Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

World Figure Skating Champion and Olympic Bronze Medalist Jeffrey Buttle - OUT!

Olympic skating medalist Jeff Buttle now suits up for Toronto gay hockey club

Jeff Buttle is a natural on skates, winning the world figure skating title in 2005 and the Olympic bronze medal in 2006. He still skates in exhibitions and has found a new ice outlet as a member of the Toronto Gay Hockey Association. The Hockey News has a great feature on Buttle’s newfound sport.

Openly gay, Buttle is comfortable playing for the Toronto gay club and said playing the sport has helped his figure skating. But he still has a lot to learn about hockey.

He was also encouraged that his teammates were patient with his lack of knowledge of the game. He still often finds himself leaning over to a teammates in the middle of a game to have some penalty explained to him, but the team atmosphere is something he has embraced wholeheartedly.

“It’s fun to have people depend on you,” Buttle says. “It was totally new to me to have this feeling that you don’t want to disappoint anyone. When I go out, obviously it’s my fault if I screw up on the ice in figure skating, but in hockey you don’t want to let the other guys down.”

Buttle, 29, has gotten some assists, but is still searching for his elusive first goal.

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2014

Interesting. They refer to him as openly gay. How long as that been the case?

and I mean the openly part, not the gay part...obviously.

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

What R1 said. Weren't there frauen claiming he was straight even just a year ago on this site?

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

DL fave Johnny Weir ***BOMBED*** in his comback skate a few months ago.

He placed dead last, a huge embarrassment for a former world bronze medalist.

Weir has never won a World title or an Olympic medal, but Jeff has.

Now he is out too!

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

Is Timothy Goebel out yet?

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

LOL. It was obvious he was gay since the first time I laid my eyes on him. He's fem and he pinged my gaydar like crazy. I don't think he closeted himself.. not really, I know there was the rumor of a girlfriend once.. but I think that was more the media drawing conclusions, I think they were just friends. Everyone knew he was gay, he's always been in the glass closet. I also feel like he was pushed out of Skate Canada possibly because he was too out and the conservative asshole organization didn't like that, so they forced him to retire young.

Anyway.. I'm happy he's now out. I always liked him. He seems like a sweet guy, and he's cute too. I remember watching his programs. I liked them all. He was very artistic, although lacking a bit on the technique, like he never did a quad in a competition as far as I know. But he still had the most amazing programs, and he really felt the music and he was an amazing performer. I feel like this is often lacking in skating today.. everything is about getting the perfect quad, but the dancing (which is much more beautiful to watch) is not nearly as important. I kinda miss the old days. The quads are boring. Give me a Buttle over a Chan any day! I just can't stand Chan. I love Canada and I love figure skating, but I can't cheer on Patrick Chan. His comments and general nasty attitude turned me off him and now I always hope he doesn't win the competitions. It seems like even the judges have gotten sick of him, because he's doing worse and worse, which I'm happy to see.

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Color me shocked!

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

There is no such thing as gay figure skaters!

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

Attempts were made to contact Evan Lysacek for his opinion on the story about his former competitor, but he was too busy shopping with his girlfriend to give a statement.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

For years he was romantically linked to Joannie Rochette.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

R11.. by the media maybe, but did he ever really beard? like hold her hand.. kiss her etc? I'm not sure. To me it seemed like she was more of his hag and the media possibly drew their own conclusions when they saw them together.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

I thought Rochette had a girlfriend at that time...

Isn't Meryl Davis bi?

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

Unbelievable! I was certain he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

Kinda mixed opinions about this....

1. Buttle supported Skate Canadas "tough" campaign to get the "Johnny Weirs" out of figure skating in 2009. ABCNews (Diane Sawyer) slammed Skate Canada for this, but let the skaters who were promoting it off the hook.

2. Buttle for years has been a public spokesperson for World Vision Ministries, a member of the World Evangelical Association and a hardcore Jesus for Food and no gays allowed organization.

3. This story is old, Buttle didn't really come out, Outsports just talked about Buttle being gay and he didn't deny it.

The skating franchise: Stars on Ice, was started by 700 Club regular, Scott Hamilton and promoted World Vision Ministries before Buttle did so.... Stars on Ice may make promoting World Vision Ministries a job requirement. It is Buttles promotion of Skate Canadas anti-gay campaign, which really hangs him.

P.S. The current Director of Communications of Skate Canada, Barb MacDonald was, until June 2010, in charge of Communications for OneWay-Elle Ministries. Elle Ministries currently offers a cure for those "Suffering from Homosexuality"

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

So is Jeffery now the first openly gay World Figure Skating Champion?

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

It was Skate Canada who forced Buttle to beard up with Rochette. Attend functions together etc., yes there is lots of picture proof, Google is your friend.

R6 really nailed it:

"I also feel like he was pushed out of Skate Canada possibly because he was too out"

Talk about a nasty Skating Organization, no wonder Evangelical Christian PM, Stephen Harper just gave Skate Canada $10 Million extra for next year. Did anyone ever think that Buttle actually wanted to come out, but Skate Canada threatened him and that is why he retired prematurely?

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

He retired in 2009, just months before the Olympics in his home country. I was and still am resentful of that. I knew he was gay back then and thought he had a good shot at getting another medal.

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2013

Stars on Ice (which Buttle is returning to) is now being sponsored by Lint and IG Investors Group.

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2013

Does anyone know if Christopher Bowman was gay?

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013

Aren't most male figure skaters gay? I don't find this shocking.

by Anonymousreply 2201/05/2013

World Vision Minsitres are still very much part of Stars on Ice and are listed at the bottom of the page after Lindt and IG. I am surprised those 2 companies would mix it up with the Jesus freaks.

Patrick Chan said he liked girls in public, after which Skate Canada begin to immediately promote him, even though Buttle won the world Championship that same year and Chan came in 9th.

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2013

Why did Buttle wait several years after leaving figure skating to reveal that he was gay?

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2013

I'm not sure if it's fair to blame Jeffrey Buttle for the closeting. It was probably the idea of Skate Canada all along. I'm not sure if he had any choice, as long as he was a figure skater he just had to do what he was told, including supporting conservative politics. That's probably why he left.. he was sick of the bs. I don't think he ever came out publicly, probably because he didn't feel like he had to. He was in a glass closet all along.

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2013

[quote]Patrick Chan said he liked girls in public, after which Skate Canada begin to immediately promote him....

Those TV spots with Chan trying to butch up were so pathetic. Then he had the nerve to say he might compete for China. Let him. And give him a one-way ticket. Silly bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2013

Why is figure skating so fundie? Is it just because of money - they don't think the crowds will flock to watch fag figure skaters?

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2013

Give it a rest, Skate Canada troll! You hijack every figure skating thread. If you're going to do that, at least be more entertaining like the Janet Jackson troll.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2013

R28, I agree that on other figure skating threads the Skate Canada troll gets carried away, but in the case of this topic it's undeniable that he has raised some relevant issues concerning Buttle's closeting.

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2013

He looks like an adorable little elf that wants me to have sex with him.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2013

[quote]Why is figure skating so fundie? Is it just because of money - they don't think the crowds will flock to watch fag figure skaters?

Yes, I think it's partly that since the majority of the audience is middle-aged women.

But is it really any more fundie than any other public profession that puts people in the business of entertainment? What about Hollywood where actors who we know are gay aren't allowed to come out for years and years and years?

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2013

r29 - That's why the Skate Canada troll is so irritating. He has some interesting stuff, but insists on repeating much of the same shit over and over, whether or not it applies. And he knows he's trolling, since he makes an effort to evade trolldar.

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2013

So now that Buttle is finally officially out after all these years and is now 30 years old, does he have a boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2013

This thread was just an excuse to talk about Skate Canada? Everyone with eyes knew that Buttle was a creampuff. Also, no one cares about figure skating anymore now that the asians are taking over.

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2013

R34 sounds as crazy as the Skate Canada troll he criticizes. And somewhat racist too.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

Jeffrey Buttle is bilingual.

His french is superb.

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2013

Buttle comes from Sudbury in Northern Ontario which has a large French population, so yes, unlike most other Anglophone figure skaters, he does speak the language.

Patrick Chan is also fluent in French because he did the challenge of going to high school in French (with fellow figure skater & gay Paul Poirier).

by Anonymousreply 3701/07/2013

Any word from Todd Eldridge?

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013

Apparently Todd is straight, R38, although I used to think he was gay when I watched him compete years ago.

I believe Todd has already been briefly married & divorced to one woman, and is now with another one, and may have a child with her.

by Anonymousreply 3901/07/2013

Gay world figure skating champions: Buttle, Lambiel, Takahashi, Boitano, Orser, Curry, Nepela, Button. Cousins won the Olympics, never Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

Takahashi is not out, and I think Lambiel only reluctantly came out about a year or so ago.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

Johnny Weir is out?????

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2013

R42 you forgot the subject of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2013

Buttle never said he was gay. Outsports said he was gay.

Tom Cruise is gay too as is Andrew Garfield. There, I said it (but they never did).

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2013

In the article linked below Buttle says

"not everybody is comfortable with having a gay teammate. That is not a problem with The Gay Hockey Team."

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2013

First time I read that article, but you shouldn't link to articles that have quotes to counter you, and here are those quotes:

"Although being gay is not a requirement to participate"

"not everyone is comfortable with having a gay team mate" could be Buttle referring to himself as the gay teammate OR as the teammate being conformable playing hockey with gays.

Buttle still didn't technically say he was gay.

Obviously he is, because he pings like a Gay Pride float, but to equate Buttle with Weir, Galindo or Orser is not fair, particularity Weir, who has become a major warrior for the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2013

R47 is actually Johnny Weir

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2013

btw R47 Johnny ***BOMBED*** BIG TIME coming in last place (11th out of 11 compete tors) in his comeback skate.

Still doesn't have that World Title or Olympic medal that Jeff has.

Maybe if he focused on training and not on being such a publicity whore, he would have done better.

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2013

R45/R47, I posted a link either on this thread or on the other thread to a t.v. interview about the gay hockey league and about gay athletes in which I'm pretty sure Buttle said he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2013

Canadian Tire may have made it a condition of their sponsorship that Skate Canada thin out or eliminate the gay skaters. That little Skate Canada parade in front of the Conservative Prime Minister, was definitely a show of heterosexuality and then, only after this, did Canadian Tire announced its sponsorship. Canadian Tire isn't exactly the gay retailer of choice, actually I can go even farther and say that a majority of Canadian Tires customers likely are still against gay equality. So Canadian Tire is the one retailer that intentionally targets the specifically non-Gay consumer, hence the good match with the current politics at Skate Canada and in Canada's national government.

Skate Canada, The Conservative Party of Canada and Canadian Tire = A Gay-Free Zone. A Triad of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

It is kinda of suspicious that the Bank of Montreal left Skate Canada after 15 years, knowing that the world Championships were going to be in Canada in 18 months, then that same year, the Bank of Montreal became the main sponsor of Pride in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

[quote]Canadian Tire may have made it a condition of their sponsorship that Skate Canada thin out or eliminate the gay skaters.

They have done no such thing, particularly since half the National team is gay, in particular Paul Poirier and Eric Radford, not to mention a handful of others.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

McDonald hamburgers are half horse meat too.

Obama is half Martian and the Moon is half green cheese.

(See how that game is played?)

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2013

What game, R55? What post are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

Paul Poirier or Eric Radford have never said they are gay, you are making stuff up and according to the FSU, Paul is dating a GIRL named Lori Sildiryan.

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

They may not be officially out, but is it really your position that they are straight? And that all other Canadian skaters are straight too? You are becoming as much of a pest as the Luke MacFarlane is Straight Troll.

Paul Poirier is a flaming queen. Have you seen his Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013

Yeah, after he ends his eligible career when he's not nearly as visible.

by Anonymousreply 5901/15/2013

I don't care. He's out now. Good.

I understand cynical attitudes, but for God's sake let's celebrate every decision to drop the crap and come out. The fact that it wasn't easy makes it all the more laudable when a celebrity DOES finally come out.

by Anonymousreply 6001/15/2013

[quote]Yeah, after he ends his eligible career when he's not nearly as visible.

Has Buttle explained why he didn't come out when he was the #1 skater in the world?

Was he told he had to appear heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013

Nothing was as hilarious as Even Lysachek being "straight", GIRL PLEASE!

Anyone know where Even stands today?

by Anonymousreply 6201/16/2013

Evan got very upset when Weir questioned his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 6301/16/2013

Evan Lysacek should just join Scientology. He is another self hating queen that the world doesn't need.

Jeffrey Buttle didn't come out. Outsports outed him and he didn't deny it, mind you only 10 people a day ever read that site. I doubt Buttle even knows of the article.

Skate Canada wants all of its skaters to feel it is OK to be gay as long as they DON'T EVER TELL ANYONE. Skate Canada is a seriously messed up organization who can't even train its own international medalists and lets US Figure Skating do that instead. Calling Scott and Tessa Canadian is like calling the Ford Taurus a Canadian car because 2 Canadians happen to work in accounting at the Ford factory in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 6401/16/2013

[quote] Jeffrey Buttle didn't come out. Outsports outed him and he didn't deny it

R64 can you do your homework?

Buttle outed himself to a STRAIGHT SPORTS MAGAZINE.

Buttle gave an interview to The Hockey News magazine, the worlds largest hockey publication. It is read by rednecks and bar dudes in Canada who obsessively watch hockey in Canada. It is our National Sport. More straight men read The Hockey News than gay people.

OutSports only picked it up.

by Anonymousreply 6501/16/2013

Buttle didn't say he was gay. The hockey article even says being gay is not a requirement to play on that team. Stop making stuff up R65.

by Anonymousreply 6601/17/2013

He gave an interview to a STRAIGHT SPORTS MAGAZINE.

how is that making something up?

by Anonymousreply 6701/17/2013

R66, Buttle is OUT. Are you the same person trying to claim Paul Poirier is straight too?

by Anonymousreply 6801/17/2013

R66 is this enough proof for you

Watch YouTube Link

by Anonymousreply 6906/17/2013

I always wanted to be a Buttle Buddy!

by Anonymousreply 7006/17/2013

Posting the response on this thread too, just for R69:

Jeffrey Buttle is an Official Spokesperson for World Vision Ministries. He has been for 5 years now. They are a US Evangelical Christian group who spread the message of Jesus Christ, here, I copied their mission statement, right off of World Vision website:

"World Vision is an international partnership of Christians whose mission is to follow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God."

They are also a member of the World Evangelical Alliance, the biggest religious organization funding the anti-gay equality drive in the USA today. Buttle has also never come out as gay, so he could be at that event trying to convert LGBT patrons to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Skate Canada has become a club of Jesus Freaks.

All of Canada's International Gold medal winning athletes, since 2006, have been trained by US Figure Skating, not by Skate Canada. Skate Canada just seems to promote Jesus now a days and Jeffrey raises money for Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 7106/17/2013

[quote] Jeffrey Buttle is an Official Spokesperson for World Vision Ministries.

R71 link please

by Anonymousreply 7206/17/2013

Right from the World Vision Ministries site R72:

"The World Vision 30 Hour is proudly supported by high profile individuals like Faber Drive, Sidney Crosby, Sam Roberts, Brian Melo, Jeffrey Buttle, Jay Baruchel and Rick Campanelli"

You will also find Jeffrey Buttle's World Vision Ministries support on the VISA website and on the Stars on Ice website.

by Anonymousreply 7306/17/2013

Try again R73 that news release is from 2009

Nice try, but ya failed.

by Anonymousreply 7406/17/2013

R73 here is his sponsor page.

Where is World Vision?

by Anonymousreply 7506/17/2013

Here is another Jeffrey Buttle link, on the World Vision Ministries Facebook page, calling Jeffrey Buttle the "World Vision Ambassador".

Jeffrey obviously rates high up in this Evangelical Christian organization.

by Anonymousreply 7606/17/2013

Jeff Buttle was allegedly caught orally servicing another male skater at Skate Canada many years ago....

by Anonymousreply 7706/17/2013

R76 if you despise all the work World Vision does, why are you on their website & Facebook page

Why don't you man up and confront Buttle about this?

Then hide behind a keyboard. That much easier than confronting him.

by Anonymousreply 7806/17/2013

R76 maybe World Vision sees him as an Ambassador

But does Buttle see himself as an Ambassador for this organization.

Meaning maybe they wrote that WITHOUT his knowledge,

Why don't you ask him?

Or are you not man enough to do that?

by Anonymousreply 7906/17/2013

Skate Canada is basically an Evangelical Christian athlete association. Their Director of Communications, Barb MacDonald, was in charge of Communications for Ottawa based One Way Ministries up until 2010, when Skate Canada hired her full time.

One Way Ministries is a collection of 4 organizations, one (Elle Ministries) currently offers a cure for homosexuality.

That is right folks, Skate Canada's Director. Barb MacDonald, thinks you are all infested with the disease of homosexuality and can be cured!

by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2013

Well Jeff is openly out and living his own life.

I think World Vision took it upon themselves to write that ad WITHOUT Buttle permission.

I don't think he sees himself as an Ambassador of World Vision.

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2013

Buttle gives the World Vision speech at every Stars on Ice show.

PJ Kwong also takes trips to Africa to converse the locals to the Lord Jesus Christ. She even posts her Christian Ideology to live by on her website.

No wonder the anti-gay Canadian Evangelical PM, Stephen Harper, loves Skate Canada so much.

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2013

Well, if she's out I no longer hate huh.

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2013

R82 why don't confront Jeff via twitter if you are so worked up over this?

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2013

Buttle is not out.

Johnny Weir is out.

Rudy Galindo is out.

Doug Mattis is out.

Mark Mitchell is out.

Taylor Toth is out.

No Canadian figure skater has ever come out. Brian Orser was forced out by a lawsuit in 1998. That is it.

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2013

R85 how do you explain the YouTube Link at R69?

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2013

R82 I don't care if Buttle is a chickenshit closet case and Skate Canada is a Evangelical religions group, who can't train its own athletes and has to send them to US Figure Skating training facilities. I LOVE that fact! It makes team USA look DAMN GOOD! Lots of Out gay skaters and the straight male skaters, like Richard Dornbush and Max Arron, proudly and publicly supporting out gay athletes like Johnny Weir.

USA#1 in its treatment of gays in figure skating.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2013

R87 see link at R69

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2013

Spare us the troglodyte nationalism, R87.

by Anonymousreply 8906/17/2013

Jeffery Buttle has beaten Johnny Weir every time they competed against one another.

by Anonymousreply 9006/17/2013

if he really is gay leave him alone its his choice and his life

by Anonymousreply 9102/25/2014

Speaking of gay Canadian skaters, Mr Patrick Chan, regardless of what he claims, simply pings to High Heavens.

by Anonymousreply 9202/25/2014

Buttle supporting the Gay Archives

by Anonymousreply 9302/25/2014

2nd video in support of the Gay Archives

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!