Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Going on Unemployment

My company is laying off its 200+ employees in a few weeks and I am planning to go on California unemployment for the first time. Can any DLers share their experience of collecting unemployment benefits? Someone said it hurts your credit score- is that true? Is there a place I can calculate what id be bringing in weekly based on my current income? Lastly does how long you've been at your job affect how long you collect?

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

Hi. Disabled now (4 years) but VERY conversant re CA unemployment; happy to share. (again, my last experience is 4 years ago, but I don't think much has changed.)

They have a website - "EDD CA"? or something like that. You can even apply online; however, I would recommend over the phone; seems to work better.

Think one gets paid now on a "debit card."

I have NEVER heard of Unemployment hurting one's credit score, but anything is possible...

You'll get approx 50% of your gross wages BUT: there's a finite cap. Last I knew the MAXIMUM you can get per week is $450.00 (seriously, you could be a tv star making $50K a week; an executive making $200K - there is a MAX>

Not so much how long you've been with your compnay per se, but you DO have to have XX$ amount of earnings "in a calendar quarter." And they usually go "backwards": i.e., if you're getting laid off in January 2013? your "covered earnings" will probably reflect July-Sept. 2012.

But ALL of this info, better than I remember it!, is on the website. You may have to do a log-in thing first.

The whole thing takes a good 3 weeks to set up. Unemployment/EDD LOVES layoffs; no pesky phone interview as there is when one is "discharged."

You'll get your checks IN RETROSPECT, meaning: if you were doing a claim (the FIRST check, incidentally: will only be for ONE week; they have this damn "waiting period" thing),

ANYway: if someone fills out their form for, say, the week of 1/7 and 1/14,they will most likely be getting the check (2 weeks) towards the end of the week of 1/21 (Fri, Sat; sometimes the next Monday.)

I filed unemploy in CA in 2003, 2004,2006 and 2007 (termination, layoff, layoff, termination) and again, am happy to share!

Best of luck. And God Bless America! (AND California: until around late 90's? they were one of the LOWEST $$ amount in the US! Each state is different, BTW. Massachusetts is the highest; might be close to $500; NY is c. $465; California used to be c. $230 - we/you have former Gov. Gray Davis to thank for bumping $$$ up.

Have fun...!

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Here, OP. The chart in the link will show you how much you'll get. It's determined by your highest earning quarter of the previous month.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

Wrong link. Can DL link to pdf's?

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

PDF opens fine, R3.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

previous YEAR - I meant

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

Satire, one hopes^

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

R6, when the dog tells you not to take your meds, you need to double up.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

In 2014, everyone will be required to purchase health insurance for themselves.

There will be financial assistance to purchase the health insurance for the very poor.

R6 is not correct that the new healthcare law under Obama says that 'you don't need insurance'.

Also, businesses of 50 or more employees will be required to provide health insurance for employees. (but that doesn't mean that the employer will not require employees to partially pay for it)

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

Wow, R6, way to go picking on people who just want to survive.

Good Lawd Freeperman, it is not a crime to collect unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!