Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East

It's National Geographic, bitches.

I live in the country and seems like this is true. Has anyone noticed a difference in the coyotes? They seem to be more aggressive and come closer to my house.

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2013

Wasn't a folk singer killed by a hybrid like that in Nova Scotia, Canada a couple of years ago? It's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Well, there were very few wolves. They had to do something to continue the species.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

A dingo ate your baby.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

[quote]The coyote is "one of the animals that will be left at the end, like the cockroaches, raccoons, and rabbits."

Not if I can help it

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

I want one!

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

"Wasn't a folk singer killed by a hybrid like that in Nova Scotia, Canada a couple of years ago?"

At least some good came out of this.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

I won't let my Fluffster out any longer without me and a flashlight.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

Well, if that's true, there are either some very brave male coyotes out there, or some very sore female ones.

by Anonymousreply 1001/06/2013

What sort of impact will this have on the new season of Teen Wolf?

by Anonymousreply 1101/06/2013

What makes this more interesting is that the domestic dog and the wolf can also mate and produce offspring.

So the Dog, Wolf and Coyote have similar genetic structure.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2013

Actually, I believe the dog and wolf are virtually identical genetically, beyond come cosmetic differences. Dogs, released into the wild will become wolf-like in a generation. Wolves can be domesticated in the same amount of time.

Any two animals that can mate and produce viable, fertile offspring are from the same species.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

I was walking through Glen Canyon Park (in SF) on my way to Safeway yesterday and saw a coyote standing on the hill leading up to it. It just stood there watching me and me it, it was quite the thrill! I had heard plenty about the park's coyotes before but had never seen one until then. Oftentimes, when coming back from Safeway, I imagine being attacked by a pack of coyotes for my groceries and then being interviewed from my hospital bed by KRON4 news.

by Anonymousreply 1401/06/2013

r14 you live in Glen Park? Ew.

by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2013

Wolves are my favorite animals. I guess wolf hybrids will have to be number two.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

Do coyotes go for people? Are they like wolves in mannerisms, or more shy like foxes?

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

Is this like children of Wolverine? Well we know what Hugh Jackman was doing on location.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

Domestic dogs are a subspecies of wolf. The Latin name for gray wolves is Canis lupus. For dogs, it's Canis lupus familiaris.

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2013

I absolutely believe this. Last winter I was standing on the back deck of my house in New Hampshire and saw a VERY, VERY large animal run straight across the yard into the woods. I've seen coyotes plenty of times and this was far bigger than the average coyote.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

I had a wolf-dog when I was a wee one. I loved him and was scared of him at the same time (not because he was part wolf, just because he was bigger than me). I was like 4, so I imagine it would've gone differently had I been older. I was very upset when his new family took him home. I still remember their station wagon.

It was nice knowing you, Conan.

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2013

I, for one, welcome our new wolf-coyote hybrid overlords.

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2013

y'all need to hide your pugs,

hide your yorkies,

and hide your shih tzus cause

wolves're rapin' everybody out here!

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2013

"Wolves are my favorite animals."

Otters and wolves. Theys my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2013

r15, what we are refreshingly devoid of are Marys who go around screaming "ew".

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2013

I had read about the coyote-wolf hybrids but also years ago read that packs of domestic stray dogs also interbred with them--coydogs.

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2013

I believe this. A few years ago I saw a huge, beautiful coyote I would have sworn was a wolf. I live in a CT suburb and there havent been wolves here for centuries. The coyotes are more aggressive. A large male Golden Retriever was attacked and seriously injured and a dachsund on a leash was attacked.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2013

This sounds like it should be the plot to one of those 70s Nature Runs Amok films.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2013

[quote]Domestic dogs are a subspecies of wolf.

And don't any of you forget it!!!

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2013

They travel train tracks. It's why we no longer have hobo size meat.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2013

Aren't coyotes really just smaller versions of wolves?

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2013

Actually, dogs and coyotes can mate and produce offspring. It's VERY rare b/c female coyotes are only fertile a short while each year. I imagine the the dog/coyote mixes are much more common than the wolf ones but which article would you rather read?

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2013

Funny, R10

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2013

Arn't red wolves coyote-wolf hybrids?

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2013

Does this mean winter is coming?

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

"Do coyotes go for people? Are they like wolves in mannerisms, or more shy like foxes?"

This picture of a coyote that became cornered in a store in Chicago should answer that...

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2013

Love it! That look of hauteur, disbelief and disdain means that wolf has now replaced the soignée capybara as the DL's bitchy animal of choice, for me.

by Anonymousreply 3701/07/2013

I'm a Coyote, Mary at r37

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013

OMG, R36. I remember when that happened. It was at the Cosi sandwich shop on Michigan Ave. across the sreet from the Art Institute. The workers had left the door propped open and the coyote ambled in and sat down in the refrigerated case to cool off (it was summer). I don't remember seeing a picture. Is that one real? That coyote looks awfully well-groomed. The one that was caught at Cosi is thought to have fallowed the railroad tracks in. There was also a case of one in the river by the train station between Jackson and Adams. A police boat had to come out and fish it out

by Anonymousreply 3901/07/2013

It was Quizno's. I must have been out of it because I don't recall this video.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

Coyotes have adapted to urban living and are happy to make a meal out of your pet.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

Correct, Dogs, wolves and coyotes are subspecies of each other. Foxes are different species than dogs though.

Even now there is still a huge debate as whether the dingo is actually a wild dog or a domesticated dog that became feral over the centuries.

by Anonymousreply 4201/07/2013

I recall watching a video on a Russian scientist who bred black foxes based on personality traits.

He selected the more docile foxes and then proceeded to interbreed them.

What he got was foxes that displayed color patterns and behaviors like dogs. Plus they lost the musky scent that foxes emit.

In essence he domesticated the fox.

by Anonymousreply 4301/07/2013

Did the scientist comment about what kind of pets these foxes would make? He didn't introduce them back into the wild, did he?

by Anonymousreply 4401/07/2013

Does that include Michael J. Foxes?

by Anonymousreply 4501/07/2013

Will these beasts protect us from the mountain lions that are now roaming people's yards?

by Anonymousreply 4601/07/2013

Foxes are primary carriers of rabies, so I don't know what this scientist is trying to do.

If a fox seems docile and freindly its because he has rabies and wants to bite you--does this scientist want to confuse the waters so that we may all dies off?

by Anonymousreply 4701/07/2013

R46, a mountain lion (aka cougar if you live in the East or Pacific NW, puma or panther in the Southeast, catamount in parts of New Englang) is a very powerful animal.

Chances are you will never see it before it breaks your neck. A cougar can jump across a bus the long way, and can sense if you're old or otherwise have trouble walking, and will single you out for attack.

by Anonymousreply 4801/07/2013

Yes R48, they are some vicious bitches.

There were attacks a few years back in Orange county where the cougar staked out bicyclists. It finally spotted someone on a bike who looked smaller, and it actually jumped the bike, dragging the rider into the bushes and eating her.

Cougars are arch-bitches!

by Anonymousreply 4901/07/2013

R49, left to its own devices a cougar will kill its prey, drag it off somewhere, cover it up, and eat it over a period of a few days. Where I am, people carry guns with them just in case.

by Anonymousreply 5001/07/2013

Back in 2007, a couple was hiking in a California state park when a cougar attacked the husband. His 65 year old wife fought the cougar with a tree limb and a pen until the cat let go of her mauled husband.

The woman then had a face-off the cougar who had almost taken her husband's face off, waving her branch and yelling until the cat gave up and left. That woman saved her husband's life.

The cougar was found (with human blood on it's claws) and killed.

by Anonymousreply 5101/07/2013

People who defend wild animal attacks claim that its because we are encroaching on their 'territory.'

However, if these same peole would read, they would understand that bears, cougars and wolves, along with giant birds, were attacking people when there was only a smattering of a human population and absolutely no development.

Grizzley bears are a good example of how attacks cannot be excused by "human encroachment," as most attacks occur in dense, undeveloped woodlands and forests.

by Anonymousreply 5201/07/2013

I love you, [r35]. The coyotes here in So Cal are tiny mangy looking things. I was quite disappointed to see my first one some years ago in Joshua Tree. One does not get the luxurious pelts from these guys.

Apparently they munch on all sorts of pets here in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 5301/07/2013

R52, you misunderstand what they mean by encroaching on their territory. It's not simply that humans entered the territory of the animals or built some trails, etc.

The point it that human development has decimated the amount of land available to these animals. They no longer have enough territory to survive so they venture into lands now developed and inhabited by humans.

Using the mountain lion as an example. The territorial range for a male mountain line averages about 35 sq. miles, with a range anywhere from 25 - 500 sq. miles. This is the area required for survival and mating success. It would be very difficult in many human developed places to find areas that large that were viable habitat for mountain lions that weren't overtaken by humans or interrupted by human development.

It's the same bullshit argument the deer hunters make saying the deer are overpopulated. Well, yes, they are overpopulated now that humans have forced them into an area of land the natural equivalent of a postage stamp. They then argue that it's for the deers' own health to cull them. Well, the reason they are overpopulated with the sick and weak is that humans have also removed their natural predators, like the mountain lion, from the system.

It all goes back to humans taking over absolutely everything for their own selfish wants.

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2013

Coyotes are the only non-rodent mammals in North America, which have increased their numbers since the coming of the Europeans. They are the rats of the world.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2013

"They are the rats of the world."

R55, I thought the rats were the rats of the world.

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2013

There was a guy in a Boston suburb attacked by a bobcat in his garage! Just saw it on the news this morning.

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2013

I once mated with a wolf but it didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 5901/08/2013

Pumas are easy to handle

by Anonymousreply 6001/08/2013

About fifteen years ago I got to work too early one morning, before anyone had unlocked the office. I turned around and a wild coyote had me cornered at the building entrance. I didn't know what to do but after a minute I walked toward him and he ran away. It was the same office where an enormous fat turkey vulture used to follow me when I walked home, just cruising along in in the air about 30 feet up. I still don't know why all the animals were convinced I was about to keel over and they could eat me.

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2013

R62, you stink of carrion and that cheap lotion.

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!