Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any Psychologists around?

I'm studying Psychology (MSc in Social- and organizational psychology) and I'm not sure what I want to do afterwards.

I'm not interested in being a Therapist, could see myself in the forensic field (done my trainee in that field) but so can a lot of other students. I'm interested in statistics (SPSS) and hope this will set me apart from the others looking for a job.

Any advice or recommendation?

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Market Research - pays very well, and there's the political side to it.

Qualitative - Focus groups, one-on-one in-depth interviews; need good interviewing skills

Quantitative - surveys - use your statistics skills.

Plus, there's all sorts of interesting to stuff going: pyschodemographics, perceptual mapping, data mining.

If you go to Hollywood, you'll have enormous power - you can tell some hot shot director - I'm sorry your ending does not test well, you'll have to reshoot.

Or, tell some entitled bitch actress -"Nicole, of course, I don't feel this way, but females don't like you and men don't find you sexy. Recent survey showing a tendency for the phrase "odd-looking" to come up."

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Don't you need a PhD to be tops in those fields, R1?

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

It helps - because when you give the results to the client, you can refer to yourself as Dr. So-and-So. But, most do not have Phds.

It's more about inituition, knowing what questions to ask, how to phrase them. How to look at data and see connections no one else sees.

For example, it didn't take a Phd to realize that in the 70s a perfume named Charlie would sell to women. But, that came from research; someone knew which questions to ask, as regards to perfumes.

Again, it doesn't take a doctorate to figure out that Pretty Woman sucks if Richard Gere just sends Julia Roberts back to her curb (original ending). But, it tested poorly and then additional one-on-one interviews showed how invested the audience was in the love story.

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

Nice post, R1.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

It often doesn't take a PhD to do *anything*, but was just asking about customary hiring practices.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

It's not a requirement r5

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Industrial/Organization psych

Research in forensic field (cognitive psychology, eyewitness testimony, interrogation/deception, etc.) Think law enforcement, federal agencies.

Yes, proficiency and interest in stats will set you apart since many of us merely tolerated it to get the degree. Someone who really understands stats will always be needed, even if it's just a Masters.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!