Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm making clam chowder .. Help

Is this normal? (See attached pic I took)

I got clams in a can from Trader Joe's - "Maine whole cherrystone clams", and am wondering if that black stuff is normal.. Do I cut it off?

I have never made clam chowder before, so I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

Seriously, this is gross. The black stuff is nasty. It says on the can they are for soup. It looks too gross to eat. Does that stuff melt and flavor the chowder?

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

One site I just went to had this to offer:

"Clams, like the northern quahog, are bivalves, meaning that they have shells consisting of two halves, or valves. The "black stuff" you a referring to is the plankton eaten by the clam and in its digestive tract when caught and cooked. It's edible."

So at least it's not shit...

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

Yes, it's normal. Have you not ever had clams?

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

It IS shit, just not pooped out yet.

And yes, it is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

Edible and appealing are different. If it's grossing you out, remove it.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

F&F for this scat thread!

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Those are whole clams, with stomachs, not really the kind for chowder, you should have gone the cheaper route with chopped clams which have the stomachs removed. I'd lose the stomach and chop the remainder, you don't want the extra stuff in the chowder, you need a good deal of clam juice and some cream, potatoes, onion and a little salt pork and that's about it. Whole clams, when fresh, are great for breading and frying, I have no idea what people do with canned whole clams.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Buy a can of Chunky clam chowder. It's the bomb. I've been passing it off as home made for years. No one is the wiser, and they are furious with me because I won't give out the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

Ok, it was he to remove, So I just chopped them all up and threw them in. It tastes really good!

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

When my grandfather used to go clam digging, they would keep the clams alive for a day or two in water with cornmeal and change the water so their gut content would get replaced.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

OP, will you knock it off with these cooking threads?

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

OP, please refrain for showing us any more pictures of your "chowder," particularly what it is going to look like in about six hours, no matter what it emerges from.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

Mmmmm, chowdah!

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

So, do you need help, R12? Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to open, read and respond to clearly marked threads that offend you?

If so, just grab the hand holding that gun, and squeeze on the trigger finger until you have a couple of new holes. Problem solved.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

R12 is jealous because he can't cook and eats at Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!