Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Conservative Group to Punish GOP House Members For Voting for Sandy Flood Aid

The conservative Club for Growth said Friday that it will punish House members who voted for a flood insurance measure aimed at helping pay for Hurricane Sandy’s damage.

The Club will “key-vote” the measure, using it to compile an annual rating for each lawmaker.

The House on Thursday morning approved the $9.7-billion increase in funding for the National Flood Insurance Program. The bill passed easily in a bipartisan 354-67 vote.

It needed a two-thirds vote of the House for approval since it was coming under suspension of rules procedures.

“Congress should not allow the federal government to be involved in the flood insurance industry in the first place, let alone expand the National Flood Insurance Program's authority,” a statement from the Club’s Andy Roth said.

An NFIP reform bill was passed with bipartisan support in the last Congress, but some conservatives believe the program should be ended or slowly curtailed.

Supporters of NFIP say that the private marketplace will not offer flood protection to the public at affordable rates, making a government program necessary.

Flood policies are sold by private insurers who often package the policies with other home coverage. The 2012 NFIP reform bill was supported by the insurance industry.

The flood insurance bill, sponsored by New Jersey conservative Rep. Scott Garrett (R), is the first slice of Sandy aid being allowed to come to the floor in the new Congress.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has committed to allowing a $51 billion tranche to come to the floor when the House returns from recess the week after next. Boehner pulled a $60 billion (in total) bill from the floor late on New Year’s Day, provoking angry outbursts from Northeast lawmakers in his own party, who compared it to a stab in the back.

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013

These are deeply unhappy, and deeply horrible people. How do they justify this? How do they live with themselves? How did they get so much hate and intolerance built up inside them?

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

Evil rat bastards

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

Club for Growth? Guess 'Club for Greed' was already taken or was just too revealing or too close to the truth.

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

R1, this hardly comes as a complete surprise. We've known for a long time what these type of people are like. It's been like this for years on the right-wing.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

The Republicans seem to have it in for Sandy sufferers because they still believe if it wasn't for the storm Shitt Romney would be president. In their idiotic minds punishing those affected is retribution.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

[quote]Club for Growth? Guess 'Club for Greed' was already taken or was just too revealing or too close to the truth.

No, I think the 'growth' refers to them being similar to a cancerous tumor.

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Those very people would be singing a different tune if their homes were under water.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

They should be ashamed of themselves, but they left shame at the station a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

[quote] How do they justify this?

NY and NJ are solidly blue states.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

[quote]The bill passed easily in a bipartisan 354-67 vote.

Would someone be so kind as to post a link to the list of the 67 who voted against it? I want to see which states they come from because I get the feeling that those of us from NY and NJ have been keeping most of their shit states afloat for a very long time.

It's funny to me that these same conservative dirtbags from states that would shrivel up and die without our money, get to vote against us getting our money back.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

[quote]The Club will “key-vote” the measure, using it to compile an annual rating for each lawmaker.

Um, so?

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

There used to be a time, not that long ago, when it was only safe to do this sort of thing when the area affected was predominantly minority, such as the 9th Ward of New Orleans after Katrina. Now it's safe to do it against any liberal area such as NYC, regardless of how white or how wealthy it is. Says a lot about the power the GOP has gotten over the years.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Here, R10, from the NYT including a nice map:

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

Thanks, R13

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

R12, not nearly enough power these days. They've become the paper tiger of political parties.

Obama won the election handily because sane people rejected the GOP platform.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

A lot of the reps who voted no come from states with a lot of natural disasters. I hope NY/NJ reps remember this when those states get hit again.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

r15, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. This recent election was the one step forward.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

R10 Of all the states in the country, NJ gets back the least amount of Federal Aid compared to what they send to Washington. For the most part, the states that contribute more than they get back are Blue states and the ones that get more than they put in are Red states.

I noticed the same thing too R16. Part of Florida, all of Kansas, big parts of Missouri and Texas. All places where tornadoes and hurricane are common.

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2013

I'm pretty sure every single Republican in Arizona's delegation voted against it.

I also hope that there aren't any bad snowstorms in the mountains in Virginia Foxx's district that require federal aid. That horrible woman...

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2013

[quote]Would someone be so kind as to post a link to the list of the 67 who voted against it?

All 67 were Republicans according to the news articles I'm reading.

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!