the radar more so than anyone else on the list.

by Anonymousreply 4601/07/2013

I agree that Mariah, as much as I dislike her or her music, has made her mark on pop culture. I still doubt she's made the same mark as Nirvana. She didn't spark a complete shift in music, fashion, and culture that still resonates today. She's a pop singer who can hit high notes.

by Anonymousreply 4701/07/2013

I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign...

All that she wants is another baby, she's gone tomorrow, boy...

God, I loved/love Ace of Base!!

by Anonymousreply 4801/07/2013

I recognize that most of the albums on that list are iconic, whether or not I personally enjoyed them ..... but who the fuck are Candlebox, Tool, and Archers of Loaf?

by Anonymousreply 4901/07/2013

Mariah Carey sucks, none of her albums are worth owning.

by Anonymousreply 5001/07/2013

I did not buy a single one of those. I guess I am really old.

by Anonymousreply 5101/07/2013

[quote]By relevant I meant still on the radio and frequently talked about in the press. Mariah may not be racking up #1's like she used to, but she is still extremely famous and on the radar more so than anyone else on the list.

She will never be as iconic as Janet.

by Anonymousreply 5201/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!