Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Advice re alcohol withdrawal

My friend stopped drinking 3 days ago after many years of binge and then steady drinking (wine and beer). Steady as blotto 4-5 times a week. I begged her to go a medical detox but she refused, saying that she had the meds she would be given in such a facility (Valium, clonidine, Topamax, etc.) She felt fine the first 2 days and now on the 3rd she says she just feels a little hyper. No shakes, temperature elevation or other symptoms of withdrawal. She looks healthy and in good spirits. Is she out of the woods?

I'll answer the inevitable question: she is thin but has a bloated belly. She dresses so that you can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

No, she's not out of the woods. It can take up to 10 days for the acute effects to run their course, and even on days 4 or 5 a sudden attack of DT can present itself.

But the biggest issue is the pretense that this is about drinking alcohol only. If she's not in therapy, she needs to get into it. Immediately. Or she will drink again, or the fact that she is not drinking will not change her life in the way she seems to want.

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

OP clearly wants us to react to the fact that his 'friend' is self-medicating with Valium, clonidine, Topamax. Maybe it should be a 5/10

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

5.5/10. Agree largely with R3, and also the OP is probably the fart troll--the mention of "bloated belly" gives it away.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

She has not had good experiences with AA, R1, but is willing to give it another try. She is in therapy and understands this is a lot bigger than drinking. She is very ashamed about this problem, though, and is very secretive about it. (Ie, doesn't drink in public, only alone). She has told only me and her therapist, who I think doesn't know what a big problem it is.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Most acute symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are gone after 72 hours. She's fine. If she's not shaking, she doesn't have DTs and isn't at risk for a seizure. Of course she should take valium. If she were going through a medical detox, they would give her that or some other benzo.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Jesus Christ, to some of you nutcases any statement other than "My basement is overrun with silverfish" will be accused of being an EST.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

I ultimately did it without AA. 20 years sober last year. Trust me, when it's time and you have truly hit bottom, it is easier --because you know going back equals death. (Same with ciggies).

A day or two of physical hell, then a week of hell but not as bad, a month or so it's all out of your system -- and up to your mental tenacity. Try the "I don't want it" thing vs. "I can't have it." Sorry, counting the days, chips, all that did not work for me.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

I appreciate the helpful responses. R3 and R4, if I were a troll, I would have come up with a more interesting story. Congratulations R6--yes, she found people at AA to be whiny and was turned off by all the spiritual stuff but she likes the stories. R7, you've made me feel a lot better. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

OP, I would suggest she go to AA for at least the first 30 days, if not 90 days. She can judge everyone, hate them, think they're cult members or whatever. But it will get her out of her house and out of her head for an hour each day, she will hear stories about other addicts that she might find humorous or timely, and it will make her feel like she isn't alone in this.

I've been doing this a long, long time and the first 90 days seem to be more about doing anything and everything to stay sober. After that, it's more about figuring out what is best for you and your long term sobriety, which may or may not include AA.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Glad your friend quit OP. When I quit I found taking some B vitamins helped and I also gave myself permission to eat sugar as much as I wanted (that passed after the first week or so). If she's working with a therapist he/she should be able to help her decide if she needs more medical help.

I'm not an AA fan either. I went for a while but it wasn't for me. Therapy and SMART Recovery (cognitive behaviorally based support) helped a lot.

I've been sober since 2004.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

The valium step-down is wonderful: 10s for 2 days, 7.5s for 2 days, 5s for two days, and last day is a 2.5

I spent a Thanksgiving in rehab in the late 90s and the cafeteria food was wonderful with valium.

Her gut may shrink if she's unable to eat normally for a few days. It's a very interesting cleanse. She should stay close to the toilet at all times.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

RN has a good point. Though AA did not ultimately work for me, it was a good starting place -- and they make it really hard to slip and go back (the old "they ruin your drinking career" thing). It was after a few slips that I decided to go for "forever" instead of "one day at a time." Can't even tell you the exact day I quit.

But AA did play an early role and I like that it never became truly corrupted, no fees or franchise or T-shirts. It really does mean well, even after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

She's likely to experience brain fog for about a year. If she relapses, have her shrink prescribe Naltrexone to be used with The Sinclair Method. It rewires the brain to prevent euphoria from booze and has a 75% success rate. Science works a lot better than higher power garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!