Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My mother just told me that in the old days there were two editions of the newspaper.

A morning edition and a late afternoon/early evening edition. Seems weird that the paper used to be such a big thing, now they're all dying.

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

In Portland OR we had the Oregon Journal and the Oregonian. I think the OJ was the afternoon paper. It died long ago but my parents took the Oregonian till they died.

by Anonymousreply 101/06/2013

Madison Wisconsin had the Wisconsin State Journal and the Capital Times.

by Anonymousreply 201/06/2013

Same in the Twin Cities when I was growing up. Morning paper then a late afternoon edition.

Then again there were only 3 VHF stations that broadcast 6pm and 10pm newscasts and that was the only way to get news back in the 70's.

Then cable tv and round the clock news changed things. And when the internet came along news exploded everywhere.

Today's newspapers are yesterday's news. Their online editions are where real news in real time comes.

by Anonymousreply 301/06/2013

It's true. I remember as a kid it was the Providence Journal in the morning, and the Evening Bulletin in the afternoon.

Then I recall the move to color print, then one edition per day. Now it's a hollow shell.

by Anonymousreply 401/06/2013

I saw where the Times-Picayune (or maybe it was the Arkansas Democrat Gazette (Little Rock) went to three times per week instead of every day recently.

by Anonymousreply 501/06/2013

Who needs that waste of paper?

by Anonymousreply 601/06/2013

I remember both morning and later afternoon papers. Can you imagine how many daily newspapers NYC once had - it was just amazing. The evening papers were a nice way to start the evening after people got home from work. The paper and a martini.

Of course it's the advertising losses that did them in. Companies can reach so many more people for less now.

by Anonymousreply 701/06/2013

It's true OP. And even more amazing, people read them!

by Anonymousreply 801/06/2013

In Philly, my parents subscribed to the morning paper (The Inquirer), the Italian daily paper Il Progresso, and the evening paper (The Bulletin). My father often picked up the Daily News on the way home from work (sports, tabloid slant). They bought the Sunday New York Times about once a month, but The Inquirer had a big Sunday edition, which they got every week.

One or the other subscribed to Life, Time, The Saturday Evening Post. My father, who had loved to read from boyhood, had a library night (Thursday) where he went to the excellent branch about five blocks from our house not only to borrow books but to read The New Yorker, The Atlantic and several Italian magazines and newspapers as well as other periodicals that caught his eye. My mother also liked to read but had pulpier taste and was more inclined to buy books so she could re-read the sections she liked; she did buy The New Yorker once in a while to read at work (she seemed to get a lot of breaks).

These were working class people, immigrants who had come over as babies, who had worked full time night shift jobs while finishing high school in the Depression, but they didn't think their interest in reading was odd -- it was something their relatives and friends shared to greater and lesser degrees. They and a circle of pals loved word games and puzzles (I think because English hadn't been their first language and they had had to learn it).

I may be romanticizing them but they weren't as easily taken in by politicians as people are today, and thought news belonged in a legit newspaper (not on TV) where journalists reported facts carefully, were promptly corrected in the paper when they got things wrong and opinions only intruded on the editorial page and were clearly identified as such.

My brothers and I often wonder if they'd have been taken in by the Idiot Bush and the Iraq War, the Afghanistan War. My grandfather had had to flee Italy because some people ratted him out as an anti-Fascist, so we wonder if they would have understood the danger of The Patriot Act and we think they'd have been very skeptical about Obama's sincerity (but I can only imagine my father dealing with the concept of Mitt Romney). They only bought into Vietnam for a while; and they always thought Nixon was a dangerous liar. They certainly knew a lot more about 'current events' and had a much more nuanced grasp of them than people with far more formal education who I meet today.

by Anonymousreply 901/06/2013

I am refusing to pay for subscriptions to online news sites. They get their money from selling advertising, and it is not like the newpapers where the subscribers were paying for the actual paper which they could then repurpose, reuse, and recycle. I personally have at least a dozen reuses for newsprint, but now I only use what I get free in the mail, or the give-a-way Thrifty Nickel or whatever.

If we simply refuse to pay for those subscriptions, they will go back to providing the service just to get the hits for their advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 1001/06/2013

R9, Nixon ended the war that LBJ accelerated.

by Anonymousreply 1101/06/2013

Don't forget there were extras on occasion as well.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2013

I for one as a kid growing up where all we had was a news paper and 13 channels hated it.

Basically all adults including my parents read the paper. I had no interest and even the teachers at school badgered us into projects that required us to get information from the paper.

I never got how it was so entertaining or enlightening. Usually dad was say to my mom "honey says here bla, bla, bla happend." Her response was: quit reading to read it to me, I want to read it for myself."

By the way, it had nothing to do with being intelligent. Plenty of morons read the paper everyday.

Now that they are almost gone, I have survivor guilt.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

As recently as 10 years ago, the Sunday paper weighed about 10 pounds. The classified advertising section was, by far, the biggest section. Now the classifieds may be four or five pages.

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!