Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brian Williams Again Proclaims That America Won WWII

and we wonder why the world is always ticked at us.

by Anonymousreply 6401/06/2013

One word: Stalingrad.

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Poor ol' Russians -- they did all the work and bore all the pain.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

The Allies won.

The USA was a key member of the alliance.

Therefore it is not incorrect to say America won WWII as long as listeners understand the facts above.

One some sense one might say the USA supplied machines and men while the Russians overwhelmingly supplied blood.

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

I count three factors that won that war. It would not have been won without all three combined.

Winston Churchill USA Russia

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

I looked at this quickly and thought it said "BARRY Williams proclaims that America Won WWII." I was just happy that he didn't think it was Germany.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

Brian Williams gets a pass on everything from me. I just love how he goes on 30 Rock and creates a caricature of himself.

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Ohio won World War II according to a fat girl from Ohio when I was eight years old.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

A word of advice to Americans: when visiting Europe, please do not say that without Americans German would be the main European language.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

In THAT order r4? Please.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

Why, R9? Would we have kept the Turks out?

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

[quote]Brian Williams gets a pass on everything from me. I just love how he goes on 30 Rock and creates a caricature of himself.

That and his horse-cock.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

OP? Enough.

Call me when the Brian Williams/Bruce Springsteen sex tape leaks.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Well, I would never discount the importance of the Allies especially not the courage and incredible ability of the Brits as they staved off Hitler pretty much on their own for so long BUT without the US in the fight I'm not so sure who would have won. It might not have been a total defeat but it may have ended in a stand-off with Europe unliberated. Though the Germans did a great job of self-destruction often enough to have possibly made a difference without the US engaged.

But no I would never insult our WWII Allies. They also suffered greatly during and after the war for a long time unlike the US. Hell, the UK rationing didn't end until 1954. That's 15 years of not enough food, not enough fuel, not enough anything.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

"without the US in the fight I'm not so sure who would have won"

I believe that we British finally paid off the US for their aid in WWII in about 2000?

And in many cases, the US DID win WWII - it was the most successful, rich country in the world afterwards.

Pity that, by 2008, it had all been pissed up against the wall...

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

R7 Sounds like you're still 8 years old. Are you?

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

And everyone forgets which country hard the 3rd largest navy in WWII and took one of the Normandy beaches on D-day.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

R15, stop hitting on children. We don't allow "grooming" here.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

It was Germany's desire to conquer Russia that killed any chance it had of winning the war. If he'd kept the USSR out of the war, then who knows what would have happened, although trigger happy Truman probably would have dropped the atomic bomb on Berlin.

Of course, WWII didn't only involve Europe, as the Europeans here seem to think. There was a lot going on in the Asia Pacific, and if it weren't for the US, then a lot more people would be speaking Japanese today. But Europeans seem to think they remain the center of the world.

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2013

LOL with "grooming" r17, only stating insults are definitely for children. Mature adults don't feel the need for them.

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2013

"And everyone forgets which country hard"

Always thinking with your "big gun", eh, R16?

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013

OP = Our ever present, likely Canadian anti-U.S. troll.

Kill it. ..with fire.

by Anonymousreply 2101/05/2013

[R9] Here's how I see it

Winston Churchill kept England in it inspite of England being pummeled. He did so with the force of personality, but England put up a hell of a fight. Other European countries folded to the Nazi's. Finally, America's Army Air Corp showed up -had the Norton bomb site which was better than Britains. Russia was invaded by the Nazi's and they put up a hell of a fight and had incredible losses. Then in 1944 the Army Air Corp was instrumental in shooting down and taking out the vast majority of the Luftwaffe in the air. However 1 out 3 of those B-17's were shot down. But it led to a successful D-Day and then Patton showed up and came at Germany from the east and then Russia came through by coming at Germany from the west and into Berlin.

Hell of a job by everybody.

by Anonymousreply 2201/05/2013

"then Patton showed up and came at Germany from the east and then Russia came through by coming at Germany from the west and into Berlin. "

Turn that around a bit.

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2013

My father was in one of the B-17's, was shot down and was a POW in Nazi Germany for a year.

When he returned to Europe in 1973 with his wife and her family, when the family would tell their hosts - in France, in Italy, in the Basque county and in England what he had been part of -people there could not do enough for him. He was thanked over and over. He was embarrased by it and kept telling the family to stop talking about it. But, the trip was healthy for him. I think because of all that appreciation, not just for him but the guys he was with that didn't come back. He was able to put some horrible memories behind him.

He also went back to Germany - but that was different. But it too was a kind ofa healing experience for him. He told me he realized it was time to put the hate away. But - he then got that steel in his eyes - and he said, but if you put a Nazi SS officer in front of me even today, I would shoot him dead without even blinking.

by Anonymousreply 2401/05/2013

It seems I'm the ONLY one who finds his orange-y skin color freakish?

by Anonymousreply 2501/05/2013

The Russians got in there. America got involved at the last possible minute. America didn't win WWII. It was part of a bunch of countries that did.

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2013

America did win WWII.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2013

and New York won the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2013

I would argue that it was the bravery of the French Resistance, the work of the SOE, things like Operation mincemeat, the work at Bletchley Park by the likes of Turing and the extra naval and manpower from the US which won the war. And whoever comes out with the argument that everybody would be speaking German really hasn't put much thought into their reasoning. Despite attempts to stop it by the British, Irish is still widely spoken as is Welsh and to some degree Scottish Gaelic. In France there are many speakers of Basque as well as French. In Belgium .... you get my drift.

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013

That's what you think, R39. But mark my words, Yankee: Orlando will rise again!

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2013

Brian Williams is such a pompous ass. He needs to retire.

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2013

Irish is NOT "widely spoken"! It's propped up massively by the government, but few can carry on any kind of conversation it besides those in part of the rural west and some nerds who learned it in school.

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2013

Ah, yes, we won the war.

Pass the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2013

Russia won it.

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2013

Stalingrad was the biggest, most decisive battle of the entire war.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2013

R8, most Europeans simply roll their eyes or yawn or just think "it's ok, let them say what they like but don't bother answering back" whenever they we hear Americans come out with that kind of thing.

R18, no we don't think the Second World War took place only in Europe or that we are the centre of the world, but it would be ignorant to deny that Europe was pretty much the focus of the Second World War and that the impact it had, and still has, on our continent was of huge importance. And, whatever happened in the Pacific was a product of what was going on in Europe. If I were to regurgitate with crude stereotypes, like you, I would say that most Americans think the Second World War was only the Holocaust. Some more "educated" ones might remember that Japan was involved, but only that the Japanese were nasty and evil and deserved everything they got, including being blasted with nuclear bombs.

More to the point, it tends to be a certain type of American who thinks the US is the centre of the world.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2013

Can't we stop with all this bullshit war talk? Let's get back to talking about Brian's enormous cock.

by Anonymousreply 3801/05/2013

We are the centER of the world, r37. What's your problem?

by Anonymousreply 3901/05/2013

R33 I live in Ireland. Out in the West there are plenty of Irish monoglots. I accept your argument for the East but both my nephew and niece are fluent speakers and grew up in Co. Dublin.

by Anonymousreply 4101/05/2013

R40 And I love you too. Have a glass of rioja with me and chill a little.

by Anonymousreply 4201/05/2013

R39, the word centre is spelt "centre". Its etymology is from the Greek word "kentro", and this is more correctly rendered with the -tre spelling. Moreover, in languages other than English (and Greek) it is invariably spelt -tr as opposed to -ter (e.g. centro, zentrum, centrum). In English, the historical spelling is centre and the "center" spelling was only invented in the 19th century.

R40, you sound like an idiot. If we were ever to meet, however, I would do you the courtesy and give you a hankie to wipe the dribble that's running down your chin.

by Anonymousreply 4301/05/2013

The monoglots are a small percent of the population. To me it seems that Irish speakers outside those areas is about as prevalent as fluent(ish) French speakers in Canada outside Quebec, but at least in Canada the number of French-primary speakers is significant. In Ireland, if they dropped propping up Irish officially, what percent of the population would be affected: single digits? I'd wager more folks hated having to study it each year in school than are native speakers themselves. Scotland is even less realistic, while Wales is actually significantly bilingual.

by Anonymousreply 4401/05/2013

R8, you wrote:

"A word of advice to Americans: when visiting Europe, please do not say that without Americans German would be the main European language."

So probably calling the French "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" would be rude, too?

by Anonymousreply 4501/05/2013

I never understand why other countries like to bash America when we're the sole reason the allies won WWII. Not only do we give humanitarian aid, but we support freedom of individuals around the globe. Which makes me think it's jealously. Europeans like to say we're arrogant, how should we act? Like we aren't a powerful nation? Ain't gunna happen.

by Anonymousreply 4601/05/2013

[quote]Not only do we give humanitarian aid, but we support freedom of individuals around the globe

You also conduct torture on innocents, invade countries on the pretext of a lie and routinely lie in public. How does that support 'freedom"?

by Anonymousreply 4701/05/2013

[quote]Europeans like to say we're arrogant, how should we act?

I'd say that these days Europeans find your politics highly hypocritical and far less arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 4901/05/2013

[quote]Can it match the accomplishments of the United States ?

Every country has its accomplishments. Obviously, not ever country is as big as the US, so the worldwide impact may be smaller. Your condescending attitude is what makes people from smaller countries wary of Americans like you.

by Anonymousreply 5001/05/2013

R46/48 is the same loon who claims in another thread that Elizabeth McGovern gets fewer lines than anyone else in Downton Abbey because she is the only American in the cast. Nuff said...

by Anonymousreply 5101/05/2013

Why do Americans find it so difficult to accept the Russian contribution to the allies victory was the most significant? Hitler, like Napoleon before him, made the grave error of trying to invade an unconquerable country and were decimated by the Russian winter and the stubbornness it's people. And the casualties figures at Stalingrad really is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 5301/06/2013

(16), you mean Canada?

by Anonymousreply 5401/06/2013

I know it's irrational, but I don't like Brian Williams. He does not impress me as a news anchor/journalist. I think he is impressed with himself. To me, mainstream media has not been very helpful in educating/informing the general public about their government, about our policies. It lacks depth and insight. It does not provide context.

I would rather read the news than tune to Brian Williams.

by Anonymousreply 5501/06/2013

Let's see .. it has been about 67 years now. By the time you lads are my age, the United States of America will have spent the war years as a neutral party.

by Anonymousreply 5601/06/2013

[quote] My father was in one of the B-17's, was shot down and was a POW in Nazi Germany for a year.

R24, Great story . Glad your dad got to Europe finally. My dad was a B-17 flyer in the Pacific. He was at Clark (Philippines) when it was bombed Dec 7-8. Right after the war he was stationed in Germany (my mom went with him & my sister was born there). He was in the CIC and interrogated a lot of Germans. He didn’t retire until 1961. He also retained a lot of disdain for his enemy the Japanese.

[quote] America got involved at the last possible minute.

R26, Hitler invaded Poland Sept 1, 1939. Britain declared war on Germany Sept 3, 1939. The US officially entered the war on Dec 8, 1941. The war ended in the summer of 1945. We didn't enter the war at the last possible minute.

Before the US entered the war it had begun to ship material and weapons to Britain beginning around late 1940. Without the financial and material aid & “loans” from the US (fuel, food, weapons of war, everything), Britain very well may have lost.

I am second to none in my admiration for the Brits as they held firm but the reality of thir survival may have had more to do with Hitler and his idiocy and his turning his attention east after the Battle of Britain when the Luftwaffe couldn’t gain air control over the Channel so they could invade England (Operation Sea Lion). Those RAF pilots in their Spitfires, etc were mostly very, very young – 19, 20, 21 – many of them with little training and many with no combat training at all. And yet they kept at bay the allegedly mighty Luftwaffe.

Great Britain was practically starving and even with the US helping out before its entry into the war they were losing incredible amounts of tonnage to U-boats in the Atlantic so a lot was not getting through.

Now let’s all sing a chorus of Sink the Bismarck and go home. See link.

by Anonymousreply 5701/06/2013

R24, do you know which camp? My father was in Stalag Luft III.

by Anonymousreply 5801/06/2013

R30, I completely agree about the SOE and the incredible intelligence work that went on by the UK during the war. You have to include the allies as well and those in exile in the UK - the Dutch, the Poles, etc (they also participated in the Battle of Britain) I began to read up on the intelligence work about 2 years ago and I have a healthy library on it now. I cannot imagine having the courage to do what they did. Perhaps if the world depended on me I could have mustered up the courage somehow.

If you have the chance check out the Foyle's War series. It covers the war in the UK from Spring 1940 to right after VE Day. It particularly has interesting stories about the intelligence forces. Albeit it's a police procedural but it offers a wealth of heavily researched info about the everyday lives of those living during the war from their perspective on the South coast of England and in London. You can find it on Youtube if you are inventive enough.

I had searched for ages for the film Sink the Bismarck and finally found it on Youtube. Shhh. Very good and very 1950s with Kenneth More and Dana Wynter. It's about 90 minutes long. See link.

by Anonymousreply 5901/06/2013

[quote] You also conduct torture on innocents, invade countries on the pretext of a lie and routinely lie in public

Well, jeez, nobody's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6001/06/2013

The Japanese are a bloodthirsty people.

by Anonymousreply 6101/06/2013

[quote]He also retained a lot of disdain for his enemy the Japanese.

When Mountbatten was killed, those planning the service learned from his will that the Japanese Ambassador was to be excluded from M's official funeral.

by Anonymousreply 6201/06/2013

I knew many men who served in WWII, notably one of the Doolitle raiders, who held onto their hatred of the Japanese for the rest of their lives. Can't say I would have been any different, seeing what they saw.

by Anonymousreply 6301/06/2013

[R58] Yes - my father was first in Stalag Luft 3 as well. He got there a few weeks after The Great Escape. He did recall when the list of 50 were read - supposedly shot while trying to escape. They built a memorial to them that is still there. But come January of 1944- they could hear the Russians coming so Hitler ordered to move them inside Germany. During the worst winter weather and blizzards that Germany had suffered in a century !That was the horrible "march" of about 100,000 POW's during a blizzard to Nuremberg. Lots of lives lost, feet frozen, starvation. If you fell in the snow due to exhaustion, starvation - the SS pulled up in their jeeps and shot you dead. So they carried anyone who grew too weak. Then finally in April they were moved again to Mooseburg - where Patton freed them. (I've posted about that here before.)

That's amazing that both our fathers were at Stalag Luft 3. Do you know if your father was moved on like mine was? At least the conditions at Stalag Luft 3 were livable. Not the horridness that was to come...

I have a couple dozen of his POW letters and also a book called Stalag Luft 3 - written and illustrated by fellow POW Bob Neary. Do you have it?

by Anonymousreply 6401/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.