Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patrick Dempsey Outbids Starbucks for Seattle Coffee Chain

SEATTLE, WA (CNN) — “Grey’s Anatomy” star Patrick Dempsey thinks he’s just what the doctor ordered for a struggling Seattle-based coffee chain.

Dempsey said he won the bid to buy Tully’s Coffee, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in October. The company, citing “rising commodity prices and challenging lease economics,” said it planned to close a number of underperforming coffee shop locations as part of its reorganization.

Dempsey’s company, which said it beat out six other bidders, including Starbucks, will pay $9.15 million for Tully’s.

“It was a brand that needed to be preserved. There were 500 jobs at stake and it just felt right,” Dempsey told CNN’s “Erin Burnett OutFront” on Friday. “I’m really excited about this.”

Starbucks, however, cautioned that the final determination certifying the winning bid for Tully’s will not occur until a bankruptcy hearing next week.

The coffee giant made an offer for some of Tully’s assets, while another bidder made an offer for all other assets. The combined total of the Starbucks bid and the other “back-up bid” was $10.56 million, Starbucks said in a statement.

The bankruptcy filing did not affect Tully’s Coffee online sales and wholesale business, which were purchased in 2009 by Green Mountain Coffee Roasters.

The hunky Dempsey plays Derek Shepherd, nicknamed “McDreamy,” on the TV series. The medical drama is set is Seattle.

“After a celebratory cup of Joe, we will immediately begin the transition of the company and implementing our vision for quality customer service and building the Tully’s brand,” Dempsey said in a statement released Thursday. “I will be making Seattle my home away from home and spending a significant amount of time in the community.”

According to Dempsey, Tully’s Coffee operates 47 locations in Washington and California and has other franchises across the country.

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

9.5 million is all it costs to buy a company with 45 retail locations?

Jesus, I could have bought it for that amount.

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Really, R1?

Hey, you know I've noticed you around here and always thought you were cute.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

BTW what, R4?

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Enough with the pictures..we know wtf Patrick Dempsey looks like.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

read the article i mean R6!

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

I hope he has his baristas break into an African anteater dance as we wait for our coffee - that's worth a tip!

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

He should play in better movies. His films can't stand in time.

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2013

I need to see his face in really good films. He has something classy in him but the movies he plays in are mediocre. Please Patrick, be more selective ffs!

by Anonymousreply 1401/12/2013

Do you think that Ashley Judd got wet because of him when they played together in 'Flypaper'?

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

How much longer is that Grey's Anatomy shit going to be on for? It hasn't been good in years.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

Can't buy me love!

by Anonymousreply 1705/04/2013

Hey R1, my hole has been described as, 'viselike'. I'm 5'9/140/blond/green/26 with a bubble butt. Want my number?

by Anonymousreply 1805/04/2013

Dempsey's cute but rumor has it he's got tinymeat.

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

Amanda Peterson AKA Cindy Mancini!

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

sounds like fun

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

Not rumour has it, Adele at R19, it's actually documented on film if you Google it. Sort of have to give him credit for that as usually only the biggies get em out.

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

Ewan, I do LOVE you!

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!