Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you think will come first: an openly gay or a non-Christian POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

Non-Christian DEFINITELY! Fundies are sweet on Teh Jooz these days!

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

I could see a Jew before a Gay, although it would be fun to see he/she do the suck up to the fundies dance.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

Being an atheist in America is actually considered more evil than being gay.

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

Jewish is possible, but openly gay before openly atheist or Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

Lincoln rather famously did not identify himself as being a member of any particular church or religion.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

Jew, then lesbian, then Muslim, then gay man, then atheist.

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Openly gay would happen before openly atheist. As R3 said polls have shown that many Americans are hugely biased against atheist.

However jewish would easily be a lot easier to get elected than a gay person.

Also Mitt Romney "almost" got elected and honestly Mormonism is not christianity even though they try to claim it is.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Correct, R7.

Bill Maher has done a lot of work exposing this issue in his documentary on religion a few years ago. Religion is a HUGE deal in America. It's not like that in other Western countries, but it is here. You have to be religious and proclaim your belief in God or you are finished in terms of any Presidential aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

I would bet that it'll happen when a VP becomes President, so that gives a powerful push to a Jewish VP, probably from NY State or Florida running with a Western Presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

What Jews are possible contenders?

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

I hope that's a joke, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Eliot Spitzer was being groomed for the job. Pity his weakness for anal sex with hookers got in the way.

Anthony Weiner was another dark horse. Pity his dick pics got in the way.

I'm feeling a pattern developing here . . .

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

I'd guess Eric Cantor is under consideration, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

We could have had a non Christian VP were it not for the Brooks Brothers Riot and the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

Read history, we've already had both, save the qualifier openly.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

We've had a Jewish candidate for VP already but no openly gay candidate for either top office.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

R16, are you referring to President Buchanan?

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

There have actually been many non-Christian presidents. Few presidents in the nineteenth century had any real religious affiliation.

Most modern presidents have been big fakes too. The Reagans went to an episcopal church once and didn't have the faintest idea how to take communion, according to Kitty Kelley's book. Nancy told Ronnie to "follow her lead" and then accidentally dropped the bread in the wine and left it there, so Ronnie did too. But they paid an astrologer $3K per month for advice, probably the biggest financial commitment they ever made to anyone. Certainly none of their children ever saw that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2013

As the USA changes demographically, it is a difficult question to answer. Probably gay before openly atheist or non-traditional or non-Christian religion. Jewish VP? Yes. Jewish prez? I really doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

Scoff if you want, DL, but that fucking astrologer's advice is the reason Reagan's presidency (a huge and obvious failure) is remembered as a great success. It's why a literally demented old man is thought of as a giant of the American presidency by so many people here and abroad.

They used her to choose the right day/time to do pretty much anything and everything. Nancy rigidly forced adherence to the astrologer's recommended schedule. It worked.

I think she's dead now. Serves her right.

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2013

there are more non-christians (atheist or agnostic) than we know since a lot of "christians" don't admit it, they continue to either go to church or if they don't they act like they still believe in Jesus or God.

So, IMO, we've probably had an agnostic or atheist.

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2013

I could actually see someone like Cantor becoming the party nominee for the Republicans... ideological orthodoxy has become more important to the current GOP than Christian orthodoxy. If the Republican industrial complex rallied around Cantor and said, "This is our guy," even the fundies would fall in line.

He would never win the election, though, because he would have to be so ideologically rigid in order to get the approval of his party, that he would turn off the other half of the electorate.

But hypothetically speaking... let's say after Obama another Democrat is elected, and he turns out to be another Carter who fucks up... if Cantor was the face of the opposition (as he very well might end up being), it could be conceivable that he could get elected.

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2013

R21, you're talking about Jeanne Dixon.

Call her Jeanne. I know you want to.

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2013

We already have a gay Muslim!

Oh, sorry.

Theirs already a Nenyan homosexual in The whitehouse.

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2013

I am pretty sure a non-Christian, probably Jewish. An openly gay POTUS is around 50 years away. I don't expect it in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2013

R25 Do you honestly believe Obama is gay? I have a hard time picking that up when I look at him on TV. Why would his wife stay with him or even marry him in the first place? It doesn't help her any, like staying with Bill helped Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2013

Parody, r27, parody.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2013

I think an illegal Mexican that worships satan has a better chance at becoming POTUS than a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2013

A Christian gay will be elected before anyone who is not Christian.

It really depends on the right person coming along, though. Nobody considers Italy a particularly pro-gay country, yet a gay man who is also a communist has been on the rise as a likely prospect for president of Italy. It is amazing what people will overlook if the candidate has the right personality and is saying the right things at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2013

The fact that there have been secretly nonreligious presidents is beside the point, we are still a world away from someone being offered openly atheist and being sent to the white house. A gay person really does have a better shot, as long as they were masculine.

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2013

There have been lots of gays & lesbians elected Mayor and now Senator. Berlin, Paris, Houston, Portland, Providence, Hamburg, Wisconsin... A gay will be elected president one day soon if the right person comes along.

Have any openly non-religious persons been elected? It's hard to know since they probably would never talk about it or be asked about it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2013

I never thought I would see a black man elected president especially not one with the middle name Hussein. So I won't give up hope on an Lesbian or Gay president (transgender/bisexual ain't happening anytime soon).

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2013

Most 19 century politicians did not hide their contempt for religion R31.

Prebyterians claim Andrew Jackson because he joined it late in life, but he had never belonged to any church when he became president and he vetoed a national prayer for the victims of a cholera epidemic because it violated the separation of church and state. This wasn't because he wasn't a joiner. He was also the only president who was a Grandmaster of the Masons.

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2013

10 years ago, if someone asked me if America would ever elect a black President with Muslim ancestry I would have laughed in their face but Obama did get elected. You just never know. Maybe an openly gay President is in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!